1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2015 Chilli Thread

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Freddy, Feb 1, 2015.

1. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,616
    I too grow hot peppers. This last summer was a bit chilly for chillis here though so not as large a harvest as I'm used to. I will be crushing and packaging these tomorrow.
    20151010_150755.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,494
      That's a very good crop :blue thumb:

I don't process my chillies. Some of our ShineyHybrids are kept to dry as they dry very easily just in the sunshine on a windowsill.

All other chillies and the ShineyHybrids are sold for our charity. I've just had an order from an Indian takeaway in the nearest town for three Naga plants. That'll save me time taking them into the Asian wholesalers in the big town. We'll be passing the takeaway this evening.

These are the plants.

P1250993.JPG

P1250999.JPG

They are special Nagas and they would cost, at the wholesalers, 50p per chilli. I shall negotiate with the restaurant. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • vibrating_cake

vibrating_cake Gardener

Actually Called Neil
        Ratings:
        +272
        How do you go about selling chillies?
        I like growing them, and i have ample space to grow, but how do you get away with the short-ish harvest period for chillies?
        Those chillies look amazing! have you chopped most of the leaves off to ripen them up?

A little bit of what i've been up to with mine...
        My favourite chilli this year, white buht jokila (however that is spelled!)
        IMAG0907.jpg
        All of the white (ripe) ones have been picked, chopped, dried and crushed into chilli flakes. MMM!

IMAG0920.jpg

And next to our *cough* shop bought chilli flakes... (i haven't been growing too long!)

IMAG0918.jpg
        They are pungent, but have a lovely taste- kind of citrus flavour, but with a very slow release heat, rather than blowing your head off and decreasing, they start off mild and just keep on getting warmer and warmer as you eat. Interesting!

• shiney

Ratings:
        +118,494
        We grow a lot of plants and sell some when we open our garden at the end of May. The others are a matter of doing a slight selling job :whistle:

In a town 7 miles from us there is an Asian wholesaler who sells mainly to Indian restaurants but also to the public. I buy my spices and rice down there (20kg Basmati rice for £14) so I ask them whether they want some Nagas to sell and tell them that the money goes to the charity we support. Nagas are the most popular chillies particularly in the Bangladeshi community.

I started off by taking loose chillies into them to see what they thought of them. They loved them and were selling them for 50p - 75p depending on size (good Nagas as good and perfectly fresh as these are difficult to get). I then asked them whether they would like to have the plants to sell instead and told them that I could bring one down for them to see how it goes. It sold before I had got out of the door!

Then, a week later, I popped into a takeaway a mile from me, had a chat with them and told them that I had been selling the Nagas to the wholesaler. I knew that they bought their supplies from them. ;). They said that they would like some plants for themselves and the three staff that were there all wanted one. I got a phone call from them the next day saying their other staff wanted some. :blue thumb:

It's just the way you chat to them and how you pitch your sale. It helps having been a market boy in the East End in the mid 1950's :heehee:

I'm now working on selling them the Shiney Hybrids for a milder chilli, still hot, that will survive indoors much longer than the Nagas. :thumbsup:

The lack of leaves is because they drop their leaves quite easily this time of year. The Shiney Hybrids don't drop their leaves. Both varieties are still producing flowers.

We've made £100 in the last month but hadn't sold any since the May sale. I hope to get most of them sold by the end of November.

• Like Like x 2
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,782
          Here is my effort for 2015.

One of twelve Trinidad Moruga Scorpion plants grown outside on a windswept window ledge.
          [​IMG]

To adapt to harsher conditions, notice that the plant puts out numerous smaller and sturdier leaves as compared to indoor/sheltered plants.

Yield is typically between 9 - 14 chillies per plant.

Harvested on 19th November 2015 and destined for chilli sauce.
          [​IMG]

Why grow these and not the Carolina Reaper? Well, the Reaper is an unstable cultivar and collected seeds may not grow true.

• Like Like x 4
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +118,494
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
          • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,616
            Very nice. I have been using a fair amount of mine making breads these past few weeks. My friends can't seem to get enough!

And in a month, I start all over again. Seedlings down under the lights... I guess it's my own quirky way of doing year round gardening:heehee:

Shiney - do you sell seeds? There is no way to get a plant across the water but perhaps I could purchase some seeds to try to grow your specialty?

• shiney

Ratings:
            +118,494
            I don't sell seeds but I could try sending some to you (if we have any left, as we've just sold off most of last chillies, and Mrs Shiney is in charge of propagation so I don't know what's left).

Won't they be stopped by your border control?

• CanadianLori

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,616
            I have checked the regulations and it seems it is only bulk seed purchases that cannot be freely brought across the border. I have successfully exchanged seeds with a member from India and was rather please with how seamlessly it worked.

If you have no seeds left this year, perhaps you could think of me for next year's crop. :)

many thanks
            Lori

• shiney

Ratings:
            +118,494
          • Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
            +2,931
            I bought seeds from the States, and on the form contents box was marked 'Pepper Seasoning' :snork:

• shiney

Ratings:
              +118,494
            • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
              +21,802
              Another duff year for me on the chilli front. I only grow jalapeno type heat chillies but this year was pathetic!

Lots of them but tough fruit and zero heat even after stressing the plants . Ah well, there's always next year!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,615
                Not too bad a year here, despite the late start with all the cold nights & LOTS of aphids & redspider (grrr) - heres the last harvest which have been turned into power, hot sauce (ghost peppers) & chilli-marmalade (lemon drop) along with a couple of bags in the freezer & a decent number given away.

[​IMG]
                --

• Like Like x 3