The age old electricity question?!?!?!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by dodgie, Aug 18, 2008.

1. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No - I've explained how I came to join, and why, and what you allege is neither the route nor the reason.

I would be obliged if you would stop implying that I am a liar, and stop making accusations against me for which you have not one iota of evidence.

2. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Again an accusation for which there is not a shred of evidence.

You have chosen to imbue the words I wrote with meanings of your choice, and to make those meanings ones of aggression and trolling, and that says a lot more about you than ot does me.

3. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    "So you troll all the forums on the web, looking for unsafe practices or postings in regard to electricity and just join up to tell people they are irresponsible yea"

BAS, had i not come across you on other forums i might have given you the benefit of the doubt. Your reputation however proceeds you. The above quote is totally correct.

4. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Good morning friends The problem with Electricity is that you cannot see it:D But you can certainly feel it ,:thumb::D:)everyone have a good day:)

5. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No - it is totally incorrect, as I have now said more than once.

Repeating that incorrect charge is tantamount to calling me a liar on the basis of zero evidence.

Feel free to do one of the following:

• Show us proof that I troll all the forums on the web, looking for unsafe practices or postings in regard to electricity and just join up to tell people they are irresponsible .
    • Retract your accusation.

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,994
    Welcome to the forum b-a-s and the 21st century.

Just remember that ordinary people work in these places that you despise. Just because they don't understand every aspect of Part-P doesn't make them idiots.

You are recalling a past world through rose tinted glasses, the 'proper' hardware stores as you call them were worse than the 'sheds' of today, they would just as easily take the mickey out of anyone who they thought were a DIYer or give them wrong advice for fun. At least with the sheds you can wander around and look for something without knowing its name, whereas in the old days if you were a DIYer you stood little chance if you couldn't name the exact product to the awkward b****r on plumbers desk. And the sheds stay open all hours.

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Personally i agree with bas regards B&Q etc, give me a wholsaler/ merchant or better still one with online ordering like BES for plumbing, or TLC for electrical stuff anyday.

I cant stand the likes of B&Q and only use them for emulsion and or gloss paint as trade paint is so grossly overpriced for almost the same product. Only exception being stuff like zinser that the likes of B&Q dont always stock.

8. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone else noticed when you enquire if (insert large DIY store name here) stocks a certain type of bolt, screw or whatever.. they always seem to ask "whats it for?"
    Its very irritating when you know exactly what you want and why :D

Another plus point for the old hardware shops is you could buy a single bolt or washer, or be given it for free more often than not.
    It also went into a "brown paper bag"..instead of beng encased in titanium strength plastic packaging ;)

9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Perhaps we could have a separate thread regarding the likes of B&Q versus the old fashoined builders merchant.
    Its an interesting line and I have some thoughts of my own on the subject, but I'm not posting them here.

I'd still like to get to the bottom of these wiring regs, and BaS, has now said that even low voltage has to be in aroured cable, that I really didn't know.

The strange thing is that I could get an electrician to install me an outside socket according to the regs.

I can then plug my pond pump into it, via an ordinary 13 amp plug, and throw my pond pump into 6ft of water.
    The pump will only have rubber covered flex on it, which I could very easily cut through when removing weed from the pond.

Who makes these regs, and are they now safely locked away.:D

10. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I fancy it's more to do with not causing the whole house or even half the street to have a power outtage because of a badly installed outside socket, Pete. What we plug into it is up to us.

11. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You could do all those things and wouldn`t get electrocuted.. thats the point.
    You would get fed up endlessly resetting the RCD though ;)

12. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Part of the problem is the regs are so open to interpritaion....

13. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    So, and I'm not just trying to be difficult, but what happens if I plug my 240volt pump into a socket in the house and run the flex through the wall and put the pump into the pond.
    Fixing the flex temporarly to the fence.

14. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It`s a very fair point and to be honest theres absolutely no difference :)
    Some could argue that the armour on the swa would save you from a neutral/live short situation but if that happened on the rubber covered section of cable.. you`d likely be zapped regardless ;)

If you routed it through an open window or door it`d be temporary like a lawn mower lead and therefore isnt liable to Part P regs.
    The "powers that be" will probably deem anything that isn`t temporary as permanent and by that fact alone.. covered by Part P :D

15. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi they ask this because the huge superstores have everything laid out according to it`s use plumbing, electricity etc-and fair`s fair-there are many thousands of items in the place, you`d have to be a savant to know the exact position of every single item.