1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

THE CHILLIES THREAD 2018

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2018.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,494
    We've had a lot of trouble with aphids this year and have had thousands of them. I been regularly rubbing them of the plants, and rinsing them. We tried spraying with diluted Fairy but it seemed to burn the leaves. So have gone back to rubbing and washing. The infestation has become a lot less as the flowers and fruit have formed.

The Nagas that we overwintered have only produced very small leaves and not many of them, but are already producing flowers. This is quite good as they are a notorious slow mover early in the year.

Our Shiney Hybrids are doing well - apart from the aphids. As we've run out of space in the greenhouse we have been bringing some of them in to the kitchen at night and hardening them off outside during the day. We have about forty in the kitchen at the moment and all the rest are in the greenhouse. We'll sell a lot of them at the weekend.

These are the ones in the kitchen (photos a bit fuzzy as they are taken at night in poor lighting.

P1390056.JPG

They're now producing masses of flower and some of the fruit are almost their full size - they only grow half an inch to an inch and a bit.
    P1390057.JPG

P1390058.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

Ratings:
      +118,494
      The Chillies are coming on well. Hopefully in another couple of weeks some of these will be ready for picking
      P1390307.JPG

Nagas will be a lot longer. Can't see them being ready for sale for at least a month.
      P1390308.JPG

Aphid problem all gone now. No chemicals used, just hand rubbing them and letting them grow strong enough to resist the bugs. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 4
      • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,092
        Looking really good shiney :dbgrtmb:
        I have some flowers on the lemon drops and cayenne, chillies on my overwintered habanero but still just leaves on the rest :)

• shiney

Ratings:
        +118,494
        This afternoon I potted on 45 chilli plants into what I think will be their final pots. Still another 15 that aren't ready to pot on (no roots showing out the bottom of the pots).

• Like Like x 2
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          Anybody growing for a 'longest chilli' competition? Only 18" long will beat the World Record. If over wintered it should produce longer chillies next year.

chilli long.jpg

• Like Like x 4
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +118,494
            I was wrong! Some of them have really taken to this hot weather and needed potting on further.

I've been eating ripe ShineyHybrids for a couple of weeks now. :blue thumb: Not quite as hot as they will become later in the season.

• cheryl felix

cheryl felix Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +10
            I bought a pack of seeds and put them in pots in compost in the greenhouse. Nothing much was happening so I put them on the window sill. Still zilch, so I put them outside. One plant has just 3 small chillies - the others are just small plants with no chillies. Where am I going wrong please? Aren't they supposed to be really simple to grow?

• Like Like x 1
            • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +9,233
              Hi Cheryl!
              A few questions first, if you don't mind....
              When did you plant the chilli seeds?
              What temperature was it in the greenhouse overnight?
              What temperature was it on your windowsill overnight (i.e. Radiator nearby, or dropping to near outside temps?)?
              What variety of chilli did you plant?

• Like Like x 1
              • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
                Ratings:
                +12,508
                My ‘Scotch Bonnets’ are coming along nicely, I think.

13F05B30-6B33-40CD-82BD-2C5B0EFBEF93.jpeg 51D3D947-EFB5-46F2-9502-E134F0FEB776.jpeg

As for my other chillies, least said about those the better :redface:

• Like Like x 4
                • cheryl felix

Ratings:
                  +10
                  Hi, May I think. Can’t remember the variety. Little green ones! Greenhouse isn’t heated and is probably warmer in the kitchen on the windowsill. I’m probably way too impatient!!!

• Like Like x 1
                  • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +9,233
                    Ahh, it's not you being impatient, rather that chillies are slow. Very, very slow!
                    You may notice at the beginning of this thread that many of us sow our seeds in late winter. For some reason, probably a comment in the chillies thread many years ago, I sow mine on Valentine's Day. Probably because it's easy to remember!
                    Also, chillies give heat, and in return, they need heat. Again, a fact I picked up from the thread over the years is that heat is more important than light, when it comes to germinating and growing on seedlings.
                    So next year, try again, sowing your seeds in February or March, and keeping them warm, even overnight. Then they will have time to flower, set fruit and ripen before the nights draw in again.
                    This year, don't give up on your plants, but keep them warm. If temps are forecast to drop below 12c overnight, bring them indoors. They like quite a bit of root-room too. So even my dwarf plants are in 1 litre pots already.

I'm no expert at growing chillies, although we have grown many different varieties over the years, and are addicted to the excitement and anticipation of trying new varieties each year.

Hopefully, some of the experts will be along to comment, once they've recovered from the footie!!

• Like Like x 3
                    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                      Ratings:
                      +30,616
                      These were started between Christmas and New Year.

1531049541528-2021273364.jpg 15310495960601340443269.jpg
                      Tis is today's start on harvesting
                      1531049676547-1796570369.jpg

• Like Like x 4
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
                        +1,765
                        My own sauce...The Widowmaker :phew:
                        Diablo 1.jpg

My Chilli Pepper Hot Sauce – Recipe

Ingredients:-

• 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
                        • 6 Apache Chilli Peppers, chopped
                        • 2 Scotch Bonnet Chilli Peppers, chopped
                        • 2 Garlic Clove segments
                        • ½ a small Apple
                        • 1 small Onion, diced
                        • 2 Tomatoes, chopped (I used Alicante from the greenhouse)
                        • 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
                        • 1 teaspoon Salt
                        • 1 Knorr Chicken Cube
                        • ½ cup Water

Cooking Directions:-

1. Heat oil in a pan and add peppers and onions. Stir.
                        2. Add Tomatoes, Garlic and Apple and stir. Cook about 10 minutes.
                        3. Add Balsamic Vinegar, Salt, Chicken Cube and Water. Simmer 20 minutes to allow flavours to develop.
                        4. Transfer contents to a food processor and process until smooth.
                        5. Transfer to a container. Seal and refrigerate until ready to use.

• Like Like x 6
                          Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
                        • shiney

Ratings:
                          +118,494
                          Hi @cheryl felix ,

Yes, it's simply that you didn't start them off early enough but they will eventually fruit for you :blue thumb:. This may take until late summer. :sad:

We usually sow them the second week in February but we started them off the last week in January as we were gallivanting off to Rajastan in Feb. Ate some hot chillies there :blue thumb:

We find the best way to propagate them is to put the seeds on a dampened piece of kitchen paper. We put this into a seed sprouter but you can Justas easily put the kitchen paper into a plastic container and cover with a plastic bag. Depending on the variety they can germinate in anything from 4 days to three weeks. If they are one of the varieties that take a week or more then just make sure that the paper is damp - not wet.

You only need to keep them in a warm room (not a cold greenhouse) and once they have grown to an inch or an inch and a half you can transplant them (very carefully) into a small pot with good potting compost. Still put the plastic bag over the top and it will act like a mini greenhouse and keep the humidity up. We keep ours in the kitchen.

As they grow you can start potting them on into slightly larger pots. You'll know when they're ready to pot on as you should be able to see the roots start to poke out of the bottom of the pot.

We only, now, grow two varieties. One is our own Hybrid and the other is the Naga (hot, hot, hot!) chilli. We've bred our hybrids to be quite hot with a nice fresh taste and not to grow too big. They produce loads of small chillies right through to the new year.

These are some of our hybrids (photos just taken) and they come in two versions. One is a short fat chilli and the other is a thinner, slightly longer, chilli.

P1390785.JPG

P1390784.JPG

P1390788.JPG

We sell our chillies for charity and had over 100 of them (we still have about fifty plants left - although some of them have been ordered).

This is some of the Hybrids and the taller ones are Nagas. The Nagas can grow up to 3ft high whereas the Hybrids only grow about 12" - or less.

P1390786.JPG

The Nagas are all ordered, by the local Bangladeshi community, and are a completely different style of chilli.
                          P1390787.JPG

• Like Like x 5
                          • cheryl felix

Ratings:
                            +10
                            Brilliant, thanks all. Funny thing is I don’t even like chilliest - I used to be able to eat them but can’t any more. But hubby eats them raw like sweets I’ll certainly plant them earlier in future

• Like Like x 3