The cost of living... what can we do?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Aug 26, 2022.

1. john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +8,900
    I've had a Combi Boiler for years, British Gas had a new boiler offer on in 2015 for about £800.
    It heats the Rads fine although I don't know how that works.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,476
      Mine is a condensing boiler but not a combi. We kept our tanks (cold water - which you would need anyway, I guess) and hot water cylinder. The boiler works similar to the old ones where it heats the water on demand. It has a pump that is activated when called upon by the thermostats. One part pumps to the radiators and a separate pipe heats the water for the cylinder. We have an immersion on the hot water cylinder in case the boiler packs up. The only time our boiler has packed up was because of a simple problem with the pump - easy and cheap-ish to fix.

So our cost was only to install the boiler where the old one was (picked one with the flue outlet in the same position so there was no construction work). The system needed draining down and the rads flushed through and then all reinstated and checked.

• Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,769
        Some tips from me, proven to work in my household but of course everyone has their own unique circumstances.

Make a money saving chart, and stick it to the wall somewhere you can't miss it. Our one features a grid, with a column to write the date in, and a box for notes. Underneath is a list of ideas like, reduce a bill, sell something you don't use, devise a main meal that costs less than a quid per serving etc. It turns money saving into a game. As an example of some of the entries on ours, I reduced our mobile bills by switching service providers and reviewing our data needs, and there are several meal ideas on their that cost next to nothing.

Another idea that someone suggested to me is to bin the idea of the weekly shop, increasing the interval to 8, 9 or even 10 days, but still only buying what you'd normally buy for a week. It has the double advantage of reducing food waste and saving money. We've already got our food waste right down, sort of, but only because we have loads in the freezer that often stays there for weeks. But the idea is it gets you really thinking about what's already in stock and what you can make from it

One more, set aside some budget for eating out or takeaways. It sounds counter intuitive, but if you don't (or this is what I find) then when the craving comes, you spend anyway, then because it's not budgeted for, you can kind of slip down the slippery road. Instead of a weekly/fortnightly/monthly treat, it becomes 'occassional', and 'occassional'has a tendency to become increasingly frequent.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,291
        Really ? ! - find it hard to believe BG with such an offer as even back then know they often quoted £3000 to fit just a new boiler, when local corgi guys would do do it for around £1500.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,291
          Its 40 years old and still going strong, though it does break down about every 10 years because the pilot light sensor (thermocouple) burns out, though at £5 can just afford that :smile:

Yes a new boiler is more efficient and would save money on the gas used, but you have to balance that against the cost of a new boiler, many modern ones only last about 10 years * , the cost of the service contracts you usually have to take out as well etc etc, still far outweigh what our old boiler cost to run and service.

Even with the 2023 predicted rates think it would be still worth keeping, though if we thought it was cost effective to upgrade we would do, though not sure if we would for another boiler for our indirect system or a combi ?

* as @ pete points out the combi boilers seem quiet unreliable though Pete, from what we have seen our neighbours do , a combi will worked fine with their 30 year old existing radiators, the old hot water tank and hot water cyliner, pump and valves etc are all removed.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +51,884
            Depends how it is set up - we still have hot and cold tanks (although you might need a new hot tank that is compatible with the piping needed) and the heating is a closed loop with a three way valve controlling whether it is working on heating, water or both. Existing rads could well be OK, but depends how furred up they are - to get full efficiency they would at least need a powerflush. The pressure they run at is only a couple of bar at most, so around the same as would come out of your tap.

• Informative Informative x 2
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +51,884
              I wouldn't go near BG with a barge pole - they installed my mum's last boiler and made a pigs ear of it. Her new one (installed just over a year ago), done by a local firm and backed up with a 10 year warranty - I think it was around £1100 all in.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +51,884
                Reliability depends on the boiler - buy an el-cheapo one and it will bite you on the bum, a lot. Buy a Vailant or a Worcester Bosch (we have the latter) and they seem pretty rock solid. Ours was replaced about three years ago now and I think the bill was around £900. Our bills, then, dropped by around £20 per month instantly... protract that forward through the rises we have already seen and those on the horizon and that has to be getting on for £60 per month.

• Informative Informative x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +92,099
                  I think my whole system needs up grading If I was to consider a new boiler.
                  Some of the rads have been turned off for so long I cant actually turn them on anymore.

The main valve seems to be a problem as a couple of rads always heat up when the system is on hot water only, that is if I dont physically turn them off at the valves.

Lots of glupe in the system as well, refilling after draining down is always a nightmare.

The thing is, it still works.:biggrin:

• CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                  Ratings:
                  +31,328
                  I'm sure the boiler systems over there are quite efficient compared to my natural gas forced air furnace but after reading all of the above, I realize that it is a lot less complicated to upgrade an air mover instead of waterworks! That would be a disaster over here because we depend on our central heat for 8 months of the year.

I've been getting the munchies a lot lately (no, haven't needed my fudge in ages now :nonofinger::heehee:) and I don't know why I didn't think of this before. Throw a quarter cup of popping corn into a paper lunch bag, micro for a couple of minutes and add a little melted butter. Now I don't need for those expensive pre made microwave popcorn bags with the artificial flavouring which almost as much as a whole bag of popping corn that would give me about 40 servings!

• Like Like x 1
                  • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                    Ratings:
                    +7,341
                    To save money on a Combi boiler, You need to adjust the flow rate
                    there are two dials One with a Radiator pic by it and the other with a tap pic by it

Each have a temerature scale
                    Now water will only flow once it has reached the flow rate temperature
                    so it will keep burning gas until that temperature is reached, so it is pointless
                    having the tap temp flo rate at 80* before the hot water flows at the tap then
                    running cold water in to make it hand hot

The same with the Rad Flow rate if you have it set high the gas will burn and nor
                    release hot water to the Rads until it is up to temperature, so again pointless waste
                    of energy having the flow rate set at 90* when you have room temp set at 18*
                    so turn the flo rate dial to 55

• Informative Informative x 3
                    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +92,099
                      I kind of like the airing cupboard which I think you lose with some systems.
                      I dont use a tumble dryer so the washing is usually put in the airing cupboard as soon as its touch dry to finish off.
                      It also keeps the bathroom warm.

• Like Like x 1
                      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                        +49,000
                        If you go for a combi boiler then you do away with the 3 tanks, I.e. the big cold one, smaller c/h header tank and the hot water tank in the airing cupboard. You also do away with the 2 or 3 port valves. Overall it simplifies the system but obviously costs to rearrange. I've just been quoted £900 to do all mine (boiler cost is an extra £2.5k).

If it all works ok you can just replace your boiler with like for like, a normal boiler as opposed to a combi..

The other type of configuration is a system boiler, these use a mains pressurized hot water tank. They are aimed at bigger homes and can supply two or more showers simultaneously.

They all have their pros and cons.

We have decided to change to a combi because they are more efficient for our situation, 3 people taking showers at different times. Our existing hot water tank has been crammed into a small cupboard, there isn't room to get a insulated jacket fitted so heat is being lost continuously. Plus the tanks in the loft have frozen and pipes burst a couple of times in bad winters. We have to open the loft hatch to let some heat up there, so a really bad set up. We thought it best to go down the combi route but everyone's configuration and circumstances will be different.

It's not just modern combi boilers that have a short life, the other two types do as well. All boilers these days have to be condensing which means they are built from lightweight materials. Unlike mine which has a cast iron core, needs two people to lift and would still keep working in another 30 years time.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
                          Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
                          Ratings:
                          +6,782
                          That is more than a 50% increase. Bet your income hasn't risen 50% in the last couple of months. Unless you are Liz Truss.

• Like Like x 1
                          • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
                            Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
                            Ratings:
                            +6,782
                            We had a new Valiant combi boiler fitted a year ago. We wanted the old combi moved for the new kitchen install and as it was 11 years old it was not worth hanging on to. The Valiant had its annual service last month and it is rated A for efficiency. The lady engineer set the temps for max efficiency.

• Like Like x 2