The cost of living... what can we do?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Aug 26, 2022.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,099
    Strange how that kind of thing can be based on age, so a rich 90yr old gets it but a poor 70yr old doesn't.
    Crazy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,481
      I understand that the energy rates have now been set at:-

34p per kWh for electricity with an average standing charge of 46p per day;

10.3p per kWh for gas with an average standing charge of 28p per day.

They say that is for people paying by Direct Debit. I don't know what difference it makes. :noidea: They also mention that there may be a slight difference depending on what part of the country you're in. :scratch:

They also say that if you are on a fixed rate it will be adjusted to those limits as well.

I had agreed a fixed term (24 months) at a rate of
      36.14 per kWh for electricity and a standing charge of 42.03 per day
      9.01 per kWh for gas and a standing rate of 31.33 per day

I don't know how it will work for me. They will, presumably, drop my electric rate to 34p but will they put up the daily rate? Similarly with the gas.
      I will argue with them if they do. :paladin: Signed: Grumpy Old Man

• Informative Informative x 2
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +49,000
        I'm waiting till my energy company tell me what they are charging because they all vary a tiny amount, some charge as much as they possibly can whilst mine (Octopus) are slightly lower. They also give me a loyalty discount on the standing charge even though I have only been a customer since last year when the previous one went bust.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,291
          Update to the MSE report the other day -

Additional information on the energy price guarantee

• The energy price guarantee limits the amount households can be charged per unit of gas or electricity. So your exact bill will continue to depend on how much energy you use. You do not need to apply, and there's no need to contact your energy supplier. For households in England, Scotland and Wales who pay for their energy through monthly, quarterly or other regular bills, the guarantee will be applied when your bill is calculated. Here are the average unit rates for dual-fuel customers paying by direct debit:

Electricity
            Unit rate: 34.00p per kWh
            Standing charge: 46.36p per day.

Gas
            Unit rate: 10.30p per kWh.
            Standing charge: 28.49p per day
          • Support will also be offered to those off-grid, including those in park homes and on heat networks, through a discretionary fund. We've asked for more info on this.
          • A new scheme for businesses and other non-household energy users will offer equivalent support for six months. After this initial six-month scheme, the Government will provide ongoing support for "vulnerable" industries. There will be a review in three months' time to consider where this should be targeted, though further details have yet to be confirmed.
          • An equal level of consumer and business support will be delivered in Northern Ireland. However, exact details on how this will work have yet to be confirmed.

• Like Like x 1
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +122,481
            My next bill is due in 10 days time. I'll see if they have got their computers reprogrammed by then.

• Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,769
            I'm still anxious about the fixed rate I locked into fearing further price hikes.

My unit rate went from 19.35 pence to 59.9 pence before the new cap was announced. I know it's been said that we'll be able to get out of the fixed deal but until I have confirmation of that from my energy supplier I'm going to stress at the prospect of my bills tripling.

What's madness is that the fixed deal would mean my new single highest monthly outgoing is no longer my mortgage.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +92,099
              I think you always have the option to get out of a fixed deal, even if it meant a small fee.
              But this is the cap now, so they can't charge more than that.

• Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,769
              The most stressful part is I can't even speak to them. Phoning is a non starter, I've already tried several times. I usually get hold of them through messenger, but their automated response said to expect a waiting time of two days. That was last week. I fully understand that they'll be super busy because there'll be thousands like me that need to know what's happening. It would be useful if they'd put something on their website but that hasn't been updated for weeks.

But hey ho as they say. Musn grumble. It could be a whole lot worse. I'm lucky that my income is a little bit higher than it is for many. A lot of folks are still going to struggle even with the new cap.

• Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
                Ratings:
                +4,947
                I am with EDF and agreed a 24month fixed term of 29p kWh and 32p per day standing charge, contract expires January 2024. The business is also with EDF and I agreed a 36month fixed term, not 100% sure the unit cost off hand but between 24 and 26p, I do know the standing charge is 25p per day.

Gas only accounts for 7.8% of our energy mix, well below the national average with nuclear being the main source at 62% then renewables, gas then coal.

The current way of charging for electricity is, "not fit for purpose", even if gas was not part of the mix, we would still be charged the next highest cost per kWh, which for us would be nuclear.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
                • JWK

Ratings:
                  +49,000
                  Surely if you have signed up for a fixed price deal you are stuck with it for better or worse? Isn't it a contractual arrangement? I remember going for a fixed price mortgage deal when rates had risen to 15%, I jumped at a lower rate fixed for 24 months, sods law the interest rate dropped lower within a month but I wasn't able to wriggle out of it.

Maybe things have changed, good luck to those who fixed high, on the other hand what about people who have fixed lower ?

• JWK

Ratings:
                  +49,000
                  Thought it was due to change in October so you shouldn't see any change till after then.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +122,481
                    This is psrt of an email I received from my provider yesterday.

What happens next
                    You’re currently on a fixed price tariff, so the Energy Price Guarantee will protect you in the same way that it protects customers on a standard variable tariff. We’re just working through the detail, and what this means for you. So, keep an eye out for an email from us.

At the moment, our customer service advisors don’t have any further information. So, the best thing to do is to wait for us to contact you or log in to your online account to find your latest tariff information.

Apparently, a fixed price contract under the new price cap is overruled by the Energy Cap.

• Like Like x 1
                    • shiney

Ratings:
                      +122,481
                      Correct :) but I'm curious about whether they will reprogramme their computers too soon and mess things up.

This month's energy use will have been low (although we tend to have a fairly high use) and last month was around £160 without the repayment for our electric production from our solar panels.

I'm being billed monthly, not on DD but just for what I use, and get paid for solar production quarterly (they are two different companies - a deliberate policy on my part).

• JWK

Ratings:
                        +49,000
                        That's still a massive jump, electric up 11% and gas nearly 30%. It's going to cost us £100 a month more come October.

I know it's less than the 80% rise previously touted, this is how things work these days. They release really terrible news ahead of time to soften us up then come back with some slightly less terrible news and think the public will thank them. It's still going to force many families into poverty. Sorry this should be on the moans thread, just wanted to dispell the idea we can all turn our thermostats back up.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
                          Ratings:
                          +4,947
                          Yes, however you can get of the contract, for a fee.

Large fuel consumption businesses use fuel hedging, especially when fuel prices are volatile like we are experiencing. Haulage companies, airlines etc will adopt this method. If the costs of fuel increase, then your not exposed, however, if they drop below your contractual agreement, then the saving is not passed on. At the moment, I would rather be signed up to a 3 year contract, then I can plan better on my pricing, which I wouldn't be able to do when your exposed to volatile prices as we are now.

• Like Like x 1