The cost of living... what can we do?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    We keep out thermostat set to about 21C most of the time. Just over a year ago our housing association changed our VERY old boiler for a modern one & changed all the valves on the rads as well & put a wireless controller in the entrance which the guy told us was probably the coldest place in the flat.

We started out with automatic control although he told me most people prefer manual. He set it for us at 22C (I remember he said "You like it warm,eh?") We have lived in this flat for 21 years now & we find that if the temp in our living room is below 24C we feel uncomfortable. I told him 22C feeling a bit too embarrassed to say 24C! I intended to put it up the other 2C after he had left but never got around to doing it as I couldn't remember how he set it all up!

Until last year we had always shut all the doors in our flat & even putting a draught excluder on our living room door. We have had thermal curtains on the windows in our living room, from ceiling to floor. A few years after we moved in my wife wanted a change of curtains but we didn't want to remove the thermal ones so we put the new curtains over the top of them! :) (Handmade by my wife!)

Now that the weather has turned colder we put the heating on at 7am & turn it off at 10pm. Some days when it warms up a bit & the sunshine enters the flat I turn it off for 2-3 hours. We now use manual control. But I have lowered the temp to just 21C as any lower we feel cold. This weekend I've tried reducing it to 20.5C but I may have to put it up a fraction if the weather gets much colder.

When I go to put it on at 7am the thermostat says 19C. On a couple of days last week it registered 18.5 or even one day, 18C! That's far too cold for us. We are both in our 70s & no longer "spring chickens" & feel the cold more.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,138
      Can someone explain why you have to turn up the thermostat in cold weather?

I think if the thermostat is working properly you shouldn't have to.
      I know mine doesn't work well, but its 40 yrs old.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +49,028
        I am a bit mystified too.

• Like Like x 1
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +51,885
          I think it is exactly the same principle as that where some 22º can feel nice and warm in my car, yet not warm enough in my house - - it comes down to draughts/air movement within the building and also other factors such as how good your carpeting/underlay is, whether your floors are concrete or wood, whether your heating is solely convection (be it wet or dry) or includes radiation or conduction.

The temperature in here is set to 22º at desk height because that is where our thermostat sits - a couple of feet lower than that at the floor level, it is 20º or below (concrete floors, worn out carpets and underlay)

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,769
            Dunno about a 40 year old one, but I see modern central heating comes with thermostatic valves. That seems pointless to me. So you monitor the temperature literally right next to the radiator. The main thermostat, from what I've seen, is often in an equally useless place, high up the wall nowhere near a window in many cases. Hardly representative of the temperature near the sofa.

My fancy infrared thing has a pointless thermostat. Its sensor protrudes on a stalk about 2 inches below the panel. Given that it's a radiator rather than a convector, that means it will never be accurate. If I was less lazy I'd get my kids involved in a little electronics project to build a WiFi enabled thermostat and configure Google to switch the panel on or off based on the temperature of the wall next to the sofa.

• Informative Informative x 4
            • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
              Ratings:
              +33,006
              We don't have anything with a thermosat :biggrin: and nowt that has to run with Elecy(we get to many power cuts)
              We have a Rayburn for cooking on and it does has a heating side to it but that's too many £'s to run,
              we also have a Efel which is the same as the rayburn but not for cooking
              We also have a log burner
              All 3 are runing now, but if/when it gets warmer the Efel will be turned out, our house is in a L shape and big (22 window's & 4 double bedrooms) and the 3 are in the corners, all running on tick over 24/7 and nice and cozzy, the cool part of the house is 19c and no heating is on up stairs the only heat is from the 3 app going from ground floor up the stairs we don't shut any door's so air moves around the house
              the warmish part is the living room but i don't now the temp but tis nice
              :coffee: we allways leave the log burner ticking over even if the temp goes high just to keep the walls of the house warm

• Like Like x 5
              • Informative Informative x 1
                Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
              • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
                Ratings:
                +55,199
                We have 60cm/2 feet thick walls and are open plan with no central heat. When we put the heat on we set it at 22c We often have it on all day (9am-9pm) in the open-plan lounge. We have it on in the bedroom (which does not have a door) from 8-11pm and 7-9am (we don't get up till 9 as we watch the morning news in bed with tea/coffee)). Lighting the wood fire heats up the walls. We don't use anything, heat or air, for perhaps seven months of the year. In our mid 70s we don't like or plan on being cold.

• Like Like x 4
                • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
                  Ratings:
                  +54,381
                  So long as our family lounge is warm that's all we really and truly need. Nothing's worse that finally being able to sit and relax in the evening and ..feel cold! :yikes: 18- 20C is perfect.:dbgrtmb: We could also have an open fire in there if we really needed to , but haven't for over 30 years. The flue is blocked but it can quickly and easily be removed if suddenly needed.

Kitchen about 18C.

The kitchen, family lounge and downstairs toilet are all next to each other and sectioned off together from the main hallway by a door. So on a cold wet day we can remain snuggly warm in that part of the house not really needing to venture anywhere else until bedtime.

We want to stay in our house ,that hubs drew up the renovation plans for and did most of the rebuild himself, for as long as possible ..if not forever. But in doing so we must be sensible about how we use it's size during the Winter. We both feel it would not only be unnecessarily expensive but also very wasteful heating up the entire house that isn't used for only 2 people.

So upstairs we only have the landing heater on as we both can't sleep in a warm bedroom.

Bathrooms have heaters but we tend to not bother with them throughout the day , only having them on for an hour before showering.

Even when our brood were still with us we never set the temps higher ,the only difference was that their bedroom heaters were on.

As our house is on the large size (26 windows and 6 bedrooms) and for the last 14 years it's just been the two of us we have always been aware to conserve energy and use it in a way that doesn't cause unnecessary wastage .

We close off the big main lounge ,only using it if all the family come down at the same time in Winter.

We keep our bedroom door open so the landing heater provides enough heat to take the edge off any possible coldness to provide us with our perfect sleeping temperature.

We only use the main door in Winter because of the way our outside plot is shaped ( wraparound) we don't need to use the kitchen patio doors and the back door as well at this time of year.

The main door is set within a large lobby area so doesn't open up directly to the outside.

We haven't had to think about or change our ways of using energy as we have always used it as wisely as possible.

• Informative Informative x 5
                  • Like Like x 1
                    Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
                  • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
                    Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
                    Ratings:
                    +6,782
                    That is far too low a temperature for me. 18C. My house only dips to that at the end of a night with no heating on.

• Agree Agree x 3
                    • Jocko

Ratings:
                      +6,782
                      I have great trouble explaining to my good lady how the heating works. She will point out that it is going to be a cold night so we better turn the thermostat up! She also reckons the radiators get too hot if she puts the Boost on (26C) but are okay if she turns the stat up to 24C. I try to explain that the radiators heat up to the same temp irrespective of what the settings are. If they are on they are hot, if they are off they are not. She goes to her bed, the heating goes off, she turns the stat up (from her phone) then falls asleep. If I don't notice it is on, then it is on all night. The Boost however is only on for a short burst.

• Informative Informative x 4
                      • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +54,381
                        I'm like @redstar , can't cope with being too warm within an enclosed space. As I said in my above post 18- 20 is perfect but even then I often have to go walkabout around the cooler parts of the house just to feel able to breathe in cooler air. Perhaps I overheat too easily.:roflol:

• Like Like x 4
                        • Jocko

Ratings:
                          +6,782
                          I joke with my wife that women may be able to multitask but men can control their body temperature. She tends to be either too hot or too cold. I keep getting asked, "Is it too hot or is it me?" or "Is it too cold or is it me?". My answer is always the same. "It's you.".

• Funny Funny x 5
                          • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +54,381
                            Actually I agree with you @Jocko ...so would my hubs!!:heehee:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                            Ratings:
                            +122,499
                            As @Fat Controller the feel of warmth is the actual temperature together with humidity and a number of other factor which are governed by the outside temperature and construction of the property.

In theory, changing the setting on the thermostat or stats shouldn't be necessary but these other factors govern the situation. The main thermostat is normally placed at approx. 5ft height (I can't remember how high it is supposed to be set in a work environment but it used to be given as an exact height and the inspector made me move it by 2" in the staff room :rolleyespink:. He was a Jobsworth and couldn't find anything else to complain about and one of my staff called him an idiot to his face :heehee:). All it does is measure the temperature at that height so it would be higher above that height and lower below.

In the winter the ambient temperature at different heights varies much more than in the summer. This is mainly because of factors that vary depending on the building structure. So, concrete floors are colder than 'floating' floors and the thickness of the floor covering makes a significant difference. Downdrafts on the windows have a fairly large impact and that is also governed by the strength of the wind and the outside temperature as well as the quality of the glazing. Other draughts are also a factor. Underfloor heating is said to be more efficient than radiator systems as the heat rises and makes the lower levels more comfortable.

That is also why the heat pump systems, which can't produce as much heat as boilers, are really only recommended to be used with underfloor heating unless you can afford an oversized system and are able to install larger radiators.

So the temperature at the height of the wall thermostat is only a guideline which alters depending on the other factors above. It is then down to you to find what setting makes you comfortable. So a setting of 19C in one house may be the same comfort level as a setting of 22C in another house. Similarly the rad thermostats measure the temperature around the thermostat and this can be affected by floor temperature, downdrafts (they are quite often sited under windows for practical purposes) and by how close furniture is to the thermostat.

That is why the setting often needs to be changed depending on the time of year and outside weather.

• Informative Informative x 2
                            • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
                              Ratings:
                              +55,199
                              Totally agree here. With an open plan house and 5 meter angled ceilings (5 meter one side, 3.5 meters the other) except kitchen and bathrooms, there is no fear of ever being too warm, except in the heat of the Summer. The only internal doors we have is to the main bathroom and the spare room (and these are always open) which has the en-suite with cafe swing doors which the kitchen also has from the lounge.

• Like Like x 2
                              • Informative Informative x 2