The Eden Project

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by Fran, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Mel

Mel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Your pictures look great Fran. I keep meaning to go and visit but never get round to it with one thing or another and I only live about an hour from it! I really must make the effort one weekend

2. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Rich and Marge - have a great time!!!!!!

Mel - if you live so near, its worth getting a passport ticket - its valid for unlimited entry for a year and is only a little more in price.. Around Christmas, they have been doing buy a normal ticket and get a free passport upgrade in the past - well worth it if they do that again this year....

3. Mel

Mel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info honey bee. Will look out for that around Christmas.
    Has anyone taken young children there? My son is 6 and that's part of the reason I've been wary about going as I wonder whether he'd be bored and then ruin the whole experience for me?

4. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Ratings:
    +54
    My two horrors love it there. The jungle dome blew them away totally - and there is so much to see outside (plus steep climb out) it always wears them out!!!!!!!!

5. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi honey bee, I get asthma when I go inside big domes and big greenhouses. last year I went with family to kew gardens a few days later I was in hospital with asthama for 10 days, its the spores in the domes and greenhouses.
    its a nice place for children to visit. glad your children liked it. [​IMG]

6. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Ratings:
    +54
    Oh Dear Fancy - Hope you are fully recovered now.... The kiddies loved Heligan too, especially the Italian sunken garden, because the froglets were migrating and all over the path, so they spent an hour or so running around picking them up and warning anyone comming in to look where they trod!!!! :rolleyes:

7. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to go there on a visit honey bee, but the kew gardens glass houses done me last year.it was beautiful though to see all the plam trees bananas and lots of tropicals even a pepper climber. I am glad your kiddies enjoyed it.you must visit kew. lots for children to see there.kids will love it in the bamboo area, play area for the children there.

8. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi Fancy

I have never been to Kew - have promised the kiddies a day out there - it is probably about 1 1/2hrs max drive from here, we always say we are going, but never get around to it!!!!! Really MUST make an effort...

9. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HONEYBEE, WHEN we went last year we got there for 10am and parked in their car park all day .we came out and we had a picnic lunch time but we could have had our picnic in KEW itself.when you get back in you dont have to pay again.its also good for disable people they have wheel chairs and motorize scooters for a small fee.

10. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,674
    Shame on you H, not been to Kew? seriously though, if you do you could nip across to the Palm Centre nursery other side of the Thames. You might need a trailer for the plants they have. [​IMG]

11. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    strongylodon, do you think they have a web site.?

12. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm back and filled with mixed emotions.

Heligan was wonderful, can't wait to go back in the spring.

I found the Eden Project a sheer and utter bore. I felt like I was on a school trip, being educated about subjects which don't interest me.

Maybe I'm just thick, but what was all that planting outside in rows all about? I don't mean the vegetables, I mean the strips of the same flowers.

I realise the planting inside the Bioms is relatively new, but the warm Temperate California was so poor I couldn't find anything to photograph (I took over 600 photographs in the 4 days we were there).

What was that art all about? Surely they shouldn't be wasting space in a controlled environment to pile up a load of scrap iron.

Very disappointed. I'll be publishing my Heligan photos soon.

13. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi Strongy and Fancy

We would take our own food, but wouldn't take it in with us, mainly because we would need a wheelbarrow!!!!! (would come in handy for the palm centre, though - duly noted, Strongy!!! ;) ;) ) )The boys eat bucket-loads of food, being growing lads 'n all that ma-larky!!)
    As for the trailer, I have an estate car, and the boys are used to being squashed onto 1/2 the back seat..... but then again, if I go equipped with Mr HB's credit card, I'm sure there is a train station nearby I can drop them off at!!!!!!!!! :D :D What is the best time of year to go? I suspect it would be the Summer?

Rich
    So sorry you didn't enjoy Eden. We got so much out of it through the boys. Watching their awe and reactions to the Jungle dome. Looking for the tree frogs and watching the ants go up and down the trees. - mind you, we did spend so much time in the bi-omes that we tore around outside.....
    We have been there 3 times now, and the 2nd time we went the Temperate biome was being re-planted, so there were quite a few bare patches. What did you think of the Jungle walk at Heligan? We loved it. The HUGE Gunneras and Tree Ferns!!! The rare breeds chickens were a treat for the boys too. I must admit, we didn't go to Eden this year as we managed to go to at least 2 other places for the price of one day at Eden....

14. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fancy
    Try here
    http://www.thepalmcentre.co.uk/
    & here for Kew
    http://www.kew.org/
    Hi Rich - I'm sorry too that you didn't fully enjoy the Eden Experience - I went 2 years ago in August & it was fab (I too had a small boy in tow, Honey Bee!)
    Heligan, I visited last year on my own (ah, bliss...), the Jungle Valley was totally gorgeous as were the rest of the gardens.
    Has anyone been to Trebah? (near Falmouth) or The Garden House at Buckland Monochorum in Devon? (This is one of my faves)

15. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HB we went in august andwe came out of kew for a picnic then went back in again. your boys will love it .

sorry RICH you did not enjoy EDEN.