The Eden Project

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by Fran, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    It's just the way I have always been. When I was at school, if didn't like the subject I couldn't be bothered with it. I always said, I learnt more at the library reading up on subjects not taught at school than any teacher taught me.

Even the statues are great at Heligan, I'm not an art lover, but I can appreciate something different, and the mud lady and the giant's head are superb.

I'm interested in plants, gardens, water and wildlife, but the things they were trying to ram down my throat at Eden just made me roll my eyes. The incessant racket of tom-toms playing all day drove us both nuts.

The highlight at Eden was the nursery at the end. Unfortunately, we'd driven down there in my wife's car, and being a Mazda MX-5 there wasn't room for more than the packet of antirrhinum seeds I bought at Heligan.

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm with you a bit on this Rich. Not sorry I went and would not have missed - and found the DVD helpful in explaining the themes in the outside biome. But I doubt if I will revisit. Heligan however I will be revisiting at different seasons - loved that garden - a celebration to gardeners.

3. painted lady

painted lady Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello
    I have been reading about how much you enjoyed the Eden Project and I am very much looking forward to seeing it in the school holiday week in October.
    However I have 2 teenagers and as you can guess plants to them are boring and not cool. I wonder if anyone could tell me if maybe once they are there they would actually find things that are interesting and want to explore more. Hopefully I won't be getting earache to leave after 20 minutes ha ha.
    Thanks all

4. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I've been sitting here for 5 minutes working on the reply to your question, and as I found the place a total bore it is difficult for me to think of anything that would be of interest to them.

5. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say I agree with Rich and Fran too - I was disappointed :( Didnt get to Heligan cos the weather was just too bad but we plant to go back next year just to do that and a couple of the local gardens near Fowey that looked interesting [​IMG]

6. painted lady

painted lady Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Well I am a bit disappointed that it seems the Eden Project isn't all I thought it might be. Thanks for your opinions though. Rich, honesty rules mate.
    Seems however the problem may be solved. My daughter fell and sprained her ankle today so looks like walking may be off the agenda next week. Might have to sit on St Ives beach instead and be dive bombed by seagulls after my chips. I'll take some plasters and a helmet.

7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Eden is a "not to be missed" place - spectacular, and interesting. Not sorry I went and enjoyed my visit, but will not go again for a good while. Heligan - now thats a whole different ball game, and hopefully will revisit soon - I'd like to see it in different seasons.

Hope your daughter's ankle heals quickly, and does not get in the way of what you all want to do.

8. gandygardener

gandygardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i went over the bank holiday stayed in perranporth must have spent 4 or 5 hours walking around brillant place [​IMG] loved the jungle dome well hot [​IMG] really enjoyed it even though it was a bit Ã?£Ã?£Ã?£Ã?£Ã?£ to get in if you go check the elvis taxi ride out at the top as you go out a bit different but funny (oh and see if you can crush nut) ;) .

9. AndyK

AndyK Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I went to the eden project over bank holiday too, i was stopping at portreath, weather was fantastic! Eden project was brilliant, cant wait to get my own garden so I can use the inspiration i got from there!

10. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have to agree with the others who were disappointed with the Eden Project.

My son and I took a camping trip to Cornwall 3 or 4 years ago now - with the sole object of going to Eden. The journey took 9 hours.

We didn't get off to a good start, as the lady at the pay-in desk drove me to tears of humiliation by loudly and rudely questioning my request for a concession ticket (I ended up paying full price, even though was fully qualified as a concession - as was not working at the time - after recovering from a brain tumour).

Putting that as far to the back of my mind as possible (not easy) - I found the biomes themselves quite spectacular - but their contents nothing special (perhaps was spoiled having been brought up with the hot houses in the Edinburgh Botanics?) I did like some of the outdoor displays - and some of the creativity - but I was no where near wow-ed - and was therefore bitterly disappointed.

The shop was quite good though...

Heligan on the other hand, was incredible. The green houses were fascinating, the history breathtaking, the jungle unbelievable - the whole day just so special, it remains one of those highlights in life! [​IMG]

11. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, another nay vote from us, not impressed at all. A good idea in some respects, construction OK, but the "exhibits" poorly done, you always knew it was artificial, in these days the ability to make things seem natural exists, but this was not done.
    Cheers MIKE

12. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What a shame, I've been really keen to visit the Eden project expecting to be wowed by forward thinking projects. It would be a 2 day trip or so for me but the negative reviews have really put me off.
    Maybe I'll save it up as part of a future trip rather than a special visit.

TO

13. digital flower

digital flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been to the Eden Project and loved it. I visited Cornwall in the off season and spent most of the day at Eden. I have to give it high marks just for the sheer scope and ambition in the project. I loved it after dark. I think those rows of flowers are trial gardens in the front (could be wrong).