The End of the World is Nigh!

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by lollipop, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    But lets not all disapear up our collective black hole trying to agree with eachother;)

2. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817

Ask Carl, he thinks the money would be better spent on such issues. If you read back you will see how that came into the equasion.

3. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    It was a rhetorical and sarcastic question, I have read the thread.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,084
    Apparently it was a sucsess, and we are all still here.

So things cant be bad.

And when you hear all the spin offs that have come from this experiment already, you really have to think that maybe it is worthwhile afterall..

5. plantlife

plantlife Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Here's hoping they find Higg's boson otherwise there'll be multiple scratching of heads:D. Maybe they'll find we're all part of a computer game devised by some geek from another Space/time continnumm as has been suggested before:D

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Carl,

Specifically who would you give the money to?

The governments of starving nations? They already have Bentleys and Rolex`s, and 8 bedroom villas etc, whilst the children are starving.

Or perhaps you would send in a UN security team whilst builders built the hospital or houses etc, so they have been built yeah?-Now who do you give the keys to? Because the second your back is turned the country`s militia has moved in, and commandeered the whole lot on behalf of said crooked government-that is of course unless the guerrilla groups haven`t got there first and done exactly the same thing.

People don`t starve because we (the ordinary Joe I mean), in developing countries, don`t care or don`t give, they starve because their own governments have been left with or have created themselves, a situation where the various different factions want power-at any cost. Starving babies?-who cares about them when they are on their way to the top.

Poverty is not a good enough excuse to drag ourselves back into the dark ages where the morality of the day dictated our own evolution.

If you are genuinely interested in changing the world-oh to feel that again, then found out the causes of poverty in each individual country and the history behind it. It doesn`t make for comfortable reading.

8. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Oh to be that young and naive again, the innocence of it all or ignorance not sure. Or is it demonstrating just how bad our education system is at teaching geography, history and current affairs these days. Anybody seen those pictures of Robert Mugabe's palacial residence while his people scra pe for food? Sorry this thread really has gone off subject now.

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Oh, I don`t know. I don`t think it is completely off subject, I do like the way discussions on here meander and the come back together again.

Scientific progress has helped those most in need, the most-at least now we can see what is going on, and begin to galvanise action, many many millions have died and we haven`t seen it til too late-look at the Holocaust. There is a particular photo taken just before one of those mass shootings, a group of women, with what looks like a 9 or 10 yr old little girl hiding her face behind her mother`s arm, whilst the evil illegitimate children took a "holiday" pic. She haunts me that girl. Bless her soul.

We have to push forward.

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    "sorry just annoys me, and poverty can be stopped you build houses hospitals give em clean water condoms etc and it`ll stop"

Throwing money at problems sutch as these does not work, a lot of the problems are social ones eg the contraception isue in third world countrys.

Western interference rarely works or is apropriate, take iraq as an example.

11. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Charity begins at home if u ask me we should sort the people suffereing in this county before we try to solve the problems of other nations ..............

12. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Slightly whacky-but the word illegitimate children got through the swear filter.

13. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
  14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Is it the start of the end?

Just a point added to all this, regardless as to any opinions-CERN invented the world wide web.

15. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    As I said earlier we shouldnt knock science.