The Final Tomato Questions ?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Smiffy, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Sorry, wasn't clear in my description. Joist hangers were for the three "fixed" sides, so that the contraption could be de-constructed and moved.

"Mrs JWK might veto me having a series of bins coming down the hillside though"

That will be the CURRENT Mrs JWK will it? :D

I'm sure you noticed, but the clip-together-30-quid one is a swine to empty.

" Sounds like you have too many choices at the moment!"

I'm trying to think of a project for my free 3am-4am slot :(

2. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks all for the replies.......
    I will get my watering and feeding regime in order as advised in the answers above - dunno if I can water 3 times a day though!

cheers all again. :)

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "dunno if I can water 3 times a day though!"

I don't know how important that is. When I go out to the greenhouse at lunch time the top soil in the pots is starting to feel dry. I don't suppose it would matter much if I left them until the evening.

A drip-irrigation system would fi that, of course, and be unattended :thumb:

4. Synthhead

Synthhead Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    JWK - I was planning on getting some pallets from a friend, and looking at her design to see how she did it, but in fact you guys are far more knowledgeable than I am about compost heap design ! She did mention using them "as is" somehow to allow ventilation......

cheers,
    Dave

5. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Now Kristen thats my kind of gardening mate !Must put it on the project list for next year :)

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "She did mention using them "as is" somehow to allow ventilation....."

Indeedie ... they are the right size to for the sides, so just stand them on edge, arrange into the shape of a box, and nail them together. The floor should be bare earth, no pallet needed, and you'll need something to stop it getting drenched in heavy rain (or drying out), and to keep the heat in. A bit of old 3' x 3' carpet will do, the thicker the better.

However ... I think that is too much air, and will reduce the temperature of the heap, so I'm planning to line mine with a one tonne builder's sand type bag (again, take the bottom out, but in fact I'll probably cut it into pieces and just attach to the inside of the walls)

"Must put it on the project list for next year"

I'd check you list for Santa Claus too Smiffy!