The GC PET RAINBOW GARDEN.....

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Marley Farley, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Jenny_Aster

Jenny_Aster Optimistic Gardener.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,035
    Whoops, now corrected, sorry :)

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,485
    No probs @Jenny_Aster - I just wondered why I had alerts for this thread and had a look!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Februarysgirl

Februarysgirl Gardener

Ratings:
      +262
      I mentioned my bonkers Jack Russell, Tucker, (1995-2010) in my previous post and it's been difficult to find a good photo of him. For most of that time I didn't have a camera and then when phone cameras became a thing, I didn't exactly have high end! This is by far, the best photo I have of him.

Tucker_cutie[1].JPG

He was a Christmas present and allegedly born on 06/10/1995. We arrived at the farm and he came bounding out and immediately started playing with my shoelaces. For reasons that baffle me, he was the last of his litter. I guess he was a little too rambunctious for some people's taste. His mum was a little grouchy but we were about to take her baby away so it was understandable. His dad was an amiable little chap and Tucker definitely took after him. He was sick once on the journey home but never whined and even the first night, there wasn't a peep out of him. It was as if he'd decided he was home. I remember the first time he barked, I thought it was the cutest thing ever. That didn't last long. He was one of those dogs where the slightest noise would set him off. He was always so affectionate, he loved to climb on you, put his paws around your neck and snuggle his head into you. He wasn't fond of men but loved women to the point where it was embarrassing how he'd fawn over them. I was never able to get him to walk to heel, no-one ever could. No matter where you were going, it was never fast enough. There were never really any signs that anything was wrong. He'd slowed down a bit but he was 14. He started to need help getting onto the bed, he'd snarl a little when you did but that was it. I assumed he had arthritis and booked a vet's appointment. The morning of the appointment he just collapsed and it turned out that he had a liver tumour that was haemorrhaging. He'd only had his annual poke and prod 6 months earlier and how a tumour could have been missed, I'll never understand. Losing him after 14 years, especially when for much of it, it'd been just the two of us, was devastating. Then of course, that little black and white kitten came over to me in the garden one April morning and made everything a little better.

I think what makes losing Chester feel harder is wondering whether things could have been different. The leukaemia was always going to get him but if we'd done things sooner, or made different decisions for him, could he have had longer? Could he have passed in his sleep in the shade of a shrub on a warm, sunny day instead of at the vets? With Tucker there was nothing obvious in the run up, he hadn't long had a check up and by the time it was discovered, it was already too late. There was nothing I could have done.

I'll bet it was an interesting encounter at the Rainbow Bridge. Tucker was high energy and bonkers and Chester was the most chilled cat ever and not really one for playing. I can just imagine the look of disapproval on his face.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Jenny_Aster

Jenny_Aster Optimistic Gardener.

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1,035
        You 'paint a lovely picture' @Februarysgirl, hopefully we'll get to know about encounters on Rainbow Bridge when the time is right. Tucker and Chester were a grand age when their time was up which is a credit to your care. It's a sad time, one I've had quite a few times, but we go out there and do it all again.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
          Ratings:
          +47,768
          @Februarysgirl so sorry to hear about Chester. You have all the happy memories with you forever.