The great GC weigh-in!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by UsedtobeDendy, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh Whiley don't give up on us all. I only started because LoL did, and I am glad I did too, because slowly but surely I had put on 2 stone in weight. I am not doing that well now, but at least I am not creeping ever upwards. Take heart!

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Good morning all. I cannot tell a lie and have to declare that I have gained one pound! [​IMG] This is NOT due to chocolate as I haven't eaten any but could have something to do with the pizza, tacos and roast duck!

But I'm still 10lbs less than when I started so I will make more effort this week in order to achieve my goal of one stone less. Ho hum!

3. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Lol i can beat a pounds gain!! After a harsh few weeks, i'm back on the game!

I'm done with the moping and post break up munching. I'm going to be feeding myself as healthily as i can and exercising too.

I'm back at 10st 2lbs and i want to drop to about 8st 7lbs, sounds a bit far fetched but i think it'll be my happy weight! So i need excercise tips. What have people found most effective?

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Swimming, Whiley! You might have my problem, that fat turns to muscle, so you don't weigh a lot less, but you get well toned, and that'll do me! :D

5. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Whiley, on the exercise front, about 30 years ago I cycled 20 mins. every morning and evening to work for 5 days a week, and within 3 months I had lost so much I had to start again with my clothes, and there was no more fat to come off. This is one exercise that would definitely work.

It took three quarters of an hour to start with, so gives you some idea of how much effort is required, but on the other hand you can eat as much as you like!

I wouldn't have the discipline to do it now, unfortunately! Good luck.

I am just getting started on some exercise but not too worried about my weight, no change so far.

6. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Seems everybody is doing well [​IMG]
    Mrs Pal and I are also on fitness trail as well as watching what we eat.
    We bought a X-Trainer a while back and every evening it's put through its paces. Mrs Pal does 20 minutes and I rack up 6/7 KM's in 30 minutes...including a most important warm up for the first KM taking 6min's.
    It is an excellent Cardio vascular workout as well as burning off nearly a stone each!!
    That and no fags for 6.5 months makes our country walks so much more enjoyable... at times we almost break out into a canter
    :D :D

7. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Skipping and bag work will burn fat etc very quickly.

When I used to go to the gym, I religiously did about 1/2 hour between bagwork and skipping, I gradually built up to 3 minute rounds, 3 minutes on the bag, 3 minutes skipping, 3 minutes bag, 3 minutes skipping and so on.

Do build up gradually though, start with 1 minute rounds. I once (when I started) dehydrated myself and became very dizzy and I was staggering everywhere, had to sit down for about 10 minutes and drink water to compose myself again.

8. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Tell me you mathemiticians - having got a pedometer to measure what I am walking. To measure the ground covered per stride, should it not be from toe of the leading foot to the heel of the the trailing foot. Every logical grey cell that I have says this is the ground covered, but I am open to correction.

9. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    I bought some scales the other day :eek:

1/2lb under 15 stone !!!!!!!

I am going to start doing something about it !

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    You bought the wrong scales, Nathan - take them back and get a better set!

Fran - that makes sense to me!

And Hi, DAG! Haven't seen you for ages!! You still busy with the house extension?

11. lynne

lynne Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    28lbs gone so far - Whale Watcher Day tomorrow - will be back to let you know how good/bad it is!

Keep on keeping on everyone [​IMG]

12. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Dendy, yes but it is the wrong type of exercise, I just get back ache! :D

So not expecting to report any changes just yet, but I am in no hurry, better slow and steady! [​IMG]

13. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    lynne - WOW 28lbs!!!!!!!!! fantastic!!!!!

I cycle to and from work - but as its only a 5 minute ride, I don't seem to burn off that many calories!!!! never mind.....

.... maybe I'll get into the swimming pool soon....

14. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Honey Bee try varying your route to work and increase your distance gradually,my route to work was 10miles direct but I used to go the "scenic route" many times I ended up touring the lanes and doing 30miles or so and I will guarantee you will burn calories even on a cold winters day I was glowing for hours after arriving for work still burning calories