The great GC weigh-in!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by UsedtobeDendy, Jan 6, 2007.

1. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    That's exactly why I got the crochet etc out, LoL!

It works! And I've found that a week or so of that, and the munchies have gone...... it took a bit of persevering, mind! :D

BTW, you could try crocheting doilies, table-cloths, etc - they don't take up too much space, and you can always give them to people for next year's Christmas presents! :rolleyes:

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Doilies? Doilies? How old do you think I am, Dendro ... and who do you know wants doilies ... thy goodself perhaps?

A tablecloth is very adventurous, I must admit but would cost a fortune to make. They sell them here hand-made far cheaper than I could do it. It's one of the "crafts" of the Algarve.

I don't "do" Christmas presents .. only for Sis. [​IMG]

[ 08. January 2007, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Lady of Leisure ]

3. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I started last week to loose a little but not much success yet only 2lb gone. I was 9st 10 and 5'4" which is reasonable but unfortunately my clothes didn't agree and were begining to refuse to fasten. Even the 2lb has helped and things feel more comforatble!I hope to get back to 9st, must cut out the cake but I'm not sure I could manage the chocolate, I usually give that up for Lent but eat Jelly Tots instead which are worse :D

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    OK just to give LOL a bit or support, I weighed in this morning at .........AAahhhhhhh did my scales scream or did they scream! 10st 11lb

my normal ave weight is between 8st 10lb and 9st 3lb so I am weigh over the top ;)

5. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Waco ... I knew you could do it and by me saying so your weight is not screaming at the forum till the next honest person comes along! :D :D :D

By the way, how tall / short are you?

6. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    not tellin! - well just yet anyway.

I have put on a lot of weight over Christmas so I expect the first few pounds to come off fairly easily, and I know you have been at it (ouu err) for longer than me and as I said I don't do competitions!

More over - I was of the age that never "kiss and tell for 30 years" oh how simple it is for the younger generation.

7. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Well - just got back from swimming club - the little 'un's - not me - and I was persuaded to take my foot off youngest's head- eventually..... I will get my revenge....... (probably when he brings his first Girlfriend home ....Mwaaaaahhh ha ha ha!!! (Evil laugh)) The car park was full and the gym bursting at the seams - will be interesting to see how many of them are still there in 6 weeks time!!!!

Going to go swimming tomorrow evening, so have got to dust down the cossie.....hopefully won't be too busy.... but once I emerge from the changing room, everyone will run screaming from the pool, so I should get a relatively quiet swim!!!! [​IMG]

Celia - 2lbs off per week is good - best way to get it off to stay off- nice and steady.

See you all tomorrow :cool:

8. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    HB, just keep the photos of him as a baby in the altogether on the rug - everyone has one of those, kept specially for embarrassment purposes! :D

Celia - are you joining in then? Doesn't matter if you've started already - why should it??

And Waco - glad you've decided to join us! No, it's not a competition - all the advice you get is that small amounts lost gradually over a longer period of time are much more likely to stay off, as it reflects a change in life-style to a healthier one....... You can tell I've read all the books..... :rolleyes: :D

As for anyone's weight screaming out - why should it really matter what they weigh? If you're a lot heavier than you want to be, all it means is that it will take some time to get to the weight you do want to be, and every few pounds gone will be noticeable! A friend of mine was pretty big - and by taking more exercise, eating sensibly, not snacking, and never missing meals, over a year, they've managed to lose more than 4 stone - incredible! But that just shows what determination and being sensible about both food and exercise can do. This person still has about a stone to go - and it's clear that's going to be managed!

9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    I know what you are saying, Dendro, but some people don't want people to know what they look like perhaps because they are uncomfortable with themselves.

I think this is good and so far we've had a good "show" of us willing to say what our downfall is.

I just think that's great ... you either love yourself or hate yourself ... and with encouragement wouldn't everyone rather love themselves and be happy albeit not comfortable than be miserable within?

We're here to support each other in whatever way we can and if one person can help one person, then the whole thing was worth while.

Well, I've had my say as usual. [​IMG]

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I agree with that, LoL. It also seems to me that everyone here who wants to lose weight is doing so for the right reasons - not because they want to look better, but to feel better. That's got to be good! :D

11. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for the support Honey B and Dendy. If it ever stops pouring down I would go for a walk. I can't take up swimming as I turn purple after 5 minutes in the water and it takes hours to warm back up, does shivering count as exercise? :D Can any one suggest a form of exercise that doen't cost anything and is dryish?

12. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi Celia..... there's always the dreaded "H" - Housework ..... nooooooooo!!!!!!

Apparantly a good brisk polish and vacuum burns up LOADS od calories.....

I know what you mean about cols swimming pools - I have on occasion has a sauna first to warm me up!!!! Otherwise, just go up and downs stairs for 15 mins....

.... as for the embarassing photos, I have just the one.... :D [​IMG]

13. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Bottom step of your staircase makes a good step up step down exercise. ;)

14. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Nice idea Bananaman but I live in a bungalow :D :D

15. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Celia - LOL! :D

I think I've mentioned before - dancing to cds while ironing...... - you can't get much cheaper than that! :D AND you can do it in a bungalow!

I'm sure shivering burns off a few calories...... as does trying to wriggle your way into a pair of jeans you've grown out of...... :rolleyes: (Unfortunately, rarely quite enough!)