The likes of B&Q verses builders merchants etc

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Pro Gard, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    JWK, Jewsons are legends even amongst trade for being expensive!!!

My local TP however is ok, I get around 25%- 40% trade discount depending on quantity purchased and the product.

2. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Wonderful boat shots, it's just wonderful how people can put together such complex wood structures with the most basic tools. Makesme think of the vikings who cut planks only with the adze, never a saw, splitting themratherthan cutting,actually. Preserved the strength and flexibility of the wood. Ohmy don't get me started on wood and boats, there will be no end to it.

I love going in the DIY stores, even more than most girls love to go shopping for shoes and handbags :D. I never ask for help, people do tend to be a bit useless, but then, I generally know what I want, and if not, I love to browse over the available stuff until I make my mind up.

No thinking about it, I remember picking my Xmas pressie two years ago, a lovely Bosh grinder, I had to ask for help in that occasion because the shelf was too bloody high. The guy was mystified that the thing was for my very own self. :D

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,234
    Yeah I've found that out the hard way, my local TP are good too I use them plus a local independant. TP also let me wander around the yard looking for stuff and do generally seem more helpful.

4. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    last time i used the local independant builders merchant they sent a 73 year old along delivering it an he wouldnt help me carry the fence pannels !

5. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    That sounds about right, The robert price branch in town is legendry, the miserable git in the yard could start an argument with an empty room and the rest are kids.

I always enjoy taking the pee out of them becuse they carent lift three sacks of cement together, the one guy tried doing two and dropped one!

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,234
    Pro you know that these modern bags of cement are only half the size of what they used to be, if you couldn't carry two of the old 1cwt bags in the old days you were a weed.

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,823
    Even with a discount I find TP more expensive than the other places around.

Nowadays I get them to help load the car up as the poor old bones and muscles are losing it :eek: :D.

I used to sling 1cwt sacks of spuds around (sorry, Spud :D) but now struggle with 25 kilo. :(

8. greengiant

greengiant Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    50kg bags of cement? Good Lord. I guess it is a similar story with the modern day concrete slabs; nowhere near the weight they used to be.

9. UJH

UJH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I wanted a new bulb for my oven and went to Focus but they didn't have one. So I decided to go to the hardware store round the corner, except it is closed Mondays and between 1 and 2 - I had to wait whilst he chatted to the customer in front of me - but as i knew full well they had my bulb:thumb:

10. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    theres a little hardwhere shop near here its unbeleveably overpriced though an i know hes makeing over 50% on most stuff :eek: an he dont even smile when he takes ur money lol :rolleyes:

11. plantlife

plantlife Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  12. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    In this village we have 'Cotswold Building Supplies', a small trader with an extensive variety of stock..everything from gravel, paint , bird seed and glass.:)
    All of the local builders shop there and even our large building company uses them practically daily for small deliveries and the lads popping in for the odd item.
    Their prices are no different from the large stores in town and they give a very good service.
    For bulk buys we tend to go for TP and when not working local...well they do seem to have a store on every business park in the country don't they:D
    The only thing I don't use either for is for my Putty...I have a secret mix and get it from a Glazier;)