1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The supermarket savings thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,899
    @alp Shame about the melon and cheese ... which I had for lunch yesterday. I will put a pic up of me just before it arrived. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • alp

alp Novice

Mum
      Ratings:
      +962
      We were supposed to have a pied del selno, £1.79 and a cantaloupe and an extra mature cheese for £2.. All gone to the sh*t deal .. ooops!

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        If you see a bargain seize it! If there's anybody else there it's nice to share, otherwise take all you need immediately before somebody else grabs the lot.

N.B. And if at Tesco check your Clubcard Account online (free instore wifi) for any new conditional spend vouchers as there's nothing worse than buying £120's worth of stuff reduced to £30, then getting home and finding some £6 off £30 vouchers have been delivered whilst you were out and feeling hard done by.

P.S. We got our reduced 4 pack Tesco Luxury bog rolls for 46p.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • alp

alp Novice

Mum
          Ratings:
          +962
          @Scrungee You must be an accountant .. Hehe!

Thank you for the pointer. Will ask son to check for £3 voucher off from £20. I reckon everything will be more expensive that week.

Also saw the raw king prawns reduced to £3 on Saturday, thinking of stocking up on Sunday.

Sunday, it went up to £3.50.. Far too expensive ..

• Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
          Ratings:
          +6,224
          Fantastic tip! Always forget to check in store and go home to vouchers on the door mat!

Not Yankee but still smells nice..deleted lines 25p each 50p for big candle

1500372881062942810412.jpg

50p each

20170718_111909.jpg

Willow trellis 1.50.. bought 4 charged for 1 :whistle:

20170718_111928.jpg

Selfie case for Samsung s6.. 50p. not for selfies but a good torch when heading to bed :) guessing it was reduced due to "iPhone model" and s8 coming out
          15003733643511085571221.jpg

• Like Like x 2
          • alp

alp Novice

Mum
            Ratings:
            +962
            @Linz Love your candles .. The big ones fetched £9 or £11 full price. I never looked at them as I couldn't afford them. But a member of staff told me that it was reduced to £6 REDUCED...

Very lucky of you and they look very nice. Make sure they are put in a safe place . whilst in use.. Love the green colour. If they go for 40p, I might have a go.. But the chance of that is nil in our little Tesco.

You had some bargains there perennials for 50p. I have had any plants from up the road for a long time.

• Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
            Ratings:
            +6,224
            The only things full price on that receipt are the woven bag, pot of olives (sundried tomatoes) spaghetti and plums! Everything else was on offer :) The perennials were nepeta walkers low and guara lindheimeri pink. There's some of the small yankee candles in Asda for 75p.. would never pay full price for one of the big ones just doesn't seem worth it!

• Like Like x 1
            • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
              Ratings:
              +6,224
              Asda have reduced various bits and bobs.. most notably netting 50p, hand forks/trowels 78p/1.38 depending on what type of handle.. (only 3 types of) Johnson's seeds (left) 50p each, some bbq stuff eg corn cob spikes and bamboo skewers, painted white make nice long plant labels, 50p a pack

Tesco been wiped out pretty much.. bought 2 forks 2.50 each :) bayer natural slug pellets 1.50 for 700g.. ooh and i snapped up an evergreen lawn seed/feed spreader reduced from 20 to 6.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • Scrungee

Ratings:
                +28,997
              • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +8,435
                I was so blinking irritated on Christmas Eve :gaah:, we had 16 coming for lunch Christmas Day, so I needed a big turkey :), I always buy my meat from Waitrose (I hope their welfare standards are better than the other supermarkets....pls don't tell me any horror stories) anyway I had ordered my turkey, pick up was between 11am & 1pm, I take the turkey to the check out it cost £86.00 :phew:, the girl on the till says 'you should come back for the bargains at 2, that's when we are going to start our reductions' I pop into town & pop back into Waitrose....only to find almost the same size turkey in the same package for £13.50 :wallbanging::gaah:I pick it up, speak to a staff member & tell her how disgusted I'am only to be told 'it's the luck of the draw, if we don't sell the turkeys we have to reduce them to get rid of them, she said I couldn't get a refund/price reduction on the other turkey, I was irritated to say the least! But what could I do??
                I bought the cheaper turkey to put in the freezer, I shall use that for Easter....I think it will be ok!
                The left over turkey has been made into stock for soups & the small amount of turkey meat which is leftover will be turned into turkey,ham & leek pies today! I will get my monies worth out of that turkey! :blue thumb:.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                  Ratings:
                  +31,940
                  Ok, i won't
                  But there is many people out there which are cutting corners and breaking rules

The welfare standards are only as good, if it's policed and the trust is there through out the supply chain, must is done on trust that things are being done as it's should be (not breaking rules)

• Useful Useful x 1
                    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
                  • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    '
                    Well, I don't think the "Tesco Rancid" problem arose from any welfare of the Turkey as that ceases to be relevant when the Turkey is killed for eating.:dunno: The problem would arise from the storage of the Turkey carcass and whether or not it was frozen quickly enough and kept frozen up to the point of sale. For such a large number of Turkeys to be claimed as unfit for consumption means that there was a major, and prolonged, breakdown in the freezing and storage process.:wallbanging::dunno::snorky:

• Agree Agree x 3
                    • Jiffy

Pyro
                      Ratings:
                      +31,940
                      Yes, and they shouldn't have even got any where near the shop, let alone for shoppers to buy :thud: checking and monitoring all the way though the supply chain is a must

• Agree Agree x 3
                      • Scrungee

Ratings:
                        +28,997
                        From checking their website, it now appears as if Tesco may have withdrawn all turkeys from sale, so no cheap reduced turkeys for New Year.

But there was a problem with their chickens only a short while ago, before their turkeys started to appear instore. Tesco chief must explain silence over second 2 Sisters factory, says MP

Their problems don't stop there, we bought some Tesco vegetarian gravy granules for gravy on my Xmas Quorn sausage toad in the hole, and it's a good job I made/checked it myself (only one who eats it) because it turned into a watery, thin liquid over a lumpy sludge that would have ruined my Xmas lunch. Luckily I had just enough of the old Morrisons stuff left to make just enough gravy for my lunch.

Tesco really seem to be losing the plot on acceptable quality, posts on their facebook page make dire reading.

So this is going back to Tesco [1]

WARNING: this picture shows raw vegetarian gravy!

gravy.jpg

[1] I hope this product wont be simply consigned to the reduction area, like another product was that we returned complaining it "tasted like cardboard". The customer services assistant dealing with our complaint obviously didn't believe us and tasted them, then pronounced them "disgusting" and issued a refund.

• Informative Informative x 1
                          Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
                        • Jiffy

Pyro
                          Ratings:
                          +31,940
                        Thread Status:
                        Not open for further replies.