1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The Wheelchair Garden

Discussion in 'Gardening For People With Disabilities' started by IanArmour, Oct 3, 2011.

1. IanArmour

IanArmour Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I posted a pic so you can see the actual size of it... Im 6foot4

2. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    Now that photo puts a lot of things into perspective. I'll revise my price point to say... approx £450 per unit :yess:

What discount if any will you offer for bulk purchases?

3. IanArmour

Ratings:
    +12
    It depends on the production quantities, Im sure an agreement can be made

4. IanArmour

Ratings:
    +12
    I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the positive comments on this forum and if you feel inclined to leave a comment on my website, feel free :love30: (3 comments look strange lol)

5. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,281
    I am sorry but I just can not see the point
    Offering a 6'x3'x1'deep plot of soil that is self irrigating for £450
    To someone who can not even afford to heat their home is economic sense

The take up of course will be tremendous by Councils spending tax payers money to show they follow the DDA

Disabled person wants to garden err do I spend £10 on dustbin full of compost or £450 on a dustbin a third as deep that self waters, all I do is in March stick some bedding plants in, and watch, then pop down in September and take them out, As theraputic as watching paint dry
    Apart from the social worker who gets paid £70 a day to take Tom to his garden that day and Tom being happy

I just do not get it, they could get an 8'x6' green house with self irrigation for that money, produce usefull produce to eat and sell

I just do not know where you are coming from

You can look in any new town and see GRP boxes of spendid flowers all over the town, even saddle tanks on railings (which cost £48, 3'x2'x1'deep) just stick two of those on your wall,
    Watering well you belittle wheel chair users if you think they are NOT resourseful enough to lift water, they have ALL day, They can water 1 LTR at a time if needs be but that is a lot of water for a 6x3x1 garden in the open

I am aware I am stating what you do not want to hear, but it has to be said IMHO the truth
    Who is your target market, the disabled or the "we" have to take it as it is available under the DDA Councils ?

In all honesty, I can buy a galvanised dustbin and bang some holes in it, cover it in pretty Fablon, fill it with good compost, then let my neighbour plant it up for less than fourty quid
    If needs be I can fit an outside tap with a hosepipe led to said bin, with a trigger Gun handle and they can even water it, when they want

Jack McHammocklashing

6. IanArmour

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Jack,

No problem with your remarks. I agree that the price maybe high to suit the general public at the moment, however I have to say you are the first who has not seen the point. As you said I will be approaching local authorities to introduce these units in childrens schools and adult centres. Im in touch with west sussex county council to introduce a few late february.

Once the production quantities are right a second version at a "competitive" price maybe made available for example at your local nursey. Its a new product and manufacturing costs are initially high, I hope you understand this.

There are alternative methods of sale for example renting it out to carehomes making it a more attractive deal. I suppose that this garden would be a good amenity to carehomes with few activities and may increase their standard of living and reputation .

• Like Like x 1
    • IanArmour

Ratings:
      +12
      Please have a look at my updated pics (album) taken last week. I have taken them with my neighbours pottering around in it so the actual size of the GC Planter can be seen. Hope you like it!!

• miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      wheelchair users generally have problems accessing/wheeling around the garden safely and unaided, rather then lacking space or ideas on where to plant things.
      Any wooden bench/table, shelf etc will fit the purpose as long as you can get to it (under or close enough), work on the plants within a reasonable degree of comfort, and back indoors.

The depth of soil provided in your project is very limited. I am not impressed by it more than yet another betterware catalogue product.:th scifD36: