THE YARD..... The GC Grumble Societies thread.... ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK...!!!

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Alice, Aug 23, 2010.

1. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Hi Doghouse

We had 'gotten' too, once. But we have gotten over it :lollol:. It still remains in the language in phrases such as 'ill-gotten gains'.

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thank you everybody for your replies. And Ta Claraalou. I'm always interested in the origin of words and that might explain Americans calling their garden their yard. Lots of germanic people about.
    Have a look at Ta.(Clue -Gaelic - my first language)
    Not too many words have come from Gaelic straight into English but ta is one of them.

3. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Thanks for that, Alice. I think the Celtic languages are fascinating. I think I have enough on my plate at the moment just trying to master a few words of Welsh, however.:scratch:

Doghouse, as far as the ise/ize argument goes, I'm afraid 'ize' isn't some new-fangled affectation from across the pond. It's been used here since the sixteenth century. I once worked for a chap who was inordinately proud of being an Oxford man and insisted on the use of the 'z' spelling throughout his department. He would fly into extraordinary rages if the more downmarket (or less pompous, depending on your point of view) 's' found its way onto the page. See Wiki on 'Oxford Spelling':-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_spelling

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,488
    Having been practising to be a grumpy old man for many years (some people say I graduated a long time ago) I find this a difficult subject.

I, too, decry some of the Americanisations (note the 's' :hehe:) within our language but accept that languages evolve - but I don't have to evolve at the same time. Having said that, I'm not too sure about the efficacy of Wikipedia. It is not an authenticated encyclopedia but a collection of information from a number of sources including such as myself (the hoi polloi :rotfl:).

I am no authority on the use of 'ize' or 'ise' but generally prefer to use 'ise'. Classically, in most instances, the use of either can be correct (some words definitely have to have 'ize' and some have to have 'ise') and depend a lot of the time on their root origin - e.g. Latin, Greek, French etc. How's that for sitting on the fence? :lollol:

My origins are based in Bow in the East End of London and 'ackney in North London. In Bow our garden was our back yard and in 'ackney our garden was our garden. The one in Bow was much smaller and I think that was probably the reason for the differentiation. In Bow, if you called it your back garden you were 'posh' or 'snooty'.

Also relating to back yards, how many of you called the sunken space between the front of the house and the pavement, the 'area'? This was the small area where you would go down a flight of stairs to the door in the basement.

We have a lot of American friends some of whom use the word 'yard' and others use 'garden' but most of them call the soil or earth 'mud' :scratch:. I would only tend to use that when it was horribly wet and sticky.

5. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Hi Shiney

Yes, Wiki is just for fun. I think most people realise it should be used with a certain amount of care. However, when it uses this particular piece of learned blather, it is quoting directly from the Oxford Dictionary:-

I]n mod.F. the suffix has become -iser, alike in words from Greek, as baptiser, évangéliser, organiser, and those formed after them from L., as civiliser, cicatriser, humaniser. Hence, some have used the spelling -ise in Eng., as in French, for all these words, and some prefer -ise in words formed in French or Eng. from L. elements, retaining -ize for those of Gr. composition. But the suffix itself, whatever the element to which it is added, is in its origin the Gr. -ιζειν, L. -izāre; and, as the pronunciation is also with z, there is no reason why in English the special French spelling should be followed, in opposition to that which is at once etymological and phonetic. In this Dictionary the termination is uniformly written -ize. (In the Gr. -ιζ-, the i was short, so originally in L., but the double consonant z (= dz, ts) made the syllable long; when the z became a simple consonant, (-idz) became īz, whence Eng. (-aɪz).)

So there you are. As far as the OED is concerned, the z has largely won. :hehe:

I can assure you, having been on the receiving end of a lot of stick about my use of the humble 's', that the s/z argument is no laughing matter to a certain sort of Oxford graduate. The snooty Times Literary still uses the z. :snz:

6. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,488
    Hi Clare,

I suppose this argument could be claimed to be racist :). If you are of Norman origin (I'm most definitely not) you would be more likely to want to retain the 's'. Also, it depends on which dictionary or authority you use.

I just tend to prize using 'ise' - but I love to be awkward. :hehe: :rotfl:

I seem to remember that 'ise' came into vogue (another french word) in the 1950's. My 1956 edition of Chambers comprises mainly of 'ise'. Whereas my Websters has 'ize' as I think Webster standardized :hehe: nearly 200 years ago.

7. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    :hehe: This is turning into a proper kvetch. (You call tell I don't have much Norman blood either.)

8. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,488
    I'm not kvetching, I'm just a bit meshuggah (not the band) :rotfl:

9. MartinHp71

MartinHp71 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  10. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I always thought that 3 feet make a yard:D{as in 3x12 or 36 inches}

Can someone also explain this one{going slightly off topic}Mr Kandy works with a group of people who are from Scottish parents{living in England when they had their children},but the children even though born and brought up in England maintain they are Scottish and hate the English with a passion:scratch::cnfs:

Mr Kandy and others in his office keep trying to explain to them that they are English,but they won't have it and still say that they are Scottish and will only support Scotland,in the World Cup etc.

If I decided to up sticks and move to Scotland,then I would consider myself an English person living in Scotland,and would never dream of calling myself Scottish because I know I am not{Scottish}:help:

I blame it all on the Normans and that William the Conquerer bloke:yez:

11. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,488
    Don't forget the pesky Celts, Romans, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Picts, Vikings, Danes, and, worst of all, the EU.

12. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    In answer to your question Kandy, I don't understand it either. I think we are just all people !

13. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,488

But Some are more people than others :hehe: (with apologies to George Orwell).

14. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    You get the same thing with people born here to Irish parents. 'Plastic Paddies' I believe they're called - not sure if there is a similar term for Scots!

I can only surmise it's down to a (misguided?) desire to be different or maintain some sort of Scottish-ness? But the Celtic races have a stronger identity than the English, so that might also have a contributory factor. Ironically, a lot of this 'identity' has been manufactured for tourist purposes!

15. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thank you for your replies everybody. Very interesting.
    Daisees, your lovely conservatory is certainly not a lean to.
    Another observation, so many people now don't seem to know the difference between the floor and the ground and use the words as if they were interchangeable - or am I the only person who has noticed that ?