THE YARD..... The GC Grumble Societies thread.... ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK...!!!

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Alice, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I would say a floor is something that is man made, something laid as opposed to just being there, like the ground!

2. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    I think we have the makings of a whole new thread here, Alice. We'll have to think of a suitably curmudgeonly name for it. :) I haven't noticed the floor/ground problem, but I have noticed that people tend to fall pregnant rather than become pregnant these days. This is just sheer carelessness. You can fall over, you can fall ill and you can fall foul of the law - but you should never fall pregnant. I'm bored with hearing the expression. (Notice: bored with, not bored of.)

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,484
      Clare,
      I have quite a vivid imagination and can think of certain athletic ways that one could fall pregnant. :rotfl:

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,730
      :rotfl: Maybe that's it then - a case of whoops! I've fallen for it. Although I tend to feel it's more about personal responsibility. If you become pregnant, you admit that you may just have had some small role in the matter. If you fall pregnant (ie fall victim to pregnancy), you can be walking to bus stop and pow!- it just happens. Pure bad luck, like catching avian flu or suffering from hay fever.

• MartinHp71

MartinHp71 Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      I am British and proud to be so called. That means I call upon the wonderful traits of the English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh. Means we also have the best Country in the world !!

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,484
      Clare, I agree :thumb:. Personal responsibility seems to have 'fallen' by the wayside.

If I became pregnant it would be a miracle. :hehe:

• Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Aaron...we used to refer to them as silicon Scots :hehe:

• daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      When I was a boy, we had a backyard and a garden. The yard was a concrete area immediately outside the house, the other side of which was the garden, the cultivated area.:gnthb:

• daitheplant

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881

I think the most famous example of this is Rod Stewart, who, I believe, was born in London of a Scottish father.:gnthb:

• Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
      +41
      Love it!:hehe:

• Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +81
      Jings, this has opened a can of worm, I and I only wanted to know about The Yard !

Axie - Ali, I've never heard the term Silicone Scots, but it sounds pejorative. Have I missed something?

ClaraLou, now that I've mentioned floor / ground I'm sure you'll see it everywhere. Life's like that. Also look out for Affect / Effect. They don't seem to have any idea what the words mean - and I'm talking about the "quality" press. We just call them all comics. Well, language does move on.

Shiney, it is very obvious that in the eyes of the world some people are more people than others. Some of what I have read in response to the floods in Pakistan ( not on this forum or I wouldn't be here) has horrified me, people saying they are just muslims and why should we care . They are all just people. Those women and children are nothing but people like you and me. I'm sure you weren't saying anything different Shiney.

ClaraLou - fall pregnant - I think that originates from Victorian times. Girls fell from grace - pregnant !
      Shiney, no men can't "fall" pregnant. They just put on a clean shirt and walk away.

Jings, maybe we do need a new thread, and all I wanted to know about was "the yard".

• music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
      Ratings:
      +2,785
      One of the things we see now,originated from American T/V Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus is the using of fingers in the air when speaking, as Punctuation Marks :( it gets on my wick :( music:cool:.

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,730
      Hi Alice

Yes, I'm afraid this thread has meandered rather a lot. :) When I was writing letters to the MoJ (you'll remember my hostel woes from another thread) I discovered that the then Minister of State for Justice, David Hanson, didn't know the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'. I was positively apoplexic. If someone is going to patronise me, lie to me and generally trample all over my life I do at least expect them to get the spelling right. :)

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,730
      Music, I seem to remember that Billy Connolly did a very funny piece on the wavy-fingers-in-the-air punctuation marks. Unfortunately I can't remember the details. :o I think it had to do with giant mimed questions marks etc.

• daitheplant

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      Billy Connolly and very funny. Now THERE`S a contradiction in terms.:gnthb::gnthb::rotfl::rotfl: