THE YARD..... The GC Grumble Societies thread.... ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK...!!!

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Alice, Aug 23, 2010.

1. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    So, there lies the remains of New Labour.:gnthb::old:

2. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +705
    Litter!!
    OH went for his walk this morning and there were two lads ahead of him and one just threw his empty crisp bag on the road. Is there any point in saying anything? I am sure you would just get a lot of verbals. :(

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,480
    They were very careful to word their policy on pension contributions. They only said that you would now need just 30 years' contributions, instead of 44, to qualify for a full state pension. They didn't say anything about you being able to stop paying them after the 30 years. :scratch:

It helped reduce the official figures for unemployed. Once you had qualified for your 30 years you could stop work and know you would get a full pension. Then, instead of signing on, you could work in the black economy and not pay tax etc whilst still in the knowledge that you would get your pension. A clever massaging of the figures. :mad:

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,099
    Hey Shiney are you saying I can pack up work, get a job that the government know nothing about and it would be OK not to pay tax?:wink:

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    You'd be surprised Jasmine, they might just be shocked into picking it up. But I fear you might be right.

It winds me up too, even more those people who seem to think it's ok to open their car window and throw their rubbish out as the drive along:mad:

6. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,480
    Some people might say that but I wouldn't dream of saying it :wink: :hehe:. Of course, they may ask you what you are doing instead of working but i'm sure that gardeners are quite creative in their thinking.

I paid tax all my working life and had to put in my 44 years of tax credits to warrant the measly pension they give me - but it's better than nothing.

7. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    We went through McDonalds Drive through yesterday. we purchased some food and drinks and parked in the car park to have our food. there was a car parked across from us ,they opened their doors and dumped all the left overs and packaging in the forecourt, and there was a large green bin where their car was parked:mad:. now that was 2 adults with 2 children,is it any wonder a lot of the kids throw chocolate
    papers/crisp packets etc on the roads and pavements ,they see their parents doing it :mad:.
    music :cool:.

8. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I may have my 30 years in but I still have to work `til 70 to get any real money out.lol

9. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,480
    The government are most gracious :skp: to give me the grand sum of £550 per month for my 44 years of contributions and that includes my graduated contributions. That's £12.50 per month for each year :mad:.

10. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,480
    I had a go at Revenue and Customs yesterday :hehe:. I received a form from them to fill in. It wanted the usual load of info about what 'I expected' to receive during the coming year - pension, earnings, interest etc.

I telephoned them, the call doesn't cost me anything, and said that I want to discuss the form and why they had sent it to me. They were very polite and asked for some security details before they would discuss things. I must emphasise that throughout the conversation I maintained a pleasant tone of voice.

After that I told them that I had received a P161 but was not able to fill it in as I don't fit their parameters mentioned on the front page - and added that they already probably have on record that I am pedantic about official forms. They didn't deny it :lollol:.

I said that the form explained that I had been sent it for one of three possible reasons.
    1. I have now started receiving a private pension.
    2. I am approaching pension age and shall soon receive my pension.
    3. I have reached 65 and have just started receiving my pension.

He said 'That was correct so what is the problem?' I replied that none of those points refer to me as I have been receiving a pension for some time - which they would have been able to see from my tax return. I then pointed out that I know that they have already seen my tax return because they sent me a rebate last month.

I then asked if there was a problem with their information about my pension.
    He said 'Yes, we need to have the full amount you expect to receive in your pension this year so that we can get your code number correct'.
    To which I responded 'That's interesting as I received a new code number in the same post as the P161'.
    He then said 'Yes, but we think it is wrong!'
    Me, 'So why did you send it?'
    He, 'Because we have to send them out.' :scratch:
    Me, 'I still can't fill in the P161 as it doesn't refer to me, and even if it did I can't fill in the other three pages because I don't know if I will get any interest on my savings as the goverment has dropped the bank rate :mad:'.
    He, 'We really do need to know what state pension you are receiving.'
    Me, 'Then ask the Department of Works and Pensions, as the government say that the two of you must liaise more. Otherwise, wait until I fill in next year's tax return.' :old:'
    He, 'We need the information from you.'
    Me, No you don't. Not unless you can send me an official form, asking for it, that refers to my situation. It is not my job to do your work for you until tax return time - which is always in arrears.'
    He, 'O.K. We'll find another way of getting the information.'
    Me, 'Don't send the boys round! :lollol: Goodbye.' I then hung up.

• Like Like x 1
    • MartinHp71

MartinHp71 Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      :thumb:Wish there was more like you around Shiney .. :thumb:

• Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +4,413
      The revenue don't trust me, as I get a bit of interest on investments, they send me three self-assessment tax forms every year.

• Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
      Ratings:
      +705
      Asda shopping..
      Children racing around nearly crashing into me- no sign of parents, Christmas stuff EVERYWHERE and it's only November and why do people behind you in the queue at the checkout get SO close they knock you with the trolley or their bags or even worse themselves. :(

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,730
      A little kid ran straight into my trolley in Sainsburys earlier. 'Oh my God ! Are you all right, darling?' said Mama to her (unhurt) offspring. 'Never mind all that,' I wanted to say, 'she damn nearly squished my grapes and they were the last good bunch'.

The people over the road have fairy lights all over the place already. Off to buy Easter eggs before they sell out.

• Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
      +41
      The weather forecasters keep promising it will get colder and sunnier. It doesn't, it just gets colder and wetter. I have been soaked everyday this week getting to work or getting home on the motorbike. And my so called waterproof jacket, isn't. Waterproof. So I took it back and got an upgrade - lined with Goretex :) Actually, the last bit should be in the 'happy thread' as my wonderful partner bought it for me :)