Theft of plants!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by messypup, May 6, 2008.

1. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ive got a friend that is also an allotment holder not to far from mine
    she had four apple tree's that she planted and three of them whent walkies . on a short walk around her allotment , we found a plott that had three newly put in apple tree's .
    yer may be he puchased them but they did look sim to those that my friend had in her plot
    we didnt have any prof
    my friend now has had to go out and get new tree's but this time they are marked. and if they go missing and we find then. i will do some dammage to the thiffings gits plot.
    im realy a nice guy but if i get upset i get realy upset :cool:

2. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    There are some really hard faced people about!! Great idea to mark them though.:thumb: Ive lived in my area for nearly 20 years now,and when I first moved round here, you would'nt dare put a banging basket out, coz for certain it would'nt be there by the end of the week.:mad: Fortunately things have improved greatly and it dos'nt happen any more. Some people have garden ornaments in their front gardens that stay put these days, and most gardens are well looked after.:D

3. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    We had a warning in our local paper to be aware of the garden thieves.
    Plants ,hanging baskets ,ornaments and even garden furniture are going missing.
    Thats apart from lawn mowers and other tools.
    We live in a 'good' area.
    So people are probably not so security conscious and leave things unlocked, back gates sheds etc.
    The people round here bother to take care of their gardens.

I even think twice about putting anything any good in the front garden any more and the back gate is always locked.

One family off the really posh estate up the road had a 6 foot marble figure stolen.
    Someone else had their electric gates stolen.:eek:
    It's really bad.

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Although our area or at least our little cul-de-sac is one of the best in the village we do the same Lyn and always think twice where we are putting things we have been lucky so far as all we have had 'taken' was a drop bar for the drive gates but we never like to put temptation in people's way if we can help it.

We would have liked to put our wall mounted garden hose near the outside tap but because you can see that area from the drive we decided that around the back would be the best place for it as it's one of those that lifts off its brackets and would have been so easy to whip if someone so wish.

Detering the thieves is one of the reasons we intend to keep our front garden looking nice but so boringly normal that way (finger's cross) only our neighbours will know what we have in our back garden! Hel.xxx.

5. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    Yes same here.
    We are not over looked at the back and cannot see in from the front.
    Our front garden is now mostly drive with 2 small areas for planting one rockery and one flat.
    I just tend to keep it tidy.
    Most of the plants in there are old and would be difficult to take out.
    It's the new plants that seem to be going.
    My husband just told me he went to a house with his work last wek and they had had a tree taken out of their front garden.
    Only been in a week.
    It wasn't small tree either .
    They must of had a lorry.

6. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Another thing that makes me sad. Why do people do it?

A 'new' person moved in the street a while back & immediately did the front garden (hers & most are open plan). Lots of plants in new borders, solar lights, small tree everything! The only trouble we have had here that i know about was not long ago when some 'people' decided to break the aerials off the cars. During this 'her' garden didn't get touched. I'm not for a moment saying it was her or hers, but i think how come they didn't even pick up the solar lights that are right there on the street?? Me thinks i will not make an enemy of her! Only joking, not about the facts.

What a shame that you can't put out what you want, after all you're not doing it to disfigure the area, upset anyone, or anything horrible. Even if you don't care about your garden I'm sure you wouldn't feel the need to disfigure anyone elses. And...the people that stole the trees & planted them obviously wanted them so it wasn't vandalism in the mindless sense. Why didn't they ask, you might have given them a cutting, grafting or whatever it is (i'm new at this, can you tell?:).

Hope there's no more & the 'little blighters' that do it stop. Let's hope Karma is true.

cheers

7. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sa wot ya saying
    moss side has improved , now that is one scarry place.
    but i had to go through moss side to see wot it was all about . in my renault training days i stayed at the picadilly hotel and as i used to do ice skating . i had to pass the moss side estate to get to the rink. apparently back in the days even pizza moped drivers would not carry any money and the police would not even enter the estate. me being a london geazzer, I IS STREET WISE INNIT bo safe, 6f3 and ize gonna hit hard :p
    actualyy im just a soffty thats works hard and looks after wot i have. but if you touch a my stuff im gonna tocha you :thumb:

8. midnightrose

midnightrose Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow there are planning it all out in advance!

9. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    What makes you think I live in Mossside master.:confused:

10. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    obviously you dont live in mosside . you still have a computor ;)

11. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Now, now boys play nice and remember even in the most unsavory places there are some really nice people who take pride in theirselves as well as their properties just a pity that others think there is nothing wrong with taking things that don't belong to them!Hel.xxx.

12. Dover Dave

Dover Dave Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A good friend of mine once caught two 16year old urchins destroying his alotment and killed many of his chickens! He gave them what for and ended up having a two year suspended sentence. What can we do when the law is against us?

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I know what you mean Dave sadly you can't even give them a clip around the ear anymore something that use to put the fear of god into us back in my day, but saying that 'we' never use to carry guns and knifes around with us which appears to be something of the 'in thing' to do these days all pretty sad when you come to think about it the little b*ggers need more than a clip round the ear to keep them in line bring back Borstals that's what I say...... bang the swines up and see if they like that gravy!Hel.xxx.

14. midnightrose

midnightrose Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What is the world coming to?