Think this rose disn't like the move!

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Apple Blossom, May 27, 2015.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,650
    Good morning @Lorea my friend which Rose is it, yes I personally disagree but this is only my own personal opinnion,this is likely to produce many conflicting theories... In my experience, burying the bud union shortens the life of the budded plant in my year round growing season. increasing the risk of Rose dieback it reduces the number of new basals each year, causing the plant to more rapidly become geriatric and go into old age decline. Keeping the union above the mulch and soil levels and exposing it to the light encourages the plant to renew itself, keeping it more juvenile longer, hence more productive.

As for digging it up and replanting as a generalisation most Rose experts would say not at this time of the year,wait until it is in its dormant state,I would like to see a photo of your Rose until I can answer your question,as you know I have moved roses in July because I think rules are meant to guide you,not bind you;) enjoy your day my friend:smile:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Lorea

Lorea Wine drinker

English teacher
      Ratings:
      +1,363
      Thanks for that quick reply Woo! :dbgrtmb:
      The rose in question was a bare root from Lidl, so it just said, 'climbing rose'. :rolleyespink:I've bought loads of plants from Lidl before and they've always done really well in the garden, so I thought I'd try it. I'll see if I can take a photo this weekend.
      I have another climbing rose which I bought bare root from a nursery about 5 years ago - the flowers, which look like Blue Moon and have very little perfume, were supposed to be 'deep red and highly scented' :scratch:.Again I don't remember the name as that was when I used to throw boxes and labels away (:thud: lesson learnt there). I remember I did plant that one at soil level and it's a good performer flowering right through from spring to autumn.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +91,650
        Good morning @Lorea No worries my friend you are most welcome, my apologies for not answering your question about Rose suckers,I got carried away ,Suckers are not a problem as soon as you see one just gently pull it off Not cut it off as it will regrow,as far as I am concerned the planting of the graft Union under the soil creates far more problems for the Rose to deal with,increasingly, roses are being grow by other methods - which do away with the rootstock - and also the suckers!;)

• Informative Informative x 2
        • Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,028
          Morning @wiseowl brrrr weathers not good this morning :sad: I've moved my rose to a different position for the time being, removed the leaves as suggested and spent heads and placed on house bricks...air all around and well watered... Do I need to take any more leaves off? ... image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
          • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +91,650
            Good morning @Apple Blossom my friend lovely job,it still looks a bit leggy where it hasn't been pruned and seems to be growing to one side,Apple Blossom I would leave until October/November when it is in its dormant state and then hard prune it and then we can get it to grow more central then,but please keep an eye on it and let us know if you are not happy with the Rose:smile:

• Informative Informative x 1
            • Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,028
              Thank you @wiseowl, I will follow your instructions, yes it has gone very leggy :sad: possibly due to where it was being kept!! Maybe! It is such a beautiful coloured rose I will give it tender gardeners love for recovery :imphrt:

All my plans for today are heavily rained off :sad: just finished all the greenhouse jobs :spinning: I planned, so think today I'll do a painting! And hope the weather improves later :SUNsmile: it's a washout at the mo:huh:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Lorea

Lorea Wine drinker

English teacher
                Ratings:
                +1,363
                [​IMG]
                Here's the rose in question Woo. It seems to have suddenly sprouted new growth!

By the way, any ideas as to what's chewed the first flower on this bush rose? It happened last year too.

[​IMG]

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                Ratings:
                +91,650
                Good morning @Lorea your rose must have heard my prayer ;)my initial answer would be Thrips,leave it with me my friend:smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1