Thrown out again

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Apr 13, 2011.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,429
  2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: Well so far nothing has come to light at this end Armandii & Ziggy, but Nathan is away at present, but will look when he gets back.. :scratch: I have not seen or heard of the blank page before either Pete, but rest assured we will keep looking.. It is strange it is not happening across the board to all members so a bug seems less likely, that is the thing..

I use Firefox for all my web browsing & forums & it will remember all your settings for you Armandii... Why not, when you have logged in today & told it to remember you.. Book mark the page with you logged in.. So you do not log out at the end of your session, stay logged in....!!!!
    It might cure it or help anyway.. Allot of members stay logged in all the time & just come & go that way... Try it for now..

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Grew up with them :dbgrtmb: It was the only thing I could find, apart from Ted Heaths common market policy, that was madder than Spike Milligan :D:love30:

4. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    There is obviously a lot of MAD people, on this Forum, but I knew that anyway:heehee::yahoo::D

Thanks for the advice, Marley. I'll try not logging out and see what happens. I don't want to use Firefox unless I have to as Chrome, in my experience, is really good. I ran compatibility tests on Gardeners Corner with all my programs and there were no flag ups, and like I said since it has happened to Ziggy as well, a man of fine reading tastes but questionable sanity:loll::happydance:, then I don't think the problem is on my side of the fence. I know, Marley, that this is not going to be easy to track down and identity especially if it disappears of into the blue for a while.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I hear you that Ziggy has the problem too. But that's just two people out of probably hundreds using that "breed" of browser, and in a forum people tend to speak up when they have a problem. Particularly if they have the problem and have seen this thread :)

Unless its a lot more than 2 people with the problem, its much more likely to be your end than GC's end, but it may well be some setting on your account in GC, or in the way that your Account Settings were migrated from the old Forum software.

I doubt very much that any diagnostic software you have will tell you anything useful to help you solve this problem. The fact that they are silent on the matter is no indication that the problem is not your end. However, until we know what the problem is then its a moot debate I'm afraid.

Try the same "breed" of browser on a different computer, with your account, and see what happens. If you can easily provoke the failure, repeatably, that will make it easier to conduct a test on another machine - as it should fail in the same way.

I would also suggest going through your User Control Panel Options with a fine tooth-comb. Perhaps register as another user and compare the settings you are given "out of the box" for that new user with the ones set up for your own account. That would also give you a chance to see if the same thing happens with the "test account" on your normal machine. If the Test Account does NOT get logged out then its almost certainly something in your User Control Panel Settings.

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :WINK1: As I said this has worked for some in the past who experienced problems like you.. We can find no reason why it is happening to just you two...

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,429
    Nothing that will help you :( but I never bother to log out. The only time I get logged out is when I do a complete clean of my cookies including the ones I have told it not to clean normally.

8. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Thanks Kristen.:thumbsup: I only tried the compatibility programming as another way of "knocking on the door" of the problem just to see if anything was flagged up but didn't take the result as being all that credible:dunno:.
    You're correct, of course, that it only appears to have happened to Ziggy and myself, and that other people would have posted complaints if it had been otherwise. Due to my lack of expertise and knowledge in this area I was grasping at straws. :help:
    And again, you're correct that the whole thing is a moot debate until we identify the problem.
    For the moment I'll let things be and take Marley's good advice and not log out to see if that will help.
    It's just not nice, when writing a lengthy post, to be wondering if you're going to lose the whole piece.
    Thanks again for your expertise and advise.:thumbsup:

9. xoot

xoot Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I run a few forums. I suggest logging out, clearing your cache, cookies and temporary internet files then logging back in again and check the box to keep logged in.
    Make sure in your browser settings that you don't have it set to delete cookies on exit.

If you've not checked the remember me box, then you'll be subject to the set timeout - normally a session is 20mins but the forum may have it set to a custom time eg 10mins.

If you take a long time to type a reply, do it in notepad or some other editor then copy and paste to the forum. Then, if it goes derriere over mammary, you'll still have your message and won't have to retype it.

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,838
      Thanks for the good advice, Xoot:thumbsup:
      One of the obvious problems is me, my inexperience and lack of knowledge in this field is definitely not helping and as always the road to competency and experience is a painful one:gaagh: I'm trying to rectify that by taking courses and also getting a tutor to get me above the level of a 5 year old [which is a bit difficult as I've got the mental ability of a 4 year old].:phew::heehee: I have come to the realisation though that, as Kristen has said, the debate is a moot one until the problem is identified, and that any remedial action without knowing what the problem actually is would be urinating into the wind:D

• Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
      +2,955
      Hi people,

Having read through the thread, I agree with most that have suggested, tyoing out a lengthy post in an external program (notepad/word etc), I use other forums as well, and if I am writing a lengthy post, I will write it all, including image urls included, so it is a simple copy/paste operation and then I preview the post on whichever forum it is.

I agree with Kristen, as we need to know what settings etc could be causing the issue, and as has been said, the more people affected = the easier to put right, so please make a log of issues within this thread.

With regards to the blank pages, I have never encountered them on here, I have done on other forums, but I can probably count on one hand how many times that has happened in the last 5 years :D

Please keep me informed, if you want to PM me directly, please don't hesitate.

Nathan

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        Many thanks Nathan. I shall take your advice about lengthy posts:thumbsup: