1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tinkers Allotment

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Tinker86, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
    +151
    I had a few lengths of scaff boards spare, but not enough to evenly create raised beds, so I opted for a pond outside of my huts windows. The sound of running water in the open air and the opportunity to grow bog and pond plants helped the decision to get out the space and get digging. I’m really happy with how it’s transformed a wasted space and given me a nice spot to enjoy a cuppa..!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
      +151
      I think it’s the way of an allotment. You use what you have as best as you can. Things are constantly changing and adapting.

The shed originally was a spare so before moving to the plot, I made 2 roof hatch windows that open outwards. They really do work wonders in offering up extra light. It was a long day constructing them from scratch but I’m happy with the end result.

• Like Like x 3
      • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
        Ratings:
        +6,224
        I really like it! Especially with the boards down too, nice place to sit down and dip your feet after a hard days! Reminds me of last year, I plonked a plastic chair down and filled a trug with water and sunk my feet in that :biggrin:

Bit of genius idea with the shed roof too, never thought of doing that! Ours is a council run site and we had sheds provided from a grant so don't think they'd be too happy if I went and done that :redface:

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          I think it looks smashing plus a nice place to sit in when relaxing :love30: but you've done good with those roof hatches...me and my hubby have been looking at the electric water features and we've clocked one...i want to buy it and he keeps saying hold on they might drop the price :snorky:...we're thinking of moving the bird bath in the centre of the garden and putting it there because like yourself and the members...the sound of water is relaxing :thumbsup:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
            +151
            I had another afternoon up the allotment.

I planted up a bed of brown/red onions and gourmet shallots, and then gave them a covering with fleece once done.

I decided to get my first early potatoes in as well. I’ve gone for Rocket this year. I’d be grateful to hear from any of you who have grown Rocket. I had a decent enough look online and they sound as though they’re a real early variety so fingers crossed.

I also managed to put up another couple of shelves in the hut and gave it a good tidy up. Yes that’s it tidy haha
            I won’t be leaving the place soon when it warms up. I love the peace and quiet.

BAC50FF8-A3B0-48F4-B4F7-9ACD60187F45.jpeg 63416650-5E83-4728-8513-911F1B8ED7A5.jpeg F87758E1-AD6A-4C6D-B7ED-549E38057C7F.jpeg FA3424A3-792C-487E-B315-CEB83863D9F2.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Hi @Tinker86 i can see that becoming your first home mate :heehee: but your doing well :dbgrtmb:

Found this info on Rocket Potatoes..i hope it helps as i don't grow stuff mate :)

WHEN TO CHIT / SPROUT ROCKET POTATOES

We recommend that you start chitting / sprouting Rocket potatoes in the third week of February. This will give them four to five weeks to develop healthy sprouts just at the time when they are ready to be planted out. Keep the potatoes in cool but light conditions to ensure they grow short, green sprouts

WHEN TO PLANT ROCKET POTATOES

Rocket potatoes are a first early variety and they are ready for harvest, if conditions are correct, 10 to 11 weeks after the seed potatoes are planted. The key factor governing the time for planting all potatoes is the date of the last frost in your area. Even a touch of frost can damage potato plants if their foliage is above ground, an unexpected severe frost can kill them completely.
              The date for planting Rocket seed potatoes can be calculated on the basis that seed potatoes will take four weeks before they appear above ground. Given also that you want them to appear above ground only when the danger of frost has passed (the last week of April is the UK average) the last week of March is about right time to plant them.

WHEN TO HARVEST ROCKET POTATOES

The harvest date for all potatoes is not only dependent on when you plant your seed potatoes, it also depends on the weather conditions throughout the growing season. But on average you can expect your potatoes to be ready for harvest some time between the second and last weeks of June 2017 in your area of the UK.

• Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2018
              • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                Ratings:
                +6,224
                Good going Tinker.

I grew rocket last year and I'm growing 2 lots of them this year.. bloody gorgeous potato IMO! Although a first early I found it mashes really well with a bit of milk and butter (my kids don't accept any potato form other than mash without bribing) and also roasts just as good without par boiling.

With the onions and shallots they shouldn't need fleece but keep it on if you haven't got any netting as when the leaves start to shoot the birds will pull them up and can break the roots. Not everyone does it but.. you can start them off in trays to get a good root system before planting out.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
                  +151
                  A gem as ever! Thanks Gail, massive help as always.!!!

• Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
                  +151
                  Glad to bump into someone who has grown Rocket before.
                  From what you’re saying it ticks all my boxes! Perfect..!

I put down the fleece, not for warmth but exactly as you said. As a form of stopping birds pulling them up before they’ve set down their roots. It’s a lightweight one, so should work well. Nothing worse, laying out sets to go back and they’re all pulled up and scattered. So hopefully it works as a worthy deterrent..

Thank you Linz

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
                    +151
                    73A6C03B-661F-4B45-A69D-DBF2078BCB38.jpeg CA89342D-7993-4860-903E-3155CA394CA6.jpeg EBE14E82-13DC-43D1-A453-2E4A211082F3.jpeg F03A2FAD-D39C-4E3C-B907-EE2877201649.jpeg 1307A8A3-F055-4153-9E54-5EB0C89255AD.jpeg 0F0466AE-E391-472D-995C-8DBA718A532C.jpeg

More progress down at my plot. Because the majority of my beds are ready to go, I did a bit more work on the pond area, adding a couple of plants, well, bamboo cuttings and grasses inside the butlers sinks on a bed of pea shingle.

I inherited some free roofing tiles so they came in handy around the deck area.

My onions and shallots have really come to life, along with my sunflowers, lilies and many more potted babies.

It’s starting to really get going, I think Spring has really sprung. This wet and warm weather is working wonders!!!