Tip for Sciarid fly (Fungus Gnats)

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Aesculus, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +54,004
    Pete, I don't think it makes much difference whether the soil is damp or not. The particular plant/soil I'm having problems with is a Ficus and I water it once every six to eight weeks. It stands next to a radiator so is bone dry a lot of the time.

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352

Pete I was thinking the fly cant fly , and if tightly wrapped , Sheal do a experiment for us with cling film but it would have to stay on for at least 4 weeks

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,610
      Oh, then maybe it is just a type of compost thing.:dunno:
      Its just that I dont actually see them any more since I've been going into "neglect" mode every winter.
      Years ago when I used to fuss a bit over the plants during the winter it was always "present".
      I hasten to add, not a "problem" as such.:)

• Like Like x 1
      • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,352
        I only have plants on the kitchen window sill , two orchids a massive aloe vera and another aloe havnt a clue what that one is must take a photo and put on GC , flies in most rooms in the house not that many one or two who come and check me out , I think central heating is the problem ? well is with me that have it too easy, I sit the orchids on paper towel in the bottom of the pot that the clear plastic pots sit in and have thrown out every couple of days sine this thread has started to see if that can help ??

Spruce

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +54,004
        This is not the only houseplant I have Spruce and although it would probably work with my Ficus the other plants are multi stemmed and it wouldn't be possible to close the clingfilm completely, thus defeating the object. I think a drench on all the soil of all the plants is the only way to go. I will let you know how this bi-carb experiment turns out though. :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +54,004
          Well it looks like the bi-carb is working. I drenched the soil in all my house plants last week and the gnats are now down to a minimum, just the odd one here and there. I'll wait for the soil to dry out a bit and give them another drench, hopefully that should finish them off. :)