1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tipsters Corner

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Jun 4, 2016.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,527
    Cooking with Oils

The Smoke Point (what it says on the can :heehee:) of oils differs depending on which ones they are and whether they are 'Virgin' or not.

Basically you should avoid high temperature frying with Virgin oils. So, with Extra Virgin Olive Oil you should keep that for, specifically, adding to food when already cooked. Virgin Olive oil you can use for low temperature cooking and Light Olive oil can be used for high temperature cooking.

Butter has a low Smoke Point but clarified butter (Ghee - which is used in Indian cooking) has a high Smoke Point.

There are loads of websites that give you the Smoke Point of oils. :blue thumb:

Wok Cooking

It's best to use a heavy based pan (cast iron is the best) for wok cooking and it should be heated to a high temperature before the oil is added. A lot of cook books tell you that but don't give an explanation. It's because wok cooking needs the pan to be as hot as possible to get the best result. If you put the oil in the pan with the pan cold the oil may get to its Smoke Point before the metal of the pan is hot enough to give a good even cooking. Heavy pans are good for this and also keep the heat more even.

When do you know if the pan is hot enough to put the oil in?

You use the water test. Drop a couple of drops of water in the pan. If the water evaporates almost immediately it's ready. If the drops of water start bouncing around the pan before evaporating it's too hot.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • shiney

Ratings:
      +118,527

Good point, but remember that 10% can burn sensitive skin and can take colour out of some fabrics.

10% peroxide is also known as 30 volume peroxide (really 33 volume) and is used as an activator for hair bleach. You can actually use it neat for lightening hair (a lot of people do) but I wouldn't recommend it :nonofinger:. Depending on your base colour, it can make it go yellow (that sun bleached look :heehee:)!

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Christmas Food Tip/s:

Listening to the TV, whilst busy with other things today, it was mentioned that up to 40% of food bought for Christmas ended up in landfill :hate-shocked: (or, for the more careful, food recycling bucket).

So, as simple as it sounds: take a note of what you have in your cupboards/fridge/freezer; then, note on your calendar a simple menu plan to use up all that food, in date expiry order! It can be accomplished in less than one hour and not only stretches the pennies when our minds are stretched to the limit on other things, but, knowing what you are going to put out, and when, will save you any headaches on the organisational front.

Likewise, if you are doing any last minute food shopping (especially in the hope of getting a last minute reduction) do check out the reduced counter! If it is a bargain (first) check to see if it is freezable. If yes to both, buy it, freeze it as soon as you get home and mark it up on your menu plan for January ;) :dbgrtmb:

Major supermarkets have joints of meat at £5 per kg at the moment. I save all year just for this! I buy as many as I can fit in my freezer for the year ahead. The raw joint will be fine in the freezer for up to 6-9 months. They are large joints, so what I tend to do is: roast one to eat that Sunday; when cold (it slices thinner when cold), slice, wrap and then freeze. That way, I have enough roast, sliced meat for the next few weeks of Sunday meals. Obviously, I rotate which meats I cook so it doesn't become tedious. :blue thumb:

End of December/New Year: Christmas Puddings will be on sale and reduced by a fair margin. Buy them!! They actually have a long shelf life (especially if they have an alcohol content: it is a preservative) and the one you buy *this* year at a reduced price will be good to go for next Christmas ;) Likewise, Christmas Cake. If it is iced, remove any icing/marzipan, wrap it in greaseproof paper and foil and then just periodically "feed" it with a tot of alcohol throughout the year and it is ready for next Christmas. Another Christmas food: mincemeat! Again, grab any jars which are reduced down after Christmas. They will be fine, if left unopened, for making mince pies with for next Christmas :thumbsup:

What to do with too much mincemeat?
        • use as a filling in pancakes (and top with a dollop of cream to counteract the richness)
        • use in a bread and butter pudding
        • add a blob on top of rice pudding
        • use it in a boiled fruit cake recipe instead of dried fruit (but, reduce the liquid content slightly)
        :merryx:

• Like Like x 3
        • Useful Useful x 2
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          I like the serving tips on food packets.

"Why not serve with Asparagus tips and a knob of butter."

Thats my favorite :)

• Funny Funny x 4
          • Like Like x 1
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +118,527
            It's @"M" 's favourite, also :loll:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1