1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

To Fell or Not to Fell

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Weedling, May 20, 2018.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Very valid point. Sadly so often our wildlife friends are overlooked.

Some years ago. My friend, a tree surgeon was working on some poplars in the garden that backs onto mine. He became aware of some squeaking sounds and found two baby grey squirrels on the ground. Their eyes weren't open. He asked Val & I what to do. We took them on, raising them on cat milk and cereal then to solids. I built a large cage in the garden for them. One became very tame, sadly at the age of about eight yrs, he/she escaped. The remaining one, who was a bit vicous lived to the age of fourteen. We were having some work done by the council. A young cockey workman , didn't see eye to eye with me on something. He reported me to the RSPCA. An Inspector called. Ye says I. We did raise two Toby's. Sad to say, the remaining one was found dead this morning. It's in that black bag.
    I then learned something. Toby's are classed as vermin. Despite our TLC in rearing these two. Had we released them back to the wild. We could have been prosecuted. In this instance. For them to have lived to the ripe old age of fourteen. That was a record, as in the wild, their lifespan is about four years, if that.

2. Weedling

Weedling Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    If only they had been Reds....

-----------------

Here are some better pictures of the trees from all angles. The others were just quick ones with a phone and were a bit rubbish to get a good overall view.

The Copper beech is actually growing away from the house as it has a bit of a mullet as it is growing towards the sun.

Everything seems to look more messy in photos. I guess it is because you are not there in person seeing it in three dimensions.

Anyway...pictures from all angles.

trees-5525.jpg trees-5526.jpg trees-5532.jpg trees-5534.jpg trees-5535.jpg trees-5538.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  3. Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    It would break my heart to fell any of them.

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,491
    In those photos they don't look anywhere near as bad as they appeared earlier. I would still remove the plum and cut back, or remove, the cotoneaster. The Beech is another matter. It looks as though it needs some judicious pruning and some crown work on it. It also looks as though some of it may be a possible hazard to traffic or pedestrians - can't really tell.

I would be concerned about doing too much to it as it's not as close to the house as first appeared but it certainly looks as though it could do with some professional cutting back. You would also need to find out whether it had a TPO on it and a good tree surgeon shouldn't touch it without you checking first.

5. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    My thinking too Shiney....good advice too about the TPO. :)
    The copper beech, with skilled pruning, has to be retained :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1