1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

To greenhouse...

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Sarah_999, May 24, 2007.

1. Sarah_999

Sarah_999 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    or not to greenhouse!!

My dearly beloved has today offered to buy me a greenhouse!! [​IMG]

Thing is I've only been doing this gardening thing for a few weeks - am I looking at too much commitment?? I'd like to grow some veg at some point and am growing some flowers from seed which would all benefit from a greenhouse, I know.

I could fit a 6' x 8' to the east side of my back garden alongside the hedge on the left in this pic...

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t72/Sarah_999_album/100_2851.jpg

Is this a good position? Should it stand on the ground or on a base? Am I asking the right questions? Should I stop looking a gift horse in the mouth and just go for it?? :confused:

2. david22

david22 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi sarah
    yes i would say a greenhouse is a brilliant idea where you want to place it will have sun all day ,so that's good.
    as for the size, i recommend that the bigger the better cause once you start you find that you want to do more and more

best of luck

dave

3. david22

david22 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi sarah
    sorry only answered half of that, it takes as much time as you want to give and the work is not at all hard. about the base, if it's windy where you are then i suggest that you put a concrete base down and secure the greenhouse.
    it's very windy where i am and that's what i've done and so far i have had no problems

have fun planting

dave

4. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Absolutely right Dave. Sarah, go for it :D

5. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the other two - if I had the space and someone offered to buy me one, I'd be saying "oooh, yes please!" before they'd finished asking! :D

6. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  7. Mel

Mel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Go for it quick or he might change his mind!!!! ;)

8. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    What else is left to say? :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Sarah_999

Sarah_999 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone!! :D

Of course I mentioned it the following day and he said 'What greenhouse?' but that happens at his age!! There's a bit of preparation to do in the garden first, as the wall behind where I want it to go is unfinished. Or I could leave the fence up and pretend there's no wall there!

Either way it'll need a base and I have to consider the options on that. My dad grows his tomatoes in the soil in his gh rather than in pots/bags, so I'm going to seek his advice on how that works for him before just paving over the area!

I know it's a while away yet, but I'm really looking forward to it!! :D :D

10. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    My tomatoes usually grow in the greenhouse, as I opted for an earth floor. I fancied a vine or something exotic as well but have found there's no room! [Always try to fit in a greenhouse bigger than you think you need].
    This winter I was plagued by creatures- rats, mice? digging holes into the greenhouse, so if you live in a country area that's something to consider.
    This year my tomatoes are in the plastic greenhouse in growbags [not tried these before] and the melons and peppers are in the greenhouse.
    [​IMG]

11. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My friend's wee greehouse (6x6) was set on a slab base. Has the advantage that it's easy to keep clean. Toms etc. are grown in large pots or 99p. black buckets with half moon slots rasped in the bottom edge for drainage.

An earth floor is OK for permanant plants such as a vine but where you have the risk of disease or infestation of anuals I prefer plants in pots that can be moved or in a bad case thrown out. I also feel that applied feed goes to the plant, not into the sub-soil.

12. david22

david22 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'V GOT TO AGREE WITH FROGESQUE ON THIS ONE SARAH. I HAVE A CONCRETE BASE AND IT'S EASY TO KEEP CLEAN AND THE COMPOST FROM THE OLD POTS GO'S ON THE GARDEN.

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I agree with Frogy and david I have a solid floor in the g/house, in my polytunnel I have a central flag path the sides have been dug out 6" deep a thick membrane put down and back filled to path level with gravel everything that goes in is in a pot or growbag the gravel absorbs any excess water and keeps the humidity higher on hot days.

14. Sarah_999

Sarah_999 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input, Folks!

John took me looking today and hasn't backed out yet!! [​IMG] He even thinks that poly carbonate is a safer idea although more pricey. Nice that he thinks of my welfare!

Got to measure up the site accurately now and get the fence/wall situation sorted. Thinking that Walnut's idea of a liner and gravel sounds good bearing in mind the disease proofing that pots and growbags gives.

Could I be any more excited???!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Sarah this was the 20x10 polytunnel under construction earlier in the year notice I set the path to one side when I do my hanging baskets I hang them to the left on the tie bars that way you are not walking into them when you go down the path.
    [​IMG]