Today is last cigarette day

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by al n, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,837
    so pleased that you've stayed with it al n. Two weeks - that's fantastic,keep it up :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Thank you, so much, for that update, al!!! Bravo!! :yay:

gcc - you are quite right; it was grossly uncomfortable and not high on my agenda to repeat! But, you are equally right that it boils down to the "draw" factor. That is taking a bit of getting used to; however, unlike our star performer, al-n, I haven't quite yet, disposed of my cigs.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      I saw one of my mates today who I haven't seen for 4 months. He has visibly piled on the pounds but looked fit and 10 years younger than I remembered. He was round my house for a good couple of hours and we went to see a mutual mate and we were round there for a while and he couldn't keep still. Last time I'd seen him he looked about 80. This evening he looked about 25. He announced its been 4 months since he last had a smoke. He also asked me when he should expect to notice the difference, which shocked me, because between today and 4 months ago the colour has restored to his face, I couldn't hear him breathing, he was moving without wincing, he smiled a few times for the first time in years, generally he reminded me of when we were mates years ago. We even performed a few stupid childish stunts involving a wheelie office chair, some stairs, and an old settee to be disposed of.

You don't realise how much difference is made when its you. That's because you're you 24/7 so every change is gradual. Seeing my mate for the first time in months after he'd quit smoking, made me realise just how much difference I've gone through since quitting, and seeing my dad go from barely being able to walk a year ago to now, planning a nearly 50 mile bike ride tomorrow and looking forward to it, or me, going from feeling like the end is nigh to climbing trees in the local park, quitting smoking makes a massive difference. Smoking is a mug's game. Smoking is only legal because it makes the government a fortune and keeps the population count under control.

Good luck to Al N, Mum and anyone else planning to quit or in the process of quitting.

• Like Like x 6
      • Jenny namaste

Ratings:
        +31,837
        That was a very inspirational post clueless 1. My best wishes go to all GC members who are giving it up. We are all here for you .
        Jenny namaste

• Like Like x 1
        • al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
          Ratings:
          +3,267
          well Mum, its the start of stoptober :blue thumb:

go fer'it girl...........:dbgrtmb::dancy:

• Like Like x 3
          • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
            Ratings:
            +14,126
            How's it going Mum....? :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
            • Jenny namaste

Ratings:
              +31,837
              I'm sitting here- ready with a cup of tea if you feel like dropping in.
              Jenny
              Good luck

• Like Like x 1
              • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,885
                Aw, thank you so much for thinking of me: totally appreciated.

Well, yesterday was a very busy day with a big family feast, wine to finish off and cigs to finish off. Which was great, but, by 1930hrs, I was totally shattered and decided to go to bed. Wrong! Woke up at 2250hrs ... :th scifD36: ... no smokes, totally wide awake, knowing I had the night to get through and daren't even think about any kind of patch until morning :wallbanging:

:ideaIPB: E-cig!! .... :eeew: .... back to bed to read for as long as it takes to get back off.

Got up this morning ... shower, patch ... :whistle: ... :th scifD36: .... :noidea: .... then Mr Mum dragged me out, marched me around the seaside: "Hmm, lovely fresh air today, Mum!" ... :mute: :th scifD36:
                Toured me around the High Street: "Ooh look, that would make a nice "reward" gift!" :mute::th scifD36:
                Dragged me around the local Morrisons .... nicotine patches *half price* so, Mr Mum stocked up.
                Drove me off to the local Dogs Trust ... (getting quite ratty now - got that "taste" in my mouth) ... Mr Mum gave me an extra strong mint and took me inside to register .. :th scifD36: ... "Aww, look! Just think, with what you save ..... "

And then, I saw him: Clarence; a Rottweiller :wub2: Mr Mum has promised we may have a rescue dog when I've given up good and proper.

So, now when the craving strikes, I'm imaging Clarence (but then there was Scarlet too, a collie X; and Dobby :scratch: )

My backup kit consists of: patches; the e-cig for that moment when my mouth/hand habit need some support and an image of my potential "reward" :doggiesmz:

Day 1 has not gone quite as smoothly as I'd hoped (and planned for) but .... so far so good. Mr Mum may well put coal on upside down, but he's been determined to keep me busy and focus my thoughts and even had back up mints in his pocket :heehee:

And that reminds me, I need to find the MP3 download quoted in my quit pack.

Thank you for thinking of me and your support :grphg:

• Like Like x 4
                • Jenny namaste

Ratings:
                  +31,837
                  Mum, it's 16.24 - only7.36 to go and you've DONE YOUR FIRST DAY!!
                  :dancy:
                  :yay:

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
                  Ratings:
                  +14,126
                  Mum it is hard & I felt like I went to hell & back during the 1st 48hrs but then it got a bit easier.... I munched on mints & gum & drank allot of tea.. I also managed to sort out all sorts of muddles & cupboards trying to keep busy.. ;)

I think that having a goal to aim at too is very important & if it is to be a dog that is fantastic.. They make going for walks so different & so much more fun..
                  A few years ago now while in between dogs, I used to help out at a local dog rescue place walking dogs for them & I loved that..

So come on Mum.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2