1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomato doctor needed to identify possible pestilence

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Aldo, May 8, 2018.

1. Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,318
    Out of curiosity, do plants develop a resistance to sunlight over time?
    A bit like us developing melanine after a while?
    I wonder if there is anything one can do to encourage that.

2. Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I read on one of the other tomato threads that the leaves will turn purple to block out too much light

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,318
      Thanks, that makes sense.
      Perhaps tomatoes which can stand intense sunlight do have a bit more of that then..

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,193
      It's more about their smaller root systems being able to cope with drawing up enough water to stop them wilting. A tomato seedling is pretty small and with the lovely sunny weather we have been getting recently our garden soil dries out very quickly. A seedling just cannot get it's roots down far enough to find moisture and will therefore frazzle up. As they get older their root systems develop more in proportion so they can withstand extremes.

Only thing you can do is to shade them in the midday fierce sun - drape garden fleece over them or as I do at the moment (with them being in pots) move them to a shadier spot.

• Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,318
        It makes sense, thanks.
        A probably silly question but, with seedlings which are to be repotted outdoor later on, does it make sense to pot them in narrow containers, so to encourage deeper roots which will come up useful later?
        Or perhaps it makes no difference and there is no way to encourage plants to develop in one direction rather than another?

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,193
        Generally I re-pot tomatoes into another slightly bigger pot. But occasionally when my plants have got really leggy I've used rose pots which are deep and narrow:

[​IMG]

(Stock image I found on google)

The main reason I used those is because they can be packed together closely overnight i.e. less space). I think it is a good idea to encourage extra roots. You can strip off lower leaves up to the first truss in order to maximise the stem root depth.

• Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,318
          Thanks, I have topped up the pots of my 6 bush tomatoes, so to cover a bit more of the root stock stem, perhaps it will help them establish faster, so I can start hardening them!

• Like Like x 1
          • Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,318
            It worked!
            They grew overnight noticeably, all of them, and they look more healthy now.
            Thansk so much for the good advice :)

• Like Like x 2