1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomato Grafting

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Nicely written, illustrated postings John...thank you. It's an interesting topic for sure and one I would like to have a go at eventually.

Can the rootstock be grown fully (without grafting a scion on) to collect your own seeds for future years use?

And did you save any seed from your grafted plants fruit to try and grow in the normal way this year? My thinking is that the grafted plants seeds will naturally grow stronger healthier plants this year.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      The rootstocks I've seen (Arnold and Aegis) are F1's :(

• Agree Agree x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,042
        Kristen is right. As you know, being F1 means that any plants grown from saved seed would not be true to type, and probably pretty poor. Conversely the rootstock plants were quite spindly weak looking things as seedlings.

I can see what you are getting at but I think the laws of genetics mean that a grafted Gardeners Delight plant will produce the same seed as a non-grafted plant. By forcing the plant to be bigger using a stronger root system should not affect the genetic makeup of the seed. Interesting idea though and unfortunately I didn't save any of my own seed last year.

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        @JWK ....Have you got any grafting on the go yet this year John?:dbgrtmb:...

• Like Like x 1
        • JWK

Ratings:
          +46,042
          Yes Loli :) I'm attempting to grow all my tomatoes as grafts this year. I've got three batches on the go, to increase my chance of matching up rootstock and scion sizes.

Yesterday I grafted my first batch, 7 seedlings of Gardener's Delight, Sungold and New Girl onto Arnold F1 rootstock (same as previous two years).

I tried to be a bit more careful than last year and took my time doing the grafts, but I was really struggling to see close up (old age strikes again), I had to resort to a magnifying glass in the end to check that the grafts are butted up properly and may have over-handled them.

They all went into a plastic box with high humidity kept cool and in low light.

One of my seedlings has collapsed and died overnight so down to 6 already.

How about you Loli?

• Like Like x 1
          • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            I've not tried the tomato grafting yet as i've still not got round to putting borders in my GH:doh:but i'll still have a go for one or two in pots just to keep the practise in:blue thumb:...i am going to have a go at the 'tomtato' though,just waiting for the main crop 'Roosters' to catch up...they're coming through now:blue thumb:....

I've been looking at lots of different methods using ,tape and clips and even super glue can you believe:huh:....that should be fun...also spotted some 'tubing' in the pet shop meant for aquariums and the likes thought that might come in handy cut into graft sized pieces....this one is too big for tomatoes i think but may be useful for the tomtato's ...you can get smaller though:blue thumb:

P1030403.JPG

• Like Like x 1
            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              I've taken to wearing my reading glasses when pricking out, and have my trusted Leech 10x loupe, from Biology classes in my Skool Days :) nearby - but that's a useless approach - wastes my only spare hand!

I wonder if the time has come to invest in one of these (and if so Which One??)
              [​IMG]
              Lots of choices on that site:
              http://www.magnifyingglasses.co.uk/...ogue_Hands_Free_Magnifiers_and_Stands_12.html

"Illuminated LED Reading Glasses" - little LEDs in the frames - might be handy for reading in bed :) ... I digress!

Maybe a strong "task" light is the answer? Or a magnifying glass with a built in task light? This one has an additional "spot" magnifier too

[​IMG]

Or jeweller's glasses?
              [​IMG]
              20x magnification, left-to-right adjustable, LED built in, spare set of batteries, £8 ... too good to be true??
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ICYFRJU/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=watch

• Informative Informative x 2
              • JWK

Ratings:
                +46,042
                I'm going to try the 'tomtato' too, I was wondering about how to hold graft in place, good ideas there using tubing etc.

I'm still at the thinking stage :). I reckon some of my main batch of Gardeners Delight should be suitable for grafting in a few weeks time. I haven't started my potato chitting yet - I can see timing being a real problem so I'm holding them back. I reckon the tomatoes need to have fairly thick stems to match the potato sprouts. My plan is to use a shotgun approach with lots of grafts onto one potato tuber hoping that at least one will 'take'. Then I'll remove all the weaker looking grafts hoping to end up with one decent tomato scion per potato tuber.

• Like Like x 1
                • Informative Informative x 1
                • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                  +12,667
                  You still growing in containers/bags? How do you put up with all that watering effort? :)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                  +12,667
                  Do you split the tube, longways, first? (so you can get it off again!) You might find that it closes up on itself ...

A use for Side Shoots maybe? If left on they would be of varying thickness. Mind you, turn-your-back and you'll have a forest of side shoots of varying thickness!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    Yes still in containers:doh:...but have done for years so got used to the watering rigmarole :rolleyespink: still it's not so bad:thumbsup:

Yes i'll split the tubes:blue thumb:...i could just aswell order some but when i spotted it i thought:ideaIPB:...we'll see if it works:thumbsup:

Me too:dbgrtmb:

Re the Tomato grafting i have thought about 2 grafts on the side shoots...talk about getting above my station but can't resist having a go:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Useful Useful x 1
                    • JWK

Ratings:
                      +46,042
                      Checked my grafts yesterday, I'm keeping them in a plastic box in the cool shade indoors and misting them twice a day, so far so good:

20140405-P4050037.jpg

In 3 days time I'll start the process of taking them out the box, gradually cutting down the misting and giving them a bit more day light.

This grafting process effectively stops them growing for two weeks.

• Informative Informative x 3
                      • Like Like x 2
                      • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
                        Ratings:
                        +31,177
                        I like the look of these:
                        http://www.magnifyingglasses.co.uk/acatalog/HBL1 Illuminated Headband Magnifier 72dpi.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                          +0
                          Looking good John:thumbsup::fingers crossed:

• Like Like x 1
                          • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                            +0
                            How's the grafts doing John?:thumbsup: are you going to try the 'twin' grafts from the side shoots?