Tomato Grafting

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Feb 21, 2013.

1. DRB

DRB Gardener

Fully retired now
    Ratings:
    +86
    Now that's a really clever idea. It's the photo the result of the top of an amputated rootstock. If so it looks a healthy plant. This certainly needs some follow up. Good thinking....!

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,653
    Yes the photo is just the amputated rootstock tip, it grew new roots much quicker than I'd thought.

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    @JWK Has kindly sent me one of his Gigantomo (giant) tomatoes grafted onto Estamino rootstock.

My initial reaction was it appeared to be suffering from 'growlight stress', apparently the grafting procedure requires an earlier start to overcome the period of setback whilst the graft takes and the plant gets going again (with increased vigour), but potting up + a light feed + putting in heated greenhouse and giving a mix of natural light and just an odd 'boost' from growlights.

The big difference between a grafted plant and those I grow from seed is that I keep burying them deeper and deeper from the very first transplant, through every potting up stage right through to planting in polytunnel borders when plants are laid at an angle and even more stem is buried, but grafted plants can't be buried deeper than the graft.

But it's going to be really interesting to compare grafted Gigantomo growth/sizes against my seed grown plants (sown around the time JWK's were being grafted), which I grow using the methods described here http://www.giantpumpkin.com/GiantVegetablesBook.htm#Tomatoes

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • JWK

Ratings:
      +45,653
      Glad you got it in one piece Scrungee.

The graft joint is quite weak so handle with care. I've lost some in past years hardening off outside and a gust of wind has snapped the scion off. This year I've used 'cleft' grafting and it looks to be much stronger.

• Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,996
        The stem above the graft joint has the beginnings of roots forming on the stem, do these stop growing once the graft is established, or does the scion need constant watching to ensure it's not making efforts to produce it's own roots?

On a couple of occasions over the years, I've noticed (non-grafted) tomatoes producing roots on their stems above soil level, and the reason has been root disease/failure.

• JWK

Ratings:
          +45,653
          Yes they do appear on mine too, I think it's when the plants are kept too humid. I'm sure the graft is established now, I've not seen any signs of them wilting. Once they get planted out into a dryer greenhouse/tunnel they stop forming. The other thing to watch for is sideshoots appearing from the rootstock low down - they obviously need taking off.

• Like Like x 1
          • Scrungee

Ratings:
            +28,996
            @JWK Would it be possible for the rootstock to have a greater length of stem so that some could be buried to produce an even bigger vigorous rootball?

• JWK

Ratings:
            +45,653
            Yes, and more by luck than judgement my second batch of graftings I did on Monday are just like that. I got my timings wrong and the rootstock have about 8" of stem before the graft. This batch is intended for my outdoor crop so again it's an experiment for me.

I'll post pictures of them if any survive the healing process - will be another few days before I know.

• misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,770
            Here is my modest attempt for 2016.

B&Q Desiree seed potato rootstock potting up - 1st March 2016.
            [​IMG]

Morrisons "Grape" cherry tomato scion - 13th April 2016.
            [​IMG]

The healing chamber (which fits nicely inside black plastic bin liners to exclude light).
            [​IMG]

Checking on progress, 8 days after grafting - 21st April 2016.
            [​IMG]

Sending out roots in search of moisture, aeroponics style.
            [​IMG]

Observation: the humidity is too high.
            [​IMG]

The way I see it, the trickiest part with grafting soft stems is the care needed in controlling the growing conditions: light, temperature and moisture levels.

I grafted 10 plants of these two combinations aiming to get atleast 5 successes.

Three are expected to fail simply because the rootstock were not of the desired quality - Desiree potato plants sometimes form hollow stems which are difficult to graft. These hollow sections are located at the pinkish/brown parts of the stem in picture 2 above.

The perfect rootstock plant would be a tall, solid stem so that after you graft it, it can be planted deep or earthed up.

• Informative Informative x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +45,653
              Very interesting @misterQ - I like the idea of slicing up the potato.

I agree, plus I found timings were critical for me, getting the rootstock and the scion stem sizes to match was not easy.

I had a go at DIY 'TomTatoes' the last three years:

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/diy-tomtato-grafting-tomatoes-onto-potatoes-2014.64597/

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/diy-tomtato-grafting-tomatoes-onto-potatoes-2015.92992/

I wish you more luck than I got, I had very variable results, one or two plants gave me excellent yield of potatoes but the majority were poor. I have to say that all the tomato scions yielded and tasted just as well as non-grafted plants.

• JWK

Ratings:
                +45,653
                Here's my second batch of tomatoes grafted on rootstock (which were grown on from cuttings taken from the first batch 6 weeks ago):
                20160428-P4280106.jpg

20160428-P4280105.jpg

The rootstock had become quite leggy which may be a good thing as I will bury the long stem when it come to planting them out and I'm hoping that will encourage a very vigorous root system.

This second batch are all intended for outdoor growing.

I had a good survival rate, only losing one out of 15, I think grafting at this later stage helps.

• DRB

DRB Gardener

Fully retired now
                  Ratings:
                  +86
                  HI JWK
                  Long time sorry. Busy+ and iPad on the blink. Good to see others grafting also. Very interested in your second grafting success with the tips of the first batch. I will certainly be doing that next year. My current Tom grafts going well despite persistent poor weather

• Like Like x 1
                  • DRB

DRB Gardener

Fully retired now
                    Ratings:
                    +86
                    See what I mean. iPad just posted this mid sentence. ANyway will try and upload a few photos later. Will get laptop out. Hope you keeping ok.

• Like Like x 1
                    • DRB

DRB Gardener

Fully retired now
                      Ratings:
                      +86
                      P1060401.JPG

Grafts in greenhouse. Supporting on string with clips this year so I can lean and drop and extend growing height for more trusses

P1060402.JPG

By the way Here's that grafted aubergine I overwintered
                      P1060407.JPG
                      P1060409.JPG

• Like Like x 3
                      • JWK

Ratings:
                        +45,653
                        Picked my first ripe tomatoes today, Sungold grafted onto Estamino. This one particular plant grew really strongly and flowered on the 6th April. Most of my other grafted plants are growing well too, only Giantomo and New Girl seem to have stalled. Giantomo hasn't yet flowered but looks to have some mega blooms forming. New Girl has some large unripe fruit but the plant is half the size of the other varieties.

So my grafted plants have now overtaken the normal non-grafted plants in terms of size and earliness of flowering.