Tomato Growing Thread 2012

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,839
    To boldly go FC. You're the boss!!:yes:

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,884
    Well, I bit the bullet earlier and re-potted the lot (with the exception of the little fella that has been out in the polytunnel for a few weeks) -

IMAG0246.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

I just hope that they aren't too upset with me, changing their pots and evicting them out into the polytunnel all on the same day.

The wee one in the brown pot is the one that has been residing in the polytunnel that was grown from seed along with the rest - incredible the difference the heat in the house has made.

• Like Like x 2
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +49,000
      OK folks, if your tomatoes have any flowers opening then you need to give them a gentle tap/shake every time you check/water them. Shaking the flowers helps pollination :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 5
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        John: Mine are in 1L pots, and huddled pretty close together. They are about waist height - haven't looked closely, but perhaps second truss has formed, and the first has been in flower for a week, maybe longer. They have a split cane for support (so about 1/3rd to 1/2 their height only).

Normally I reckon they would be in 2L or bigger by now, and with a 4' or 6' cane for company ...

You said the other day not to spoil them, and I'm pretty sure mine are that! A bit of yellowing of the leaf ... but they definitely look a bit drawn, although I suspect that's the lack of light, and rareness of decent daytime greenhouse temperatures so far this Spring ...

Should I be rushing to pot them on? (they are kind-of at the back of the jobs queue at the mo.)

• JWK

Ratings:
        +49,000
        It depends a bit on when you intend to finally plant them, I think it's a waste of time potting on if you intend to plant them into their final positions within the next week. If it's going to longer than that then I'd pot on asap.

1L pots do seem small given the height, don't you find you need to water twice a day as the rootball is so small?

I've potted mine into deep 4L rose pots over the bank holiday:
        [​IMG]

so that more of the stem can be buried to increase the root. This will be their last potting on before they go into their final position in a couple of weeks time.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Good appraisal John, makes sense now I read your thinking.

Don't think I have any Rose pots left, I have used so many this year for bulbs that couldn't go out because of wet or some other reason - the most common one being artistic discord! between me, the Under Gardener, and the Head Gardener, and compromising on planning to plant-out when in flower when we can be sure of choosing the best location and companions.

The cropping greenhouse is full of 1L hedge plants:
        IMG_2178_HedgePlants.jpg

IMG_2177_HedgePlants.jpg
        I'm wanting to give them greenhouse space for as long as possible to get maximum Spring-boost in height, hoping to have the hedge plants big enough to go out in the Autumn ... so I'll pot on pronto and may even get them to 9" or 12" before planting them out [in greenhouse border] in June. That will give them a bit of fresh fuel, in the new MP compost, and a decent length cane too.

Actually ... I have stacks and stacks of those square green rose pots characteristic of a brand of roses that is so famous ... that I've momentarily forgotten the name!

I think they may be taller than my greenhouse border is deep though ... perhaps they would be ideal as a ring-culture pot with the bottoms sawn off as discussed earlier on.

• Like Like x 3
        • mike99

mike99 Gardener

engineer
          Ratings:
          +9
          Mine are indoors : (

• JWK

Ratings:
          +49,000
          Blimey Kristen that is one heck of a lot of hedging!

• JWK

Ratings:
          +49,000
          You are not alone mike, I think most people will have them indoors right now. There's no rush to get them out until the weather picks up. I just moved the last two of mine into the greenhouse tonight, but mine are still all in pots so I can bring them back inside in case of frost.

Have you got a greenhouse?

• mike99

mike99 Gardener

engineer
          Ratings:
          +9
          We are in a mobile home, JWK, I have two gardens either side and did have a plastic greenhouse but they are not cheap and thay rot in the sun. B&Q want £100 for an instant pop-up one. My wife has the use of large g/houses where she works as a stopgap but I no longer have a workvan now, I just cycle to work ( I love it but ..no good for moving veg pots about haha)
          There's a bad storm forecast over tonight but they have been indoors for nearly two weeks now.. M

• Like Like x 1
          • Jenny namaste

Ratings:
            +31,839
            Mine are in the south facing bedroom still and though the first flower clusters are free of the stem, no sign of flowers plumping up at all. Too grey for them AND ME!!

• Like Like x 1
            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,668
              When I watered them this morning I saw that they are actually in 2L pots, so you were quite right that 1L was inprobable ... but I plan tol shift them to 4L this weekend.

I know I'm mad ... no need to rub it in!

Most of the Holm Oak hedging (cell grown plants bought last Autumn) was big enough that it went straight out, but part of that "feature" will need replacement of some of our perimeter hedge (mixed, gappy, and not redemable) and will need some larger plants so that they jump-start. And the Holly is likely to be nibbled I think, so I want larger starter plants for them too (and some of the curves-and-turns of the Labrynth I am going to plant will also replace the existing perimeter hedge - so, again, I want decent sized plants).

Can't afford a fiver-a-go for decent sized plants, so these quid-a-shot ones will need to become fiver-plants first :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
              • Jenny namaste

Ratings:
                +31,839
                You remind me of Spock Kristen - very logical in your approach.Look forward to seeing pictures of this project IDC,

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,668
                There's pictures on my blog (although not of the bits I haven't done yet!)

• Like Like x 1
                • mike99

mike99 Gardener

engineer
                  Ratings:
                  +9
                  better weather tmorow, so my three buckets are going outside before I go to work..and the bucket of cues...they dont know yet! (evil laugh.. :) :)