Tomato Growing Thread 2012

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,838
    Please Kristen,
    what has caused it? Are they lacking something? It cannot be TLC !!

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,884
    I've got some (not an awful lot, but a couple of tubs) that I got from Boots a while back - when do I apply it, and what have I done wrong?

I was about to start giving them tomato food this weekend too - should I hold off?

3. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,341
    Ah titter ye not missus. I just brush them with my tickling stick :-)

I was told that if you take a leaf branch off the plant it would grow, and indeed it did
    So I am giving it a try with the WHOLE stem :-) it is still green and strong tonight 48hrs on no wilt ?

My Makostako, I did not get them till late on, and it was so damn cold I did not put them in seed trays until a couple of weeks ago, now they are only one inch high in the cold greenhouse.
    All this means is the same as last year, I get fine plants with lots of green tomatoes on at the beginning of OCTOBER ready for death

I believe there are cheaper homes available in warmer climes ie Greece:roflol:
    Soreley tempted

Jack McH

• Like Like x 2
    • Jenny namaste

Ratings:
      +31,838
      Go on go GO ON Jack. Then we can all come out for our cheap hols!!:ccheers:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,341
      Really really tempted maybe not Greece but definately Emilia Romagna in Italy

Then once established all would be welcome to visit, air fare and feed your selves, rent free

Jack McH

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,517

Do it JackMcPizzaMunching:) I'm sure Aunt Sally would love to visit...

• Jenny namaste

Ratings:
      +31,838
      Where abouts in E.Rmagna? Are you going there for your retirement hols? Can't wait to pack me "let's go visit Jack" bags,
      You gotta have a dream, if you don't have a dream....:phew:- Can't see the whistle smiley,

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,517
      Thank you:)

• Jenny namaste

Ratings:
      +31,838
      Kristen,
      when you have a minute can you explain please?

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,998
      I'll answer for Kristen :)

Is this regarding the yellow leaved plant?

Well it looks like magnesium deficiency to me. This is fairly common at this time of year when folk are re-potting their tomatoes. The leaves turn yellow and brown between the veins which is often more noticeable on the lower leaves. Quite often it appears when you start feeding the plant with a high-potassium tomato feed, up till then the plant looks nice and healthy.

In severe cases premature defoliation can occur, but mild cases are unlikely to affect yield or quality. It is easily treated by spraying with Epsom Salts (ask for Magnesium Sulphate at the chemists). Dissolve ½ oz in a pint of water (20g/litre) and apply as a foliar spray each day for a week. The exact quantities are not critical. The plants quickly recover in a day or two.

Some people spray with Epsom salts prior to seeing any yellowing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Jenny namaste

Ratings:
        +31,838
        Thank you,
        Jenny

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +51,884
        Thank you :) - I fed them with some fish, blood and bone a couple of weeks before potting them on, thinking that I would move to the Tomorite once they were in their permanent homes (going to make Sunday feeding day then I don't forget); I'll start spraying with the Epsom salts this Sunday then its easy for my addled old brain to remember when the week is up :)

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +48,998
        It's not an exact amount of Epsom Salts each day, so if you miss a day or spray twice in a day you won't do any harm.

• Like Like x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +51,884
          Thanks - that is good to know given my current work schedule. :)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,668
          General concensus is not to feed at all (other than what they get from potting-on using fresh potting-compost each time) until the first truss has set (i.e. you can see pin-prick, or larger, fruit forming in the centre of the flower).

The thinking is that starving the plant encourages it to flower earlier / more. This does tend to lead to them looking less "lush" though ... contrary to what we normally strive to achieve. If you feed early (i.e. provide Nitrogen) they will look lush, but will feel happy and put more energy into lush, green, leaves rather than flowers & fruit ...

John's explained the Epsom Salts thingie ... Potassium can prevent the uptake of Magnesium (as can acid and very free draining soils), and thus the initial feeding with Tomato Fertilizer, which is high in Potassium, can exacerbate or bring on the condition, but starving the blighters in small pots before they set fruit doesn't help!

(As posted earlier I recommend getting Epsom Salts from Garden Centre rather than Chemist as I have found it significantly cheaper, eBay probably cheaper still, but you don't need very much, so convenience of supplier may be more important)

The plant robs itself of Magnesium when it gets short - so the chlorophyll in the old leaves is sacrificed and broken down to get the Magnesium and make it available to the younger leaves, hence you will see the condition on older leaves first (and usually the older leaves will not recover, or not recover fully, once they get to the point of having dark blotches on them - but no matter, you'll be cutting them off to let in more light and air at the base of the plant, fairly early on in the season, so its not a "tragic" loss)

Epsom Salts is a benign treatment, so no harm in applying it at the same time as starting the Potassium feeding cycle, or earlier, if you think it might be needed (although chlorosis [yellowing]of the leaves can also be caused by other mineral deficiencies).

I don't think my Comfrey is going to be ready in time as the first truss must be set by now (haven't looked carefully recently) and thus I should be starting to feed them ... so I'll have to resort to the stuff from a bottle ...

No need to buy Tomorite as any generic-brand-X Tomato fertiliser will do, and the Posh Brands are very expensive (relatively). I did a comparison some years ago, and my Nerdy thread is here:
          Tomato Feed Price Comparison

• Like Like x 3