Tomato Growing Thread 2012

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,838
    Thank you for all this priceless advice for us Newbies , Kristen. Whilst you were away, my Maskotkas and I almost came to blows but they won the day and are out there in the BIG O.
    Jenny

• Like Like x 3
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,998
      Looks like a nice position for them Jenny, and hopefully we are promised a few nice days of weather.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +51,884
      Thank you very much for all the info Kristen - you have an incredible amount of knowledge! :)

I've got a couple of bottles of Tomorite in hand at the moment, but I'll have a look at cheaper alternatives once I run out :)

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +51,884
      OK, things are advancing on the tomato plant front, although not sure all is to the good? The stems are definitely thickening now (so much so, I am going to have to go back and double check all the support ties at the weekend to make sure they aren't too tight) - and the yellowing of the leaves hasn't worsened, and not all plants are affected (Epsom Salts treatment will continue for a few more days though)

However, today I noticed that some of the top leaves on some of the plants were limp and curled under (almost like they were needing watered, but I watered and fed them last night?) Any ideas?

• Jenny namaste

Ratings:
      +31,838
      Perhaps they've got infant colic ( too much Tomorite ) FC.:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

ooops, fed mine for the first time tonight too. Little babbie toms. forming. We might both be mopping up sick tomorrow!!

• Like Like x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        I know this is a bit of cross-pollination from another (biggest tomato contest) thread, but if going for big toms hold back on the tomorite as it will enhance ripening and reduce the ultimate size of your tomato.

• Like Like x 1
        • JWK

Ratings:
          +48,998
          I'm not sure about what you are descibing but curled over top leaves are quite often seen in tomatoes as they start growing very fast, it's usually when they are planted in their final position. It's called 'bullish' vegetative growth, and it's a good sign, as it shows they are doing well. Usually they curl over at night and recover in the morning. It is a sign that they are growing maybe too many leaves though, and if you have no flowers then cut out feeding until some appear.

Also are they really limp or floppy? Just feel the top growth - it should feel firm, if it is limp there is another problem.

• Like Like x 2
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,668
            Couple of mine went limp at the top today, not enough water. We hit 30C today ...

But beware that too much water can have same / similar symptoms as too little (but you'll know if they have had plenty, or not, and if they went limp in the sun / hot conditions its more likely to be not enough, particularly if they recovered in the evening when the temperature cooled)

• Jenny namaste

Ratings:
            +31,838
            All had a drink of water at 7.13am. Sun not due around the back for about 2 hours. Was it a week ago that all the soil was dark and moist?

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +51,884
            They aren't limp today, but still curled at the top leaves, so I assume that is OK?

A few of them have light brown spots on some of the leaves now though - is it possible that it was too warm when I did the Epsom salts spraying the other day?

Also, one of the blighters has decided to break away into a Y shape - I take it that the smallest branch of the Y is a side shoot and should be cut off?

• JWK

Ratings:
            +48,998
            Yes that sounds better. I guess that the limpness was lack of water as Kristen described too.

I'm not really sure what brown spots could be. It is best to avoid splashing the leaves of any plant in a greenhouse whilst the sun is so strong as at present. It can scorch the leaves, but usually the scorch marks turn white.

If your variety are cordon (also called indeterminate) then you are supposed to nip out the sideshoots which grow in the axils of each leaf branch off the main stem (the axil is the joint of the leaf branch to the stem). The idea being to get a nice tall plant with trusses evenly spaced up the plant.

If they are bush (or 'determinate) variety just let them do their own thing.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +51,884
            They are Moneymaker - so I think I am right in saying that they are cordon? I'll take a piccy later before I cut anything though - I'd prefer the benefit of others experience before I go hacking at my plants.

• Hex_2011

Hex_2011 Gardener

Ratings:
            +134
            Spotting is usually associated with potassium (K) deficiency. If the spotting showed up or got worse after the recent epsom treatment its likely the cause was a K issue and not Mg :)
            Excessive magnesium can interfere with potassium availabilty. On the other side of the coin, potassium deficiencies can show up as a magnesium issue (certain groups of elements need to be in balance, an excess in one causes a deficiency in another and vice versa.)
            In short, if it was a K deficiency locking out Mg, adding epsom would only make the situation worse. Try a little low N, high K feed (tomatorite) on one or two plants and see how they look in a few days.

• Like Like x 1
            • Jenny namaste

Ratings:
              +31,838
              Well HALLO Hex,
              another tomaphile who knows what he's talking about. I'm Jenny, a relative newbie - and I don't!!
              Nice to meet you anyway and :sign0016: to Gardeners Corner. I refuse to lose sleep over my 9 Maskotkas and 2 Tumblers but I am trying to keep on good terms with them!!
              regards,
              Jenny

• Hex_2011

Hex_2011 Gardener

Ratings:
              +134
              Hi Jenny, Thanks for the welcome, i`ve been around GC for quite a while even though this username is fairly new.
              Figuring out nutrient problems isnt easy as the symptoms can look very similar, the best advice is to try just one thing at a time and allow at least 3 days for the results to show, unless its underwatering :)

• Like Like x 2