Tomato Growing Thread 2012

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Low night temperatures (below 12C)

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,884
    I like the fan idea - I might think about nicking that idea for next year; reckon I am going to need to get a new cover for the polytunnel by then anyway, thanks to it getting battered by the rain and wind

3. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +51,884
    Is there a medic in the house!! [looks frantically for Kristen]

I watered and fed all the toms and cues yesterday, and have been making sure that both windows on the poly tunnel have been rolled up to allow air-flow, and then closing them again at night - definitely less stuffy in there now; however, if anything, the foliage situation had taken a turn for the worse:

IMAG0004.jpg

And even more worrying, this plant which was the small one of the crew and latterly the healthiest looking, has something wrong with the upper foliage:

IMAG0002.jpg
    That is the very top of the plant all droopy and curled - I checked his pot, not dry but not soaking, just nice - so I don't think its a water issue?

The cues on the other hand seem to be doing really well (ironic, I seem to be able to grow something I can't eat!):

IMAG0005.jpg

Two new additions starting to swell.

View attachment 7229

The bottom one of this pair is now in the fridge - monster of a thing, same length as our wee dog!

IMAG0007.jpg
    One hiding away low down

IMAG0008.jpg

And one like me - a wee fattie! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

4. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Your cues are looking good FC but the first pic of your toms looks worrying....:dunno:

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +51,884
      I am really getting twitchy now - I've got loads of wee fruits appearing, and yet that is happening to the foliage.

Everything else looks reasonably healthy (well, some of the lettuce leaves look a wee but manky, but there is tons of them); the one thing I was really looking forward to more than anything else was my toms - especially as I was planning to use them with some of the million chillies that I've grown on the staircase windowsills :snork:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,995
      FC: Your droopy tomato leaves look like lack of water and maybe too much sun, tomato plants need between 1 to 2 pints of water a day at this stage, during this hot weather you need to constantly water them if you have them in pots or grow bags. The problem is the plant grows very big but the root system hasn't kept pace nor is able to in a confined pot. Sometimes they recover over-night if you give them a good dousing.

Have you got a max/min thermometer? Today has been very bad here, because outside temps have been around 26 deg C it has been getting too hot inside my greenhouse, when it gets above 30 tomato plants stop growing, anything above 35 can be fatal to them. They need shading and ventilation in this weather.

• Like Like x 3
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Picture 1 might be something, or nothing. My plants usually look pretty manky through neglect and I don't do anything to correct them. With more time and fewer plants I might put more effort in, but TBH I don't know what to suggest - except remove the bits that are clearly knackered. Maybe they've just got biffed at some point? (Had a blinking Pheasant in my Tom house yesterday careering around and doing untold damage ... now THAT should be in the freezer!)

Photo 2 is not so good. I would say some trouble at the roots, the plant isn't getting the water it needs. My first guess would be over watering, but that's nigh on impossible at this time of year with Toms (and you say is not the case). Something eating the roots would be my second. Bit hard to tell from the photo, but it might be that on that plant the top is wilting and the bottom is "normal"? If so slim chance that its some stem damage at the point where the wilting starts. But the more leathery bottom leaves will be harder to force to wilt, so it will be the softer top stems / leaves that show signs of wilting first.

Suggest check the roots first - to see if they are rotting / being eaten. If you can:

Raise the plant up by just the height of the pot. Holding it by the stem, right at the base, should be fine (but depends on what sort of attachment system you have above - if the whole plant is on a cane you should be able to lift it "as one". Then with your other hand :) or someone else's hand :) knock the edge of the pot e.g.with a trowel. A sharp tap front-and-back, or several around the rim, should be enough for the pot to just fall off the rootball (assuming the roots are not out the bottom of the pot and clinging on/together for dear life!). You can then inspect the roots visually and then just lower it back into the pot. Hopefully the roots are well enough developed that the rootball will all hold together whilst you do this.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Just seen JWK's reply whilst I was typing. Wilting will be either Over or Under watering, both look very much the same (and of course adding more water to a plant that is already overwatered is not good! so correct diagnosis is important). If its under watering then the compost will feel dry, and the plant will be light to lift (just lean the pot an inch, or lift it an inch, to gauge the weight, and compare how heavy it feels with one of its neighbours; also practice getting used to the "weight feel": lift or nudge a plant before and after watering to "feel" the difference).

Anyways, as I said it is almost impossible to overwater a Tomato this time of year, they are drinking like its their last one for the road before signing up for A.A. !! so if the compost is wet then there is almost certainly something wrong with the roots.

Lets hope its underwatering. Much easier to fix :)

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,893
        FC, something is suggesting to me there's not enough light and it's too humid in your greenhouse. Have you tried putting a couple of plants outside for a while to see if they recover?You say the cues are doing well, they like humidity tomatoes don't???

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,517
        One might be forgiven for thinking that Toms like a dry atmosphere. As far as I know, this isn't the case. Indeed, toms can suffer from poor pollination if it's too dry. I used to suffer a lot with 'dry sets', not any more:blue thumb: I guess it's a relative thing, Cues like it very humid, yes?

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +51,884
        Thanks for all the suggestions - I've had the day from hell today, and haven't got near the polytunnel; in fact, its been such a bad day that I am just in the door and had half a dinner before deciding that alcohol was the way to go.

I'll get out there first thing in the morning and will update as soon as I can thereafter. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,517

No thoughts?

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +51,884
        Status quo out in the polytunnel this morning - cues still going radio rental (reckon I will be giving some into the canteen at work at this rate), and tomatoes looking generally rough. Everything was pretty dry this morning (not really a surprise given that I wasn't in to water anything last night) so I gave them all a good drink and have left the windows open all day.

Some of the toms are now touching the top of the polytunnel - do I need to nip the top off somehow now to stop them trying to go higher?

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,517
        I would say so, yes.

• Like Like x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings: