Tomato questions

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Neil1961, Jun 16, 2024.

1. Meadowlands

Meadowlands Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
  2. BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
    Ratings:
    +1,565
    What would you rather eat?
    Good luck anyway

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Escarpment

Escarpment Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,065
      Well they always gorge on the rowan berries and there haven't been raspberries in the garden before. Plus lots of comfortable places to sit in the rowan tree whilst eating, and the raspberries aren't so easy to access.

My blueberries fruited for the first time this year and I thought the blackbirds might have them (I always give them my bought ones when they're on the turn and they love them). But they didn't touch them, and they had left the garden by the time the best bush was ripening.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,556
        Male blackbird stripped all the rowan berries ages ago in my garden. :biggrin:
        The native rowans have been fully laden and ripe for weeks here, which is very early, even for those. It's usually around now before they're fully ready. The other varieties are ripening at the normal sort of rate.
        There's lots of blackbirds disappearing in and out of hedgerows here, with fully laden beaks, so they must have youngsters. The whole season started earlier here, so they've probably had a couple by now, or maybe even a third, although I don't know if that's common here.

• Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1,714
        I am in mid Cornwall, growing my tomatoes under glass. They are just in full growing mode at last. Lots of plant growth, flowers and and some fruit setting. I have stopped a couple at roof height of the greenhouse, 5 trusses of flowers. Now I have my fingers crossed we have an Indian Summer to allow some of the fruit to ripen.
        I have eaten my mini cucumber and started on the Telegraph. Thin skins, tender and sweet flavour. So much better than shop ones. Now I have to wait for the next batch to form and grow, plenty of nucleus fruit on each plant.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1