Tomato Taste Test 2017

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Sep 13, 2017.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,645
    I usually grow a few outside every year, concentrating on the bigger varieties like San Marzano which I only grow for dehydrating purposes. I wouldn't recommend San Marzano if you have limited space. I usually plonk in any spares that I can't cram into my greenhouse, so I've found both Floridity and Sungold grow well outdoors and if anything taste better than my pampered greenhouse plants.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
        Ratings:
        +6,224
        Don't let me put you off @HsuH I haven't grown any marmande before so I can't compare the two.

Floridity looks and sounds good, as does golden nugget and sweet aperitif. Might give crimson crush a go outside too

• Like Like x 2
        • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
          +21,175
          I grew a few this year, black cherry, marmande and craigella (ailsa Craig variant).
          The black cherry were tasty and acidic but thick skinned. The ones I grew outside seemed bigger and thinner skinned but had less punch in taste. Quite a few fruits but not prolific.
          The marmande were very short on supply but hugely tasty as always and perfect in a burger.
          The craigella were also thick skinned and split frequently, taste was nothing to write home about.

Actually, I've just realised I grew super Roma too - these almost down to the one got blossom end rot. Tasteless and small fruits. Big disappointment.

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Cooked up a couple of Ox Hearts with onions an garlic today, lovely :spinning: DSCI0002 (5).JPG

• Like Like x 3
            • HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,257
              Sorry for this late reply.

Since I've already got the seeds I'll, at least for next year, give it a try and will report back here the result in due course.

With the help from this thread I've now got the candidates for beef tomatoes settled:). Does anyone have some tasty normal sized one to suggest?

Since black cherry and sweet aperitif are not F1 varieties i have saved some seeds. The plants are growing in the same greenhouse together with floridity, sungold and tigrella, therefore I'm not sure if the resulting seeds will lose their identities. But if any of you want to have some please let me know. :ccheers:

• Like Like x 2
              • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                They should be fine, toms very rarely cross :)

• Like Like x 2
                • Agree Agree x 2