Tomatos. Should I bother

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by harryb, Mar 13, 2011.

1. penny_lane

penny_lane Gardener

working with animals
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks Luke, I hadn't thought of that will investigate further!

[hr]
    Thanks John, that doesn't seem to be what is in my greenhouse unless a piece of pipe is missing (whch is possible). Up until now I have just watered toms, chillis, peppers and cucumbers either in the eve or morning as you do.

2. bi9johnny

bi9johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    i am by no means up on gardening but when we took our house last year the pre owner said his father could not grow anything in the greenhouse with success but i managed a massive crop of toms loads of cucs chilli and peppers .....i think the thing that apeals to me is the trial and error:dbgrtmb:

3. penny_lane

penny_lane Gardener

working with animals
    Ratings:
    +63
    I too had lots of toms and cucumbers on my first year, but the peppers and chillis seemed to grow really slowly, though the plants I gave my mother, which she left in pots on the patio grew HUGE!?! :scratch:

4. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    John grows exactly they "visual" type I was referring too. There is also a yellow pear shaped one that is suppose to be good.

5. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I must admit the different coloured tomatoes do look interesting and I might try some. My problem is that every plant has to justify itself and earn a place in the Greenhouse so my first reaction is to grow known tasty "conventional" types.

The other problem is that when you're giving away some of the crop, some of the non-gardeners who are offered the toms look at the unusual coloured ones with great suspicion:DOH:

It's not too late to get a packet of seeds of a different variety, although my Rosada, Juliet and Shirley tomato plants are doing well and I've just done a second sowing.

So, has anyone got any recommendations for a variety? - Redstar?, JWK??:scratch:

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Armandii, they all have their pros and cons. I grew Floridity F1 for the first time last year as it had won the RHS taste test. Whilst it is nice I still prefer Golden Sunrise. The black varieties taste savory whilst Gardeners Delight is lovely sweet and juicy. My wife likes completey differet ones to me, she loved the big beefsteak type Amish Paste last year in salads. I know what you mean about people treating non-red toms with suspicion, it doesn't seem natural - but it's well worth experimenting :thumbsup:

7. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    That's easy... Sungold :D Sorry if it's already been mentioned. Quite a small tom, but full of sweetness, best I've tasted.

8. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Thanks, Freddy. The best tasting tomato I've ever tasted so far is the small plum tomato "Rosada", which is why I'm growing it again.:thumbsup:

9. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi ARMANDII.

I too have tried Rosada, which I found was superb when cooked in the oven, SO sweet. But I thought they were a little dry when eaten raw. Trust me, try Sungold :WINK1: