Tree Fern advice please (Dicksonia Antartica)

Discussion in 'Trees' started by kevmiller, Apr 3, 2008.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Why dont I see more tree ferns in peoples gardens, the GCs are selling them like mad, the price is getting cheaper, but I dont see that many.
    OK, I dont get around that much, but I do see palms in gardens.
    I reckon most die a very slow death, and when will the supply run out?
    Best left in the places they come from I believe.
    If you want one get a small one grown from spores, in a nursery, and watch it grow.

Just my thoughts on another rip off from the wild.
    So they put a fancy label on it saying its going to die anyway, wether you buy it or not, cant think of any other plant that is sold in this way.:(

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi pete. There`s some truth in what you say, about how they have taken these plants from the wild, and there is an element of regret on this issue. As for watching it grow, I don`t know if i`ll live that long ! Anyway, it`s my intention to give it a good home, and with the help of you guys here, I hope it will thrive. Cheers...freddy.

3. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Yeah I know what you mean freddy, I just cant understand the modern fashion for plants that are uprooted in the wild and stand very little chance of survival in their new home if the owner stops watering them for a year.
    I've always liked growing all kinds of plants that need constant care, but never from the wild.
    Either nursery grown or grown from seed myself.

As I say tree ferns seem to be the "wild orchids" of the past, the only excuse is, "we were going to kill it anyway".

A sad state of affairs.

4. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi again pete. There`s a place very near to me that has hundreds of these in stock. I think that one of the problems is that they are so cheap, and therefore not valued. I can get a 6 footer for just over £100. As I understand it, that`s 60 years growth ! That`s great for someone that wants to create something special (like myself) but not so great when someone wants one on a whim. Trust me, I know the `value`, which is why I`m asking questions. Cheers...freddy.

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Yeah I realise that Freddy and I wish you luck.
    I'm sure you will sucseed.:)

6. compost maker

compost maker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought 2 at Xmas but there were no instructions with it. I complained at the time as I was watering round the base and not the middle. One plant has fronds the other is bare. I phoned upSeagrave and they have offered me another if it hasnt grown in 3 weeks. Can be fairer than that !!
    Stake it really well though Jean PS Can you use Miracle Grow and if so do you put it down the middle?
    PPS Wher on this new site is the Please Email me the reply box?

7. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    When feeding, you are better off using a fertiliser high in nitrogen.

8. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    As my tree fern appears to be finally defunct, I'm very pleased to hear that prices have come down. Mine was smaller than daisys' and cost £30 3 years ago. Where are they all coming from? Are they all from the wild?
    They're lovely, perhaps I'll try B&Q, and try not to kill it this time. Or find a home grown one.