1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

tree fern

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Mel, May 11, 2007.

1. Greybelle

Greybelle Gardener

Ratings:
    +33
    Good news. The gardening website sent me a replacement dicksonia fern - at least I think it is as it came in a black bag labelled 'star jasmine vine'. Its not a jasmine but definitely a fern ( see photo 1) Then the little dead looking plant started to grow (photo 2). I really thought it was dead but kept spraying it as Verdun suggested. Now I just need to re-pot them both. Should I use ericaceous compost or just something general?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      I would use ericaceous compost Greybelle but straight john Innes would be fine too.
      Two for the price of one ...excellent :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,062
        That's good news now you have two. The replacement looks to have very weak fronds that are shooting up too fast searching for light. It needs a cool spot with plenty of light, a spare unheated bedroom windowsill perhaps.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Greybelle

Greybelle Gardener

Ratings:
          +33
          Unfortunately, the fronds of the new pant started shrivelling and dying. I'll cut them off and see what happens. Windowsills seem to be too cold and non-windowsill areas have too little light. I think I need to get plant lights. I have masses of plants indoors and it always seems to be a problem each winter. Even my aspidistra complains!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,694
            More likely a dry atmosphere, I doubt a window sill at this time of year would be too cold for a tree fern.
            New fronds are very tender, until they harden.

• Greybelle

Greybelle Gardener

Ratings:
            +33
            Really good to know, Pete. I have been spraying them daily. The temp at my windowsill is 10degrees. The room was 14 degrees this morning. I'll spray them several times a day from now on. Thanks

• Like Like x 1