tree ferns

Discussion in 'Trees' started by carolla, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for your reply Whis4ey and all your wonderful advice I didn't want to rush out and buy a tree fern and not know what size is ideal for me as I know Bob will say something like 'it doesn't look like it's happy Hel'.

It seems I will have to get one of a decent size and treat it like a baby which is no problem of course...done that!
    Love your tree fern by the way it seems pretty happy to me :D

Hi Honey Bee don't think I have 'spoken' to you yet?...many thanks also for your help too.

I never thought about having to plant the tree deep into the ground [​IMG] silly me!

I know BM appears to have most of his in pots and they do seem pretty happy and look so amazing, its mainly because of BM's plot that has inspired me to go 'tropical' in the first place although I know I will never have a little jungle like his.... although one can always hope! ;)

If you see most of the plant in a pot rather than some missing into the ground then in a pot seems the better deal to me also you would be able to move it about as long as it's not too heavy because I know when I do get my first tree fern it will have to take pride of place in my garden! :D
    Helen.xxx.

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    hehehe
    Mine got too heavy to move about and that is why I decided to 'plant' it in the first place
    I lost maybe a foot and a half in the process
    BM's ideas sound good, and if it is kept in a pot the pot itself could be disguised by planting some other ferns around the base? or maybe a hosta??

3. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Updated my overwintering method so only fitting I post a picture.

The tree ferns got a wrap of landscaping fabric to hold in some of the heavy leaf fall from this year. Normal natural protection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Now THAT is a tree fern [​IMG]

5. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Seemed like a good idea to find a more simple way of doing things, especially when you have 12 to wrap !

6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Looking good BM, fingers crossed for a mild winter, just this morning I was Thinking about your tree ferns [​IMG] bcos when I went out to clear up some dead plants, it was really mild and I thought oooh BMs tree ferns will be OK today :)funny what pops into your mind sometimes :rolleyes: ....

7. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    :D ooo thankyou, nice to be thought of :D Treeferns are fine at the moment but the bananas and brug are looking crispy, but I think there's enough dormant growing energy for 2008 [​IMG]