1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical plants for small area

Discussion in 'Wants Lists' started by minki, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I'm growing quite a number of Allium from seed this year. I'm surprised how little growth they are making, barely a second leaf as yet. My Onions, from seed, put on leaves like they are going out of fashion! The Poncy Varieties could learn a thing or two from the more Common cousins :)

So, sadly, I think it IS going to be years before they come to anything.

I remember when my Allium Purple Sensation (what a useless cultivar that is! no wonder all the bulb companies give it away free!) self-seeded all around itself. Whoopee I though! That was 3 year ago, the "grass" that grew then is hardy any more significant this year, than it was that first year.

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Totally spot on. Close to 100% here using this method.

I think that this is the same for a number of bulbous plants, which are happy to produce nothing more than embryonic leaves. The upside is that they are growing the bulb under the soil right from the off.

Hallelujah! I thought that it was just me thought that about it:heehee:

More of a teenager going through a Goth phase..........................

• Like Like x 2