TT Races Isle Of Man

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by wiseowl, Jun 3, 2015.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Good evening @Sheal yes I have always followed Conor Cummins he is an inspiration and never gives up have followed him since about 2006 when he won the Newcomers race at the Ulster Grand Prix,,if it wasn't for his accident in 2010 I think he would be right up there, :smile:

If there was any doubt about the severity of Conor Cummins’ injuries after his 150mph crash at the TT in June, these X-rays dispel it. The McAdoo Kawasaki rider sent them to MCN to show just how much work his medical teams have put in to give him a chance to ride again.

Because of the severity of the damage to Conor’s back – he broke five vertebrae, and several were completely shattered – a series of rods were inserted to stabilise his spine. Without the metalwork there was a risk a vertebrae could move and sever the nearby spinal cord, resulting in paralysis.

The back X-rays show two 10in rods running up either side of the spine, starting at the base just above his pelvis and going all the way to just below the level of his shoulder blades (ie his entire lumbar section). The main rods are interlinked with two horizontal rods around the worst of the fractures.

Conor said the 11 hour operation on his back was a success, and has stabilised his spine – it’s now a case of letting it mend. The rods will stay in there for two and half years, though Conor is aiming to be back on a bike in 2011.

Then there’s his left arm. The X-rays show this has been completely rebuilt with two plates and 16 screws holding the multiple fractures together. You can also see another simple fracture higher up the arm which the surgeons didn’t need to plate. The presence of screws near the elbow joint is the most serious element of this X-ray, as it implies the joint surface itself was fractured which could lead to movement problems later.

As if all that wasn’t enough, the poor bloke has also got a seriously damaged knee which has had to be completely fixated because of massive ligament damage.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
      Ratings:
      +857
      How about your all time best motorcycle ??

How about the Britten ?

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,892
      Connor Cummins is obviously a popular racer. It amazes me even with the extent of his injuries he is still determined to make the podiums. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,892
        Why did you pick the Britten Charlie?

• Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
        Ratings:
        +857
        Because it's a bike like no other. Built in basically In a shed by the late great engineer John Britten. It was one of the first bikes That truly used the engine as a fully stressed part of the chassis And the chassis was in reality the frame.
        It sounded absolutely amazing ( I saw one on test at Silverstone being tested back in I think 89/90 .

I suppose it was because it was the under runner and a flawed package but it just had its own atmosphere. As I say above a bike like no other .

What I would give to do a few laps on A Britten at my favourite place to ride in the world. The Nurbergring..

• Like Like x 2
          Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
        • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
          Ratings:
          +857
          To come back from injury in sport is tough. To come back from injury to go and ride in a sport where the injury could so easily bite one again demonstrates courage that to me is admirable !
          I never made a sufficient recovery to get back to speed but to tell the truth that demonstrates I just did not want it or perhaps to take those risks again.
          Of course the top riders are in a completely different league and no mistake but my admiration for those top guys is 100 percent.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,892
          I can understand your liking for the Britten and you have a better understanding of these machines than I ever will. :)

With a family of bikers you'd think I would have something specific in mind but I don't. I will say though that I always liked my son's choice of bikes. He prefers road bikes to sports bikes although currently without, and one that he owned some while back was a Honda X11, a beast of a bike that gave him power on the road. He changed the exhausts along the way which gave it a deep throb and made the house shake on start up. :) It had simple lines but always turned other bikers heads when he was out and about. He also regrets changing it for something else earlier than he needed too. The last bike he owned before moving to America three years ago was a Ducati Monster.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +53,892
            You're right about the courage after injury but I suppose that goes for any sports person in whichever sport they are involved, though I accept there is greater risk and danger in motor sport. Returning to motorcycling after injury really takes nerves of steel......or madness! :)
            My son is of the opinion if you fear anything when riding a bike, particularly at speed then you shouldn't be on one.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
              Ratings:
              +857
              The X11 took its engine from the Honda Blackbird which was a super sport tourer once hailed as the fastest bike on the planet. Well in a straight line. I had Blackbird back in 2002. The engine in the X was tuned for midrange tourqe and suited the chassis of the bike perfectly ! Great bike !
              Never got into Ducatis to much as they were expensive and uncomfortable for a 6.4 bloke like me ! Wonderfull Italian flair and engineering but a bit fragile .

• Like Like x 1
              • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                +8,083
                Busy watching the programme on ITV4 about this years TT and very interested in your discussion with Charlie. I know b all about bikes but so admire all the riders and enjoy watching the races. What your son says Sheal about fear also applies to the sport my daughter was heavily involved with for 15 year (competitive horse riding ). If you are the slightest afraid of doing it DON'T as unlike a bike the horse will feel the vibes and also become fearful, but similar to bike riding, I suspect, if you are frightened then you are more likely to end up killing yourself and in the case of equine sport your horse! I would put pro bike riders and jockeys in the same bracket, how the hell do you go back and do something which has damaged you severely? Not sure if they are incredibly brave or bonkers or both, but whatever they are I admire them.

• Like Like x 3
                • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +53,892
                  My son stands 6ft Charlie and the monster was a little on the small side for him. It's the only Ducati he owned and I don't think he'd have another one. My younger daughter is here with him on a Fireblade.

183.JPG

Surprisingly Silu most accidents are caused by other road users and not rider error but I can see how it applies to horse riding as well. Having said that there are quite a few idiots on bikes that never learn by their mistakes, particularly here during TT. Inevitably some will be involved in or cause an accident.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
                    Ratings:
                    +857
                    I think its build as well as height that puts me off some of the smaller bikes. All my life ive trained hard in the gym alongside my involvement in martial arts since the age of 11. Im 6.4 and I'm told I resemble a brick out house . So the likes of Ducati have limited appeal . Great machines but I just look daft on them .

There is a profound difference between fear and respect. No fear is essential but a little respect is also essential unless the rider has absolutely no cares in the world for his safety.

You know in a way that is how I view certain riders like young Michael . He looks to me to have not the smallest modicum of either fear or respect for his safety. To me that is a dangerous combination ! Take Guy. Fast ? Ohh yes but Guy is a thinker and thought instills either fear or respect and in Guys case I think its definitely respect. If I'm brutally honest I think since Guys success in other aspects of his life the candle has dimmed just that wee bit. No doubt his competitiveness means he wants that top spot on the rostrum but at what cost ?

Its hard to explain but you are way in front of me I bet :smile::smile:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
                      Ratings:
                      +857
                      The glorious inspirational Britten....
                      [​IMG]
                      [​IMG]

The sound this bike made on full chat had to be heard to be believed !

• Like Like x 3
                      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                        +8,083
                        You get a fair dose of idiots in horse riding too Sheal! Interesting reading about Charlie's views on "thinkers". I believe like competition horse riders, bike riders visualize the courses and "practise" the courses mentally many times before they actually race the course? Eventers who have any sense do that too. The ideal jumping horse and rider should be both brave and careful. To me the 2 qualities seldom go together and perhaps this is the same with bike riders, careful planning then be incredibly brave to execute the plan. Hope it's not so windy today in the IOM. Was dreadful here yesterday, force 8 and much damage in the garden:cry3: . Bit better today but still fairly wild. I hope there aren't 100s of tents floating in The Irish Sea. I feel for all your camping visitors, not fun.

• Like Like x 1
                        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +23,091
                          The man is an incredible talent. To a certain extent I fear for all the road racers as they're only a stray pebble away from disaster but Michaels apparent search for success at all costs is a dangerous approach. Josh Brookes said no way would he consider jumping on a bike (and the Millwaukee Yamaha is familiar to him) to do the island with no preparation.

Do you remember Aprilias first attempt at MotoGP? Gobsmacking noise!

On a different tack which riders would you have liked to see have a shot at the IOM? Simmoncelli (RIP) and Anthony Gobert spring to mind as does the late Yasutomo Nagai. And it would have been interested to see what Colin Mcrae could have done in motorcycle racing generally.

• Like Like x 1