TT Races Isle Of Man

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by wiseowl, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,892
    The Dunlop team have stated that William didn't sustain any broken bones and although bruised may be taking part in racing later in the week. :)

2. Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
    Ratings:
    +857
    If you mean the Zero electric bike I've no idea . I can't imagine what a gear less bike with no engine braking would feel like . It may suit a rider that used to to ride the old two stroke engined machines which also had no engine braking but I think Guy has not raced one of those. No matter what though he will give it his best shot!

The side cars show how bumpy the island is but they have almost no suspension so they give an accurate picture of all the dips and bumps. Incredible speed from those 600cc engines carrying so much weight which of course means engines have l heavy fail rate .

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,892
      ......And the side cars are on the only roads that are looked after! Our taxes pay for the upkeep of the course's resurfacing whenever it needs it but we have to put up with potholes and patching everywhere else!

I thought I'd give you an insight as to what happens around the course when roads are closing/closed.

The marshal's make their way to there given points all round the course and they are in pairs or sometimes more, they are usually within sight of marshal's further along or further back on the course and spacing is determined by bends and straights. Somebody within each of these groups will have first aid experience, a walkie-talkie and flags. They are the first to deal with any incident until the vital services arrive.

Every road that meets the course at junctions around it's 38 miles is closed and access is either barricaded or taped off until roads open. Some of these junctions have police and an ambulance in situ. Every privately owned vehicle has to be removed from the course before road closure and if it isn't the police will have it removed and a huge fine will follow for the owner. Any person caught on the course will also be apprehended and fined.

When everyone and everything is in the required places the roads will be closed at hopefully the stated time. A 'fast' car will then leave the grandstand in Douglas to do one complete circuit of the course checking that everything is as it should be and nothing needs removing from the course. From then on the races can go ahead. Quite often there can be a long delay before the first race starts and that's the time I like to be in my garden. Peace, perfect peace! Just bird song for company! :) A helicopter will follow the riders around the course filming.

If there is a minor accident the marshals will deal with it and although flagged the race will continue around the incident. If there's a major accident racing will be stopped while emergency services deal with it, quite often the T.T. air ambulance (helicopter) will be brought in to take those injured to hospital. Meanwhile, we have a number of retained fire stations around the island and fire fighters will be manning these throughout T.T. should they be needed. If the incident takes some while to deal with then that particular race will probably be abandoned, the roads will remained closed until that particular days events are finished or abandoned for whatever reason. Roads may be closed at 9.30am and can remain closed until 9.30pm during race week, held on alternate days. If there are issues then racing will be held over to the following day. Roads are closed during the evening for practice week.

When racing is finished no one is allowed on the course until the 'roads open' car has again circuited the course. Junctions will then be opened for normal but usually chaotic movement. :doh::)

Anyone that lives on or close to the course has to make a choice of whether to spend their day in or away from their home as there is no access once roads close. Unless, like myself, they can park their vehicles somewhere off the course before road closure and have access to it on foot. Any household emergency that occurs during road closure means that the race in progress will be red flagged to allow emergency services access. The island's working day has to function round this and it can quite often mean gridlocking and panic during practice week in particular, due to evening road closures. If the vital home run slot is missed before road closure then we can find ourselves spending the evening out!

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
        Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
      • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
        Ratings:
        +857
        I've done a bit of marshalling myself over the years. Just my way of giving a wee bit back ..

• Like Like x 2
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,892
          It's something I'd love to do Charlie but I haven't got the right temperament for it. :doh:

• Like Like x 1
          • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
            Ratings:
            +857
            Ohh I bet you have !! It's not bad at all and very rewarding plus you really do get the best viewing places !!

• Like Like x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +53,892
              No, I'd panic if I had to deal with an accident and be totally useless! :doh:

• Like Like x 1
              • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                +8,083
                Thank you very much Sheal for so much insight as to what it must be like to be a resident on The IOM during the TT. Enjoyed watching the racing tonight on IT4 and now watching a fascinating programme about Joey Dunlop. A real enigma/genius on a bike.
                I too bet you wouldn't panic in a crisis. I have fence judged at many horse events and had to deal with a few horrors which like the bike racing happen in a split second. You are so busy dealing with the situation you don't even think about not coping. It used to be hours later that I'd begin to shake!

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +53,892
                  Joey was an amazing man both on his bikes and off them. He was a quiet man but would always pass the time of day with the people of the island. I was walking one day along a footpath on the other side of a road to where his bike repair shop was, which I didn't know at the time. He appeared from nowhere, in full leathers of course and called across to me, he wished me good morning and asked if I was well. :)

At last years T.T. there was a large collection of his bikes in a marquee at the grandstand in Douglas and I managed to get photo's of them all. This one below he built and raced in his second T.T. here. :)

021 Joey Dunlop's Display (28 bikes) MGP 2014.JPG

• Like Like x 3
                  • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
                    Ratings:
                    +857
                    Great to see John return to form yesterday with a convincing win and a new outright lap record.
                    Just the lightweights to watch on telly tonight.

Thanks to Wiseowl for a great thread Sheal for the pictures and local IOM knowledge and the input from everyone who has taken part in this thread that has made my week !

Thanks !

Charlie.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +53,892
                      It was good to see ( I say that loosely) John's brilliant return Charlie but I think he stole Hutchies thunder after the good week he's had. I would like to have watched the race but with no television and a sick computer I wasn't prepared to risk it. :doh:

Now, how about Guy? I think we'll hear very shortly that this was his last T.T. I don't think his hearts in it any more.

Yes thanks to @wiseowl for this thread, perhaps when you see this you might like to make your own comment on the racing please. :)

I'd also like to thank the weather that did us proud for race week after the disaster of practice week! :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • silu

Ratings:
                        +8,083
                        Really enjoyed watching the lightweights tonight and Sheal your Island was looking so beautiful. I wonder if you are right about Guy? He seems a great character and has, I presume been good for the sport , widening it's appeal? I am no aficionado so I may well be completely wrong on this. Know there is a person who is huge in eventing which Jo public thinks is wonderful. In reality she is an absolute cow but puts on a very appealing face for her adoring fans.
                        Sad news of the Frenchman, hope Jamie Hamilton isn't too bad.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +53,892
                        Thanks Silu, yes the island does look good this time of year particularly when the sun shines. :)
                        Guy is an amiable character but will speak his mind if something upsets him. Do you remember Fred Dibnah, the man that used to demolish the huge industrial chimneys? Later in life he got involved in other unusual things and this is where I see Guy heading and possibly making documentaries along the way. The shot below was taken at Groudle Glen near Douglas where he was looking over a railway steam engine.

Guy.jpg

Jamie Hamilton has been flown to Liverpool for treatment and remains in a critical condition, I think we all hope he makes a good and speedy recovery. Sadly,we lost a few racers this year and a number of others sustained injuries. Unfortunately there has also been losses and injuries amongst motorcycling visitors as well.

We don't mess about here, the worst sentence you can give somebody visiting the island during T.T. is to take that away from them when they misbehave. Usually they get put straight on the boat home but this one below pushed his luck.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle...7298888?WT.mc_id=Outbrain_text&obref=obinsite

Despite all the above and with the amount of visitors the island has to sustain during T.T. there is very little trouble and most are minor incidents. They are here to have a good time with fellow riders and to watch the races. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
                        • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                          Ratings:
                          +91,667
                          Good morning @Sheal and @Charlie996 and @silu thanks for all your input and knowledge,Its been a real learning curve for me for that I thank you,I really enjoyed every minute of this years TT,:ThankYou::smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • silu

Ratings:
                            +8,083
                            Wish mainland Britain wouldn't pussyfoot around offenders and take a leaf out of the courts in The IOM Sheal! Can see exactly why there need to be strict rules in place. We are obviously in the realms of the difference between life and death, literally! Yes I remember Fred fondly. I can see huge similarities between him and Guy now you come to mention it. Expect you will be glad in a way to get your Island back to normality for a while before the next batch of races.

• Like Like x 1