Understanding coverage of climbing plants

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by latimer, May 5, 2024.

1. latimer

latimer Gardener

Ratings:
    +206
    @Pete8 I’m a visual person so I’ve done a match to clarify :)

IMG_0366.jpeg

You’re suggesting that plant 2 be something that will climb up the post and along the top of the pergola towards the fence as it will want to do so naturally?

Plant 1 planted at the other post would be trained along the trellis only?

2. Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,033
    Yes that looks about right.
    Plant 2 will naturally grow toward the south so will grow roughly in the direction you want but will need some encouragement to grow eastwards along the support.
    Plant 1 will try and grow toward the south still, but it'll be no problem to keep it going in the direction you want, you'll just need to keep on top of the tying-in.
    TJ will be easier to train than my roses as the stems are really thin and flexible and can easily be tied-in.

It doesn't really matter where you plant them, but it just makes life a little easier if the plants are growing naturally in the direction you want.

When I first built my pergola about 35yrs ago I planted the huge rose Francis E. Lester on the south side and tried to get it to grow in a northerly direction so it would cover the whole pergola. It was a very vigorous rose and the bulk of the growth was in the wrong direction.
    A few years ago it was removed and I replaced it and a couple of others with The Garland.

TJ are hungry plants and will appreciate a good feed in Spring (either a rose fertilizer or blood, fish and bone) and a good mulch to preserve moisture.
    They only problems I've had with them is if they dry out in the summer sun. Invariably they got scale insects. Not a big deal and I never treated them with anything. The black sooty mould that was left was washed away by rain over a few months.
    In a cold winter some leaves will turn red and some folk are concerned that it's a disease. It's not, it's just a reaction to the cold and many of the red leaves will return to green the following Spring.
    It's a fabulous plant with an incredible scent.

One of mine from a few years ago growing with Julia Correvon
    upload_2024-5-6_13-17-13.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • latimer

latimer Gardener

Ratings:
      +206
      Cheers @Pete8 i think that’s confirmed T. J. for the trellis!

• Like Like x 1