Us lot..on the buses,old days

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by joolz68, Nov 11, 2012.

1. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    When I was starting school (age 5'ish) we lived 2.9 miles from School. The regulations were that pupils living 3 miles away were entitled to free bus travel.
    I had a 2.9 mile walk each way (with other similarly badly off kiddiwinks). It made it a long day - until there was an accident and one of the kids got badly hurt. We then qualified for free travel:scratch:

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    This is not the same thing, but you've just reminded me of something that had me in uncontrollable fits of laughter.

On the bus to work once, the route took us through a little skinny bit of road with a few shops on it and a very tight bend. Awkward enough for any vehicle, but a nightmare for buses. To make matters infinitely worse, there were always lots of cars illegally parked on double yellows on that little bit of road.

One time, the bus driver was very carefully negotiating his way through this insanely tight piece of road. One of the illegally parked cars was a very expensive looking BMW 4x4. I was sat near the back of the bus, and I saw the gap between me and this BMW closing. I thought to myself, 'shall I warn the bus driver?', then decided not to. Moments later the the bus crushed the car's wing mirror. It didn't knock the mirror off, it crushed it into little shards that sprinkled all over the floor. After that little lesson, I expect the owner of that particular car would probably think twice about parking illegally with absolutely no regard for other road users.[/quote]

• Like Like x 4
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,979
      Our little village had no bus service so they used to send a taxi for the 5 or 6 kids each day. I hated the taxi so when I was seven I was allowed to cycle the 3 miles to school.

The very few times I went on a bus as a kid was quite an adventure. As soon as you bought your ticket you had to add up the 4 numbers printed on the bottom, if they added up to 21 it was lucky, I don't know why but I still remember the warm feeling of getting a lucky ticket and showing it off to the other kids.

• Like Like x 4
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,248
        I remember that now adding the 4 ticket numbers to get a 21 , what a dim and distant memory that was ! :blue thumb: Must be why I like a game of Pontoon now . :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2