USB v Memory Card

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by wiseowl, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,823
    Ah right, I'm with you now, thanks.

Yes, I got a disc with mine but didn't bother with it, I'm glad I didn't now. Can I use a USB directly from camera to computer without the software installed?

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Yes, when you connect the camera to the computer with the USB lead and then switch the camera on a window will appear on the computer screen asking if you want to use Windows to download the images from the camera. When you've done that another window apperars, usually in the bottom right hand corner asking if you want to name them, and then if you want to download them.....click and name them if you want, and click on the window again to download.:snork:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      I like what the Canon software does with my images - not to say that everyone else would though!
      • Download only "New" images
      • Put them in a folder (in a location that I can configure) and name that folder based on the date that the photos were taken (so if I leave it a few days, and use the camera every day, when I connect it will create several folders)
      • Optionally add a Suffix to the folder name (e.g. "Joe's Wedding")
      • Optionally delete photos from Camera's card after downloading

• Agree Agree x 2
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        I guess it's all a case of personal choice when using software. I prefer having the option to choose which software I want to use. But Silkypix, Lightroom 4, CS6 will assume control of the images downloaded by it whereas with Windows I can decide on which I want.

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,823
          Thanks Armandii. I'm not sure that would work for me. At present when my photo's have loaded I put them into a 'Sorting' file until I'm ready to make adjustments or move them. Very few of my pics are named. Are you saying that if I want to to name them it would be while they are still in the camera, or when they are on computer?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,668
          Indeed. The Canon software doesn't do anything with the images after download (although it can), so I then do whatever I want with them.

I am mostly taking pictures to keep (well ... being a hoarder are my pictures are Keepers!), so having them filed by date is fine by me. I might then reduce the size of some that I took today and upload them here :)

In your case I expect most?? of your images are part of your Photography hobby and thus you will post-process them after download?

Me too, my Canon software downloads them as IMG_1234.jpg. I leave that name (as it is an ascending number, so chronological, and I rename those that I want to with a suffix e.g. IMG_1234_QuercusRobur.jpg - the if I upload it to a forum and change the name to "IMG_1234_Oak" or "IMG_1234_Small.jpg" then if I stumble over it in a different context, in a year's time say, I can still fine where IMG_1234 is on my system with a few trial-and-error clicks around my file folder tree structure.

If I photograph a plant for my records I photo the plant first, and then its label last. Once downloaded I do the Suffix-rename based on the label's photo (and then usually I delete the Label photo, if it adds nothing else to the story)

Just my 2p worth.

• Like Like x 1
          • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +91,507
            Good morning all,Pete I sympathise with you my friend,of course you could alwaus uninstall your Nikon software and thank you everyone for your input,much appreciated:)

• Like Like x 1
            • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,248
              I was thinking the same John , the first ever GC concensus . Normally when you ask a question you get three answers - Yes - No - Possibly !

• Agree Agree x 1
              • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +16,248
                Pete , I am only a point and click photographer ,I use a Nikon Compact the software that came with it is very good " View NX2 ". Download link below - not sure if it is fully free or a 30 day trial .
                http://nikonimglib.com/nvnx/index_en_eur.html#os-windows
                It has all the features of Kristens Canon software as copied below. It auto loads as soon as the USB is connected , then just press download . Files are stored in a transfer folder where you can delete all the dross and then file them away .
                • Download only "New" images
                • Put them in a folder (in a location that I can configure) and name that folder based on the date that the photos were taken (so if I leave it a few days, and use the camera every day, when I connect it will create several folders)
                • Optionally add a Suffix to the folder name (e.g. "Joe's Wedding")
                • Optionally delete photos from Camera's card after downloading
                I use the free software packages FastStone to sort my photos and do basic editing. If I need a more complex edit I use PhotoFiltre7 this is free and is great for touching up photos

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,997
                I got into the habit of taking the SD card out of POS zoom pocket cameras after I connected the lead, placed my camera on my desk in front of a book, turned it on and then watched it push itself off the edge as the zoom extended.

• Funny Funny x 2
                • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +91,679
                  The thing is I have my own way of putting them in folders, a new folder each month etc.

I rarely go back and look at them or, virtually never, do any tinkering with the images.
                  I just have them there for reference should I need them.

Its probably a flawed system to anyone else, but I'm used to it.

• Like Like x 1
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,838
                    I doubt that, Pete. We all have different ways of working and storing images. I think my way is definitely more casual, less orderly and organised than yours:heehee:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,838
                      I tend to "sieve" my images when doing a project, especially in macro, and having taking several shots of the same subject from different angles. So l'll look at them on Windows, choose what I think are good to reasonable and those not so good but as an experiment are worth trying to save and the rest get binned..
                      I also flit from software to software but to be honest do as little post processing as possible so usually just a little sharpening, and if needed a little cropping, with a border added. But generally I try to keep the image as to what I thought I saw and the camera saw otherwise I get less satisfaction from taking it.:dunno:
                      My filing organisation and tagging system is to be deplored!!:heehee: I tend to use just "Birds and Insects", "General Images", "Macro Flower Images" for filing into and I still have images in the wrong place!!!:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                        +28,997
                        Me too, by year and then month. If there's some event I want to keep separate I'll create a new folder for it in the relevant year and copy images into it.

• Like Like x 2
                        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +91,679
                          Blimey, someone else does it the same way.:)

• Like Like x 1
                          • Agree Agree x 1