1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Using cuttings under soil

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Conbrue, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Conbrue

Conbrue Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi ,

I have just created a raised bed that now requires filling with soil, I did have some around the garden I have relocated but not enough. I decided tonight to cut back my Pampas grass as it is creating shade on the new raised bed, can I put the cuttings in the bed and eventually cover with soil? Will this help when the cuttings decompose? Is this good practise?

Thanks

2. Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
    +724
    Hi Conbrue

Long term, I'd says it's fine, yes. :) I've done that and it's worked out well. Praxxus55712 on youtube filled his raised beds with grass clippings instead of buying soil and it worked really well.

You've got to be aware that when material in the soil is decaying, it soaks up nitrogen from the soil, which leaves less nitrogen for your plants. So short term, you might not get maximum growth from your plants. :noidea: Long term, the nitrogen releases back into the soil.

R91

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,046
    Organic matter tends to shrink down as it decomposes, so adding it to a raised bed is ok, but dont expect it to actually add to the soil level long term.
    For that you need to add top soil.

4. Conbrue

Conbrue Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, the depth is the size of a sleeper stood up so about a foot. How would you fill it? Soil from the garden then topped with compost?

Ta