Using Laurel Mulch on Vegetable Beds

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by j.owens, Aug 6, 2024.

1. Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
    +373
    I think we need a chemist here. I know cyanide is lighter than air so in theory (and again I'm not a chemist) it should gas off unless you buried it. If the leaves were well shredded then a lot of the problem might have been solved before you even got them.

Anecdotally, laurel is often used down our allotments because it's what the local landscapers tend to deposit for mulch and I'm yet to hear of any problems. The same goes for freshly cut conifers which contain other nasty things.
    With laurels they don't poison the ground underneath but instead out compete everything for nutrients, water and light.

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,060
      I don't think what you did was stupid, I would have probably done the same.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • j.owens

j.owens Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +11
        Thank you. The allotment anecdote is very heartening. Chemists, botanists, previous Laurel compost users - you are all welcome to "chip in" :-) - sorry couldn't avoid making a bad pun. Thanks again, Justine

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,060
        Where is @NigelJ when you want him.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +22,566
        At work.

• Funny Funny x 3
        • j.owens

Ratings:
          +11
          When you get off, if you have any advice - I'd be most thankful for it. All the best, Justine.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +22,566
          As a youngster I had a book on butterflies and moths that told you how to make a "killing jar" using crushed laurel leaves as the killing agent. The hydrogen cyanide from them rapidly dealt with the insect.
          I wouldn't recommend being in a confined space with a pile of shredded laurel leaves, but outside the hydrogen cyanide will just be carried away with any air movement. It also seems to be released fairly slowly as the laurel leaves break down, hence the use of crushed leaves in the "killing jar".
          I also wouldn't expect your potatoes to absorb anything toxic from the laurel leaves.
          I'd tuck in to them when ready.
          Where abouts in the world are you gardening?

• Like Like x 3
          • DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,469
            Can't recall seeing Laurel in Italy, but it's perhaps another regional thing. Lots of Oleander mind you which of course is also (pretty, but) toxic. We used to collect grass cuttings (lots of clover in it) April - May to put down around the veg when we lived out there to avoid the baking soil. I agree it is a different world growing there.

• Like Like x 1
            • pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +92,060
              I have a book on trees that suggests that killing method for butterflies.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +48,968
              I remember reading about a 'relaxing fluid' in my butterfly collecting book, the pharmacist was mystified when I asked for some at Boots, I still haven't got over the embarrassment some 60+ years ago :redface:

• Funny Funny x 2
              • j.owens

Ratings:
                +11
                Thank you NigelJ and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Very much appreciate your advice :-) We live in Central Italy - north of Umbria. It is a very agricultural, traditional area and whilst we have wifi and Amazon vans, we still have only seasonal local veg in the shops and people still dry their own cannellini beans outside the house and make their own jars of passata to get through the winter. I think it is paradise on earth. :-) Thanks again, Justine.

• Like Like x 1
                • j.owens

Ratings:
                  +11
                  Thank you DiggersJo! It is a bit of a challenge - getting used to the extremities of climate and the "I'd like this but I've only got this available" way of thinking does make for some challenges. But I love how one feels more in touch with reality here - everyday things - will it rain today? Nope - everyone else has their washing out to dry :-) Good idea on the grass cuttings - strimming is a national sport round here, so will keep that in mind for next year. Thanks again. Justine.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
                • j.owens

Ratings:
                  +11
                  I want to thank all of you who joined in the thread yesterday. Giving your time and the benefit of your experience was much appreciated. With your recommendations, I took the plunge and went back to the farmer who I got the mulch from. There was a risk that I might come across as ungrateful, and in our small community that is a No-No. Plus, there was always the chance that in not wanting to offend they might evade the question, and that is very typical of the folks I live amongst. However, I felt that plant identification might help me. So, I went and they identified the tree and said they had put the leaves in cooked foods for years, which suggests very strongly that this is Bay Laurel after all. Whilst these still have some toxicity in the fruit I am now assuaged of my concerns. In researching the problem I found the "HTA guide to potentially harmful plants". Sadly, I cannot share the URL or the PDF here as I have not been a member long enough, but looking it up online and downloading the free PDF could be of use to some if faced with similar problems/questions. Once again, I thank you all for your kindness and readiness to help out another gardener. Wishing you lots of joy and happiness in yours. Justine :-)

• Like Like x 5
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +48,968
                    It worked out well in the end then @j.owens :blue thumb:

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                    Ratings:
                    +4,482
                    I agree with @JWK - that's great that you got to the bottom of it - and don't need to worry about your crop either. :smile:

It crossed my mind later on that it could have been Portuguese laurel, but I forgot to mention that anyway!
                    Good luck with your gardening - and if you get a chance, add your rough location to your profile, as that always helps with advice. If you just go into your own settings, you'll see how to do it, but I'm sure you'll get help if you have any problems with it . :smile:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1