Vandalised hedge

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JingleJane, Jun 1, 2008.

1. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    id go for the rose as pro said and we had a spate of hedge fires round here to a couple of years back.....

2. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    shame isnt it if only u could thread it through the middle of the hedge out of sight ;)

3. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    There are a few vicioulsy pricly creepers that could perhaps be grown INTO the hedge. Caesalpinia japonica is as spiny as they come and blooms bright yellow. The roots at least should be really hardy. Attention may be needed that it does not murder the hedge. It should be the second best thing after razor wire, considering it has thorns even in the flower spike!

4. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,857
    You can always put up a small warning sign that you have a prickly hedge, then you will have warned would be hedge divers of the danger of being skewered... Of course with some of the idiots going about they'll see this as a hugely funny game to throw their mates into the spikyness!
    I'm liking the removable holly branches...

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Barbed wire threaded through or firethorn.

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Some of the replies are unbelievable. signs warning about prickly leaves, get real.

fair enough you might be in hot water if you stuck shards of glass in but no ones going to sue you for planting a thorn hedge.

Even more unlikely from some drunken person who probably wont remember the previous night anyway..

7. The Lost Antheus

The Lost Antheus Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry to hear about your hedge :(
    I would plant either Berberis Thunbergii or Pyracantha both VERY thorny and not pleasent to fall in (though of course that is only a problem for the kid being pushed in by his "friends"). A simple wire fence could be used to protect hedges until they thicken up.
    Don't worry about being sued councils plant them all the time as a deterent, something to do with the "natural" state of the hedge as opposed to the "unnatural" state of barbed wire or broken glass (as you used to see on the tops of walls). Do not put up a notice though as then you could be sued as you would be admittting that you thought the hedge could be dangerous and didnot take adequate precautions to prevent someone getting spiked (i don't know like building a wall around the hedge).

8. mztrouble

mztrouble Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The kids I teach do this :( They never go in a prickly hedge again though!!!

9. midnightrose

midnightrose Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Why?! The younger generation confuse me. If you are not brave/deranged enough to put spikes in there I guess some holly might do. :)

10. Beechleaf

Beechleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    At last, a use for cat poo. Lots of people have some they don't need. Perhaps you could put some in the hedge

11. Sar

Sar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear about your hedge. I had someone leap through my hedge to break into my car :mad: they have left a terrible mess now. (although everyone in the neighbourhood has the same hedge 'hole')

I checked out some sites about what to plant and Greater Manchester Police actually recommend planting prickly plants. I have some Pyracanthus to plant in the hole and some roses to line the inside of the hedge to prevent any intruders or children who seem to find my garden fascinating :)

I hope you find something suitable to stop the hedge surfing.

12. hairycaterpillar

hairycaterpillar Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Rosa rugosa is used around the schools here. The kids soon learn not to run through it, it's spikey as hell...Only thing is it's not evergreen. There's some good evergreen berberis, spikey as hell too and flower like crazy............hhehe!